The 2nd longest place name - an actual village in Wales

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• IMG_6764-1500x1000.jpg
    IMG_6764-1500x1000.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And the longest (85 characters) in New Zealand...

Attachments

• long.jpg
    long.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 7
I can't imagine how long it takes parents to teach their kids to give the full 58 character answer to 'where are you from?'
AFAIK, this name was made up as a gimmick to attract tourists. The locals just call it "Llanfair" (pronounced "clan-fire", approximately, although don't tell my Welsh wife that I said that was remotely accurate).

Been there. Nice little place on Anglesey. The Welsh generally call it Llanfair PG, for obvious reasons.. :eek:)

I was there also - on my way to the ferry to Ireland.

DW and I stopped and snapped a pic here in 2010, on an 18 day tour through England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

AFAIK, this name was made up as a gimmick to attract tourists. The locals just call it "Llanfair" (pronounced "clan-fire", approximately, although don't tell my Welsh wife that I said that was remotely accurate).
Actually the original name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. The long form of the name was invented for promotional purposes in the 1860s, so "gimmick" might be a little harsh after 150 some years. And in the spirit of picking nits, "Llanfair" isn't the original or official name either.

Last edited:
I have always found Hawaiian words and names difficult to memorize, though they are so easy to pronounced. Too many vowels and syllables!

I remember muumuu and pupu, and that is about it.

Last edited:
I believe the smallest state in the USA has the longest official name: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Not to mention a very cool seal:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 47
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaug is one of the longest words in the English language and certainly one of the longest place name in the world. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is a 1,442-acre lake with a 17-mile shoreline in Webster, Mass.

Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaug

That was a First Class Scout requirement in our troop... first to pronounce, and second to know that it meant
"You fish on your side, I fish on my side and nobody fish in the middle."

We took the troop there to canoe, one time., just to say we'd been there. Circa 1951.

Back
Top Bottom