Sugar-free Gum and Oral Health

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
At my last dental cleaning, I was surprised to see a poster in the hygienist's cubicle advising people to brush twice a day, floss daily, see their dentist, and...chew sugar-free gum?

I gave up gum-chewing long ago, not only because it's an unattractive habit, but because I was under the impression that any gum-chewing is bad for your teeth. So, I thought, maybe the message is: if you must chew gum, don't chew gum that has sugar in it?

The hygienist, on the other hand, said that the ADA now recommends that people chew sugar-free gum, specifically gum sweetened with xylitol. She said it has been shown to reduce plaque formation and thus, improve oral hygiene.

I don't especially want to start chewing gum again, but I do want to do everything I can for my oral health, so...what has anyone heard about the pro's and con's of sugar-free gum?

When I walked in the dentists office two weeks ago to make a payment on his Mercedes, no one was chewing gum. But, then again, in Texas, a "chew" is really all about tobacco. :D

Seriously, have not heard anything and I have been in the dentists office 6 times this year. Next time I go, I will ask.

My dentist used to keep a candy dish of sugar-free Baskin-Robbins hard candy at the receptionist desk. He encouraged it because it increased the flow of saliva.

I used to chew sugar-free gum in college but gave it up because it left a chemical aftertaste. I gave up gum entirely because it seemed like I always ended up losing bits of fillings or other dental work in it and needed expensive repair. Just too "sticky".

Note that xylitol will kill dogs, so keep such gums away from them.
Xylitol Deadly to Dogs?

My dentist has always (OK, 2 decades) had gum at the front counter. Was/is it to encourage losing old fillings and crowns?

Last edited:
Xylitol Deadly to Dogs?

My dentist has always (OK, 2 decades) had gum at the front counter. Was/is it to encourage losing old fillings and crowns?

I'm not ingesting xylitol. It really messes up my digestion. If it kills dogs too, then that is more than enough to keep me away from it.

My dentist has candies at the front counter. I think they are the sugar type! I have never tried one to find out. Maybe he thinks they will increase his business. :LOL: I should ask him about what on earth he is thinking, the next time I go there.

Xylitol Deadly to Dogs?

Thank you for mentioning xylitol and dogs.

My last denist handed out that type of gum. My new one has cookies on the front desk.

After a while, my last denist, grew tired of me telling them about my last piece of gum; in 1996, on my way to South Africa. I lost an onlay( a reverse crown). I was fortunate they sold codeine OCT, if you spoke with the pharmacist(chemist).

Last edited:
Yes, I knew xylitol was protective of teeth. It's also used in toothpaste. We like the Cobalt 5 peppermint gum and have it in the car in case of wanting some after a meal out. We don't chew gum while talking to other people, just in private, so what's nasty about that?

Last edited:
I googled "do dentists recommend sugar free gum" and got the following:

Chewing sugarless gum has been shown to increase the flow of saliva, thereby reducing plaque acid, strengthening the teeth and reducing tooth decay.

The ADA site has a section on it, and apparently certain gums have an ADA-Accepted seal of approval on them.

Still, not gonna make me take it up as a new habit.

4 out of 5 dentists surveyed...

C'mon, I'm not the only one on THIS forum who remembers that ad.

Well, I just remembered that a dentist I often see in our gym, often chews gum while she works out. She and I sometimes chat (she liked that I called dentistry "a nexus of artistry and engineering") so I'll ask her about it. I think Aerides probably nailed it, though - "increases flow of saliva."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom