Teardrop trailers

I love the NuCamp T@b 400 Boondock

https://nucamprv.com/tab400-camper/

Beautiful design, finishes, permanent queen bed.

A close second is the Little Guy Max:

https://golittleguy.com/lg-max/

Today, I would pick the T@b 400. The Max is heavier, but more storage space.

I'd also like Leisure Travel Vans Unity FX if we are building a wish list. :)

Have been thru both. Very nice but close to $30000 new and ultimately still stick built construction of which it is said of nearly all campers " It's not if they leak but when"
I made the mistake last year of selling my entirely aluminum camper( everything: walls, frame structure extruded aluminum floors, cabinets etc. no wood whatsoever also had rigid foam insulation and double pane windows) because I didn't like the cross sectional area when towing reducing my MPG to 11-12. it was only 2600 lbs for a 14 foot trailer with full dry bath etc. If it ever leaked there was nothing to rot ,mildew etc.

On the plus side I sold it for what I bought it for used, They stopped making them last year (Livin Lite camplite 14DB)

If you have an SUV with a roof rack, there are rooftop tents that appear to be pretty nice.

Here's one: Roofnest Falcon

View attachment 35426
I thought about going this route but now in our 60's didn't want to climb in and out during the night to go the bathroom.
Also ultimately it is $3400 for a 4ft x 7 ft tent and still has canvas walls (i.e mold etc) and you have to take it down when camping just to drive to the store

One thought: Think about where you want to be camping. Some places do not allow canvas sided anything due to possible bear attacks.

acadia national park

Attachments

• schoodic point resized.jpg
    schoodic point resized.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 52
  • aliner in garage.jpg
    aliner in garage.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 48
  • acadia and aliner resized.jpg
    acadia and aliner resized.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 52
One thought: Think about where you want to be camping. Some places do not allow canvas sided anything due to possible bear attacks.

Is that true in the area you live? On the West Coast where we have black and brown bears, but not necessarily grizzlies, both tent campers, and soft-sided pop-up campers are allowed in the campsites at national and state parks. However, the rangers enforce not allowing any food storage in any soft-sided campers. Bear-proof lockers are provided at each site.

IIRC when I was in Yellowstone a few years back there ware restrictions against canvas popups and no tents at one or more sites within the park. As I check their website tonight, Fishing Bridge RV Park does not allow them which is where we stayed.

Because grizzly bears frequent the area, no tents or tent campers are allowed.

We have a giant motorhome. We love it...but it’s really only good for long trips and RV parks. I want a small teardrop to take camping in state and national parks, but, 1) I don’t think DW will go with me, and 2) I’ve yet to find one that I can stand up in and take a shower, and still park in my garage. My garage door is 8’, and if I ever find one, I’m pretty likely to run out and buy it.

We have a giant motorhome. We love it...but it’s really only good for long trips and RV parks. I want a small teardrop to take camping in state and national parks, but, 1) I don’t think DW will go with me, and 2) I’ve yet to find one that I can stand up in and take a shower, and still park in my garage. My garage door is 8’, and if I ever find one, I’m pretty likely to run out and buy it.
I think the 16 foot Casita will fit in an 8 foot door. It has the AC in front instead of on the roof. Depending on your height, the shower might accommodate you.

Did some great trips in our Casita Spirit 17ft. Went to Utah, South Dakota, Niagara Falls and Maine down to New York. Liked that we could just pull over to a rest stop on our way from point a to point b and brush our teeth and hit the sack.
They downside of our model was the bed set up. In the middle of the night when nature called the sleeper by the window had to crawl over the other camper to go to the restroom. The main reason of selling our Casita was my snoring! Wife just couldn't handle it anymore.
Molded fiberglass trailers hold there value very well. And we had no problem selling the camper with in a week. Used molded campers are in demand. Some owners even full time in their Casitas both the 13 and 17. The narrow doors are probably another negative for big individuals. Do miss our trips but probably just as cheap to stay at hotels, Campgrounds are getting more expensive and the upkeep of the camper probably make it a wash.

I like the idea of a small cargo trailer that can be used for a camper, or for hauling nearly anything out of the weather. A 4x8 would be small, inexpensive, and light weight, but my choice would be a 7x12.

I would give some serious consideration to a self contained Camper. Many parks now have opened camping but have kept bathrooms and other facilities closed (Covid-related restriction). There's no telling how long we may see these sorts of restrictions. It's nice to have an onboard bathroom even if it's rudimentary.

On a side note I recently saw one of these Crickets: https://taxaoutdoors.com/habitats/cricket/
it's another teardrop but more rugged than most. Many smaller campers have undersized axles and wheels imo and failures are fairly common. This one seems beefier :)

Seasoned camper here and I’ll qualify that with a variety of scenarios I’ve personally experienced. Tents, pop up tent trailers, VW camper, motor home, and Trailer. I suggest you you wait and find an RV show in your area so you can look at everything in one place. Use that information to help you make your decision.

Get a Mercedes Sprinter Cargo Van.. they are pretty cheaply priced, get good gas mileage easy to drive... put what ever you need in the back for sleeping/eating and all and take off... when you don't use it for camping you can haul all kinds of stuff in it...

I second the OP getting a T@B or a Little Guy. The T@B you can stand up in they have AC, toilet and will fit in a garage. The Little Guys are just a bed in a box with an outside galley.

Do your research. I bought a SUV 4 years ago and I got a larger engine plus hitch and wiring installed at the factory. I got this specifically to pull a camper, and said this specifically when I was buying it.

Like you, I wanted something hat I could park and have a comfortable bed all ready for me to lie down. I had considered an a-liner but I did not want a teardrop because I wanted to be able to get dressed without kneeling.

Then last year when I started looking at trailers, I found out that the wiring on my SUV did not include the wires necessary for any brake/brake lights for a camper - and it would be illegal for me to tow a camper in this state without it.

So before you look to closely at a camper, make sure your vehicle can tow it legally.

Then last year when I started looking at trailers, I found out that the wiring on my SUV did not include the wires necessary for any brake/brake lights for a camper - and it would be illegal for me to tow a camper in this state without it.

So before you look to closely at a camper, make sure your vehicle can tow it legally.
You may find that it just requires a wiring harness that clicks into place - that is how my Highlander came. Of course, the harness was way cheaper from eTrailer than from Toyota. For brakes, you can buy wireless controllers not that do require hooking to the vehicle wiring.

You may find that it just requires a wiring harness that clicks into place - that is how my Highlander came. Of course, the harness was way cheaper from eTrailer than from Toyota. For brakes, you can buy wireless controllers not that do require hooking to the vehicle wiring.

I checked with 2 travel trailer dealerships plus one location that just sold parts for campers. All said the same thing - not possible with the SUV, even with the larger engine because of the 5 pin connection. It also has a class I/II hitch.

>Colorado Trailer Brake Laws - Every trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle. Brakes shall also be designed and connected that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall automatically apply.

I checked with 2 travel trailer dealerships plus one location that just sold parts for campers. All said the same thing - not possible with the SUV, even with the larger engine because of the 5 pin connection. It also has a class I/II hitch.

>Colorado Trailer Brake Laws - Every trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle. Brakes shall also be designed and connected that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall automatically apply.
I'd suggest going to a vehicle forum that is specific to your vehicle and ask how it is done. Worst case, pay a few bucks to have it wired at a place like UHaul or a trailer hitch and muffler shop.

If you don't know what you want or don't have any prior experience it's a good idea to rent a RV so that you get hands on experience with it. Is the popup camper setup working for you? Or do you feel comfortable driving a large motorhome? Can you sleep well? Cook? Bathroom?

Re charging a Tesla with a trailer - most newer superchargers in Europe now include a few drive trough charges designed for trailers. I would think it's the same in the US?

A pop-up (A-liner or other) works better for fitting in a garage. I'm not quite six foot but never had any issues standing up/walking around in our pop-up from several years ago. We lived in this for seven months. Visited 23 states, 8,000-some-odd miles.

40925808683_056fd5bafd_c.jpg

46976090735_e8e8416160_c.jpg

$4,000 for a 5ish year old 10' pop-up behind my miniV. In the mountains it's only fair due to no brakes installed and I have to spend $200 to redo the front brakes. We did 11,000mi over 11 weeks last summer. Changed tires twice on that trip (original tires and then once more on the fresh set). I'd consider the 8' box for just two of you (we're 3 which would still be fine) as they're more available to deal on since most like the larger frames. The 10' will sell easier. WI to CA, WA and back. I can still see a sliver behind me through the mirror and mileage isn't bad at all.

Teardrops appealed after seeing someone pull in late and leave early only getting out to cook after setting up their EZ up over the cooking lid. Some are cheap, but after talking about a camp host's $7,000 refrigerator replacement ( take off windshield to do), he mentioned spending 3x that amount on his TD!!! TDs are taller and you won't see behind you.

One other camper I found was borrowing one and didn't think it enough for him, but I think he may have had deep pockets. Maybe better for a single:confused:

A liners look interesting, too.

I found a Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 on Craigslist for $200 after wanting one because it was a strong 3 pole design compared with my one lighter and one complicated/strong tents. I'd buy it at retail of $400 hands down. Easy and strong! I've debated getting something like a motorcycle trailer which would pull super easy with a few things in it like 20lb gas and stove, etc. I still use a thermarest under man popup mattress so it's fine on the ground, too. Spent the month of May in our backyard since Scouting is shut down due to C19.

Former Campground Owner's Opinion

I used to own a campground (actually RV park) and it's always about tradeoffs. I think a popup (tent trailer) is a lot more versatile and give a lot more room but it's not fun in the rain. I like teardrops as well, but you're very cramped with them. The nice thing is the price point. I'd also consider a Casita as it does have a little more room. They're all easy to tow.
A crazy option is the motorcycle tents. They're the small trailers you see motorcycles tow. They fold out in all sorts of directions and make a tent for two!

Back
Top Bottom