Step children and wills

Surewhitey

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I have a DSD who is my only daughter. In the event that her mother and I die in an accident, who would be in line for my half of assets if there is not a will/trust? Just curious of what the collective says.

This is my first marriage and I have 3 siblings...
Thanks!

Probate. Anything that isn't in writing, so in my interpretation...who knows?

You're married to a woman who has a daughter? If you and your wife died, wouldn't all the money (your money and your wife's money) go to your stepdaughter (without a will or beneficiaries set up)?

I have set up other beneficiaries (not my stepdaughters) for certain accounts I own (401K and IRA) in case we (DH and I both) die at the same time.

Last edited:
You're married to a woman who has a daughter? If you and your wife died, wouldn't all the money (your money and your wife's money) go to your stepdaughter (without a will or beneficiaries set up)?

I have set up other beneficiaries (not my stepdaughters) for certain accounts I own (401K and IRA) in case we (DH and I both) die at the same time.

Yes, my step-daughter...

Yeah, the IRA's & 401ks have a secondary beneficiary, just not in our banking & post-tax trading account.

I've heard that since she isn't my blood daughter, this may be a question that involves surviving siblings...

If you did not adopt her, then she is no relation.
If she is a minor, there might be an obligation.

If the time of death of your wife is determined to be AFTER you, then DW inherits and the daughter after her.

Why take chances ? Write a will NOW

Yeah, we have one for California. We're just needing to update it for Texas. Long overdue.

I would imagine the specifics vary somewhat by state, and by the actual relationship with your DSD (if you formally adopted her, if she was a minor when you married?) but these are questions for an estate attorney...who is going to suggest you both make wills.

When we got married, one of the first things we did was make/have recorded our wills. Why leave anything in doubt?

Over the years, we made changes as needed, even providing for our cats when we had them.

So I have a DSD who is my only daughter. In the event that her mother and I die in an accident, who would be in line for my half of assets if there is not a will/trust? Just curious of what the collective says.

Thanks!

Yeah, we have one for California. We're just needing to update it for Texas. Long overdue.

Since you have a will, even though it's from a different state, the answer to your question is that your estate will be divided according to the provisions of your will. It might be a little messier, take a little longer, and cost a litle more than if the will had been written and signed in Texas, but ultimately it would prevail. If you plan to die while a resident of Texas, get it updated so it's easier on your heirs.

Thanks!

What Cathy said.

[-]The state you live in has a will already made out for you if you don't make your own. I suggest you lookup what the will says. It may surprise you. Badly.[/-]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom