The Family Newsletter

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A few years ago we received the last of more than sixty (60) year-end newsletters crafted by her father. That's a publication span longer than many professional rags.

At the end the "subscription list" was 400. The cost for printing a 4-page 11x17 folded spread and mailing was at least a buck by my reckoning. The effort for next year started with the mailing of the previous year's gift. Photos were sent throughout the year by extended family and friends. And the reward was a mention that many cherished.

Everything within the pages had the touch of an artist. The borders and framing, as well as the masthead, were unique. He despised repetition, and this year's look was always a departure from the past.

The publisher transitioned from pasting everything on a camera-ready board to the miracle of desktop publishing (DTP). When I first showed him professional software, he had to have it for himself, and invested as necessary to keep the computerization up to date.

Just as he had done by hand, headings were tailored with unusual font faces to bring to life a design he saw before putting one stroke on the page. And it was just not about the flourishes...

The text was written wih much care, in order to make sure everyone got a mention. When he forgot a cousin's niece's marriage, he heard about it. So he knuckled down, and made ssure to include an apology in the following year.

This was just one of many accomplishments by a self-made man. Rather than accept the negativity of the world around him and complain to others, he always set off on yet another project to make everything better.

....The text was written wih much care, in order to make sure everyone got a mention. When he forgot a cousin's niece's marriage, he heard about it. So he knuckled down, and made ssure to include an apology in the following year....

I guess it isn't in the blood. :D

Just kidding... I couldn't help it.

It sounds like a wonderful tradition.

I love this idea. What a wonderful tradition and a labor of love.

I wonder if the younger generations would like it as much these days. Would they read it or toss it aside? (Thinking out loud as I contemplate doing this myself and wondering how it would be received).

I appreciate you sharing this, target2019. It would be kind of a written scrapbook in it's own way. Very cool.

I love this idea. What a wonderful tradition and a labor of love.

I wonder if the younger generations would like it as much these days. Would they read it or toss it aside? (Thinking out loud as I contemplate doing this myself and wondering how it would be received).

I appreciate you sharing this, target2019. It would be kind of a written scrapbook in it's own way. Very cool.
Thank you for responding!

It takes work to write, that's for sure. I think the continual editing and working of this project throughout the year can be rewarding to the writer. So it is labor and love that keeps one going, I agree.

If a newsletter appears as just a type-written letter, it probably is less likely to be kept or commented on. (He also included a smaller self-addressed card requesting any family details he might need for the next year's edition, or the family tree (an elaborate hand lettered, illustrated poster)).

I know some of the younger generations were very proud of him, and kept their copies. Maybe there is a way to appeal more to younger generations with a printed piece? I've just re-phrased your question, but not answered it, haven't I?

He used multi-column grid design, like a newspaper, so the paragraphs were shorter, and sometimes accompanied by a black & white photo thumbnail. It could be that keeping things brief would appeal to younger ones, and previous generations as well.

He had no formal training in advertising, just the school of hard knocks. He knew what layouts worked, and used the concepts in the following link.
Grid – Thinking With Type

Back
Top Bottom