Structural failure of furniture

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone experienced a floor-standing shelf collapse? I have a 1972 particleboard dresser/desk with 3/4" thick shelves. Years ago I added an additional shelf that rests on two crates on top. I used to have one of the shelves packed so tight with magazines and catalogs that the sides started separating from the shelf and I saw the tenon in the shelf. I hammered it back together and added two screws. Recently, the thought of it started scaring me and I lightened the load a little, but I wish I had a better idea of its strength. I'm thinking I should replace it with something of good quality, for strength. Maybe just a self-made hutch to replace the current shelves, or maybe I shouldn't even trust the five legs that support everything. How soon I replace it depends on how much you can scare me.

Last edited:
If it is almost 50 years old and made of particleboard I think you've got good use out of it... time to replace it.

I would replace it. And be thankful that a desk made in 1972 out of particle board lasted this long.

But I wouldn’t replace it with a new particleboard piece. Get a real wood one.

The good news is that no one seems to want old solid wood furniture. Look for something on Craigslist or an estate sale and you should be able to replace it for less than the cost of the wood for a DIY shelf. As has been mentioned on here before, wood prices are out of control.

Wow, I'm surprised your particle board shelf lasted that long. That stuff is cheap, but horribly constructed.

We helped my sister-in-law move once and I picked up a particle board file cabinet to carry it out to the trailer. I got about 20 feet from the front door and it literally exploded in my hands with bits of particle board flying everywhere. Absolute garbage. It was like something out of a cartoon, we couldn't help but laugh.

Since then, I have built all of our own furniture out of 3/4" plywood or solid wood. Yeah, it cost more, but they're built like a tank and will probably outlive me.

Yup, go with wood. Stronger, lighter and humidity won't cause it to decompose.

I’d say you’ve gotten excellent service based on years and use, time to replace it. If you bought the same item today I’d be very surprised if it lasted as long.

"fallaparticle board" is what it is called around here especially if anybody uses it on exterior projects. It gets moisture in it and falls apart, won't even hold a nail very well. Magazines and catalogs can get very heavy when you have a bunch of them.

I agree with the others. Time to let it go.

Here is an example of a solid wooden one that came up in 2 seconds on NH Craigslist. I am sure it's pretty common everywhere.

https://nh.craigslist.org/fuo/d/franklin-solid-wood-shelf/7281714476.html

I've built shelves out of MDF that have held up well over time, always added some type of cap moulding along the long edge to give it extra strength, and it dresses up the front edge of the shelf at the same time.

Attachments

• TCPoplar.png
    TCPoplar.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 154
I just built a storage shelving unit out of a piece of 3/4" plywood. I added a 1"x2" strip along the front edge of each shelf for additional support and to prevent sagging as it will be holding a lot of canned goods. It's glued and screwed together and is so sturdy that I could probably climb on it.

The good news is that no one seems to want old solid wood furniture. Look for something on Craigslist or an estate sale and you should be able to replace it for less than the cost of the wood for a DIY shelf. As has been mentioned on here before, wood prices are out of control.

I love solid wood almost anything.

"fallaparticle board" is what it is called around here especially if anybody uses it on exterior projects. It gets moisture in it and falls apart, won't even hold a nail very well. Magazines and catalogs can get very heavy when you have a bunch of them.

I agree with the others. Time to let it go.

Here is an example of a solid wooden one that came up in 2 seconds on NH Craigslist. I am sure it's pretty common everywhere.

https://nh.craigslist.org/fuo/d/franklin-solid-wood-shelf/7281714476.html
+1 I am surprised when anything particle board lasts more than 20 years unless it is in a place like Arizona with no humidity. Real wood used furniture can be very inexpensive to buy and will last a long time unless it has been in a flood or used as a tap dancing surface for children. I have pieces that are from 10 to over 100 years old in great condition. Even if it has stains or scuffs it can be easily sanded and painted if it bothers you. And would be hard to beat for the price.

Cheers!

I'll replace it with 18" deep steel shelves with plastic containers for now. My furniture philosophy is that furniture should be able to conceal or at least hold large plastic containers. For example, coffee tables should be like big, front-opening boxes. It makes moving things a lot easier.

Here's what the particleboard looks like. The round cut-out is the hardboard from the back that I cut out to access the outlet. If I ever get another piece of furniture that covers an outlet I'll install an access panel in back of it.

I vaguely remember the salesperson telling my mother how this style will last me through college or high school and that a commercial shows a child jumping on the drop-leaf, but he just told me to stand on it and not jump. That's one good thing about heavy particleboard.

Attachments

• dresser-1972.jpg
    dresser-1972.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 22

It's totally amazing to me, I could set up a house for nearly free with all the stuff my nextdoor website folks are giving away..

I've even been tempted to pick up a dining set nicer than ours and throw ours out. :LOL:

Books & magazines are heavy enough to make even solid wood shelves bow over time.

My pet peeve wrt shelving in general is plastic shelf pegs...when they break I usually have to drill out the remains before replacing with metal ones...plastic rated only 5 lbs. each peg versus metal rated 25 lbs. each peg.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought...maybe the OP should check out the "Diet Wars" thread. :) Glad to see it wasn't "weight" related.

In our area - due to humidity and/or salt air, particle board begins to disintegrate after a few years. We had kitchen cabinets at the old place. They had sturdy plywood boxes, but were fronted with particle board doors/drawer fronts. We had to sweep up the little bits of particle board that collected under every facing at least once a day. The cabinets themselves were so good we considered refacing them,but DW did not like the layout of the kitchen - so remodel #1 in Paradise ensued. We no longer have ANY particle board anywhere. It simply does not stand up to time, use, humidity, Paradise or DW. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom