Suburban wildlife

Looked out the back window today and saw some movement up in the giant oak in our back yard. Got out the old glasses and dialed in on a hawk eating somekind of catch, probably a rabbit. I've seen many hawks in my day but this one struck me as different looking. I Googled hawks and found this one noted as a Northern Goshawk. The stripes on the neck feathers is what made it stand out to me. Had himself quite a meal as he was up there for over an hour. Just like that he was gone.

Great shots, Harley. Didn't you have chickens at some point?

Attachments

• foghorn_henery.jpg
    foghorn_henery.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 4
Great shots, Harley. Didn't you have chickens at some point?

Not me. We've got a lot of waterbirds around here, ducks (many flavors), geese, cormorants, coots, herons, etc. The HOA here would plotz if we got a chicken. Hmmm....

I was cleaning down the siding on our house for painting prep. Out pops a bat from the siding edges and flys away. He was about two inches long before folding out his wings. Seeing a black thing this size emerge from a hiding place is quite startling. He was startled too.

Had this happen a few more times. The last time I was using a mild bleach solution and got a chance to wash the bat down thoroughly with fresh water before he took off.

Then there is the porch creature. Currently I've go lights going on under the porch and will put in some wire mesh to keep the thing out once there is evidence it has abandoned ship for good. Could be a possum or maybe even a skunk.

Back
Top Bottom