The Older Men Get, The More They Have To Remember...

It is what my mother called a purse (she never took to the word "purse" for some reason), and she was from Ireland. But it may also be a word that has mostly died out in recent decades.

nope, that must be an american term - never once heard pocketbook before I came here. The Queen very definitely carries a handbag.

If they call you a sissy, just hit 'em with your purse :facepalm:

I will admit that I carried a small briefcase (soft leather, not hinged) for working days. It was as close as I will ever come to a purse :cool:
I carried a soft side bag for years. To be fair I was traveling a lot, sometimes unexpectedly and had my meds, passport and other necessities I learned from experience. Running out of BP meds overseas wasn't an experience I wanted to repeat.

Still, I have never been able to persuade a man to carry a purse or "man bag", despite the obvious utility and advantages of doing so.

DW has been [-]nagging[/-] suggesting I carry a man bag for a very long time, mainly because I've dropped my cell phone on more than one occasion, while holding a few other items. I often drive to a nearby park to do my running, so I have caved and use the man bag she got me to carry miscellaneous items (phone, Ipod, running gloves,wallet etc. ) to the car, but that's the only time I use it.

DW has been [-]nagging[/-] suggesting I carry a man bag for a very long time, mainly because I've dropped my cell phone on more than one occasion, while holding a few other items.

Yet they (the fashion police) frown upon cargo shorts. I love my cargo shorts. They may be a man bag with a belt, but I like having a pocket for each item so no one pocket seems stuffed. And, no way I’m carrying a bag of any sort. I’m not too proud or manly, just don’t want to have to hold on to something. I probably am to manly to wear it with a shoulder strap :D

My poor dad spent 43 years in the same house and 55 years in the same neighborhood. He moved when he started having chronic health problems so he could have family help. We made sure he had a cell phone and knew how to use it. One evening he called me when he was lost. Fortunately I knew the intersection by the description of the businesses nearby, and drove out to him, where I helped him get home.

That was scary.

Buddy of mine made this observation. When you leave the house you have to remember:

30’s - Keys, wallet

40’s - Keys, wallet, glasses, cell phone/pager

50’s - Keys, wallet, glasses, smartphone

60’s - Keys, wallet, glasses, smartphone, zipper (up)

70’s - ?

What you left the house for......

(watch, wallet, spectacles, t*sticles)

My poor dad spent 43 years in the same house and 55 years in the same neighborhood. He moved when he started having chronic health problems so he could have family help. We made sure he had a cell phone and knew how to use it. One evening he called me when he was lost. Fortunately I knew the intersection by the description of the businesses nearby, and drove out to him, where I helped him get home.

That was scary.

My wife has a friend that had a stroke but came out pretty well, except that there have been a few occasions when she went out to a shopping or some other errand but did not no how to get home. She did know enough to call someone for help and they were able to figure out where she was and could
guide her drive back home.

70's -- Their wives? ;)
When I arrived at JFK as 17 YO immigrant, my brother, his wife, my uncle and his wife were there to welcome me to the new world. From there we proceeded to the Bronx house of my uncle, who come to US in the 1940ies, was in his late sixties.
After parking, uncle realized his wife was missing. He left her at the airport. Back he drove to retrieve a furious wife.

nope, that must be an american term - never once heard pocketbook before I came here. The Queen very definitely carries a handbag.

but yes, not a purse. That's what we here know as a wallet (which, why would she need that anyway, for ID and money? lol)

It is a signaling device to her assistants when she is bored with present company.

No need for a man purse - have Gal:

Man%20lets%20his%20wife%20carry%20the%20heavy%20load.jpeg

I hardly ever carry a purse any more, and I'm 64. I have my phone, credit cards, and keys in a little passport holder around my neck.

I am 61 and haven’t carried a purse for years. I have a small Vera Bradley wallet that holds cash, credit cards, cell phone (it helps that I still use a flip phone) and I even squeeze in there chapstick and a small comb. I clip my keys onto it. It feels freeing to me to carry so little.

We've probably all developed this 6th sense that tells us we are missing something. First we pat all of our pockets, and subconsciously we know we need 3 items (phone, keys, wallet), but if we are taking something else along, say a backpack with our Pickleball gear, then the subconscious gets a little confused....it knows we are missing something, but hey, we have three items...phone, keys, backpack...we are good. Right up to the moment we try to pay for the grocery items we decided to pick up on the way home. (Feel free to ask me how I know).

Best HS buddy always crossed himself before getting into his car. "Glasses, cigarettes, lighter." I lost him a couple of years ago to his habit related issues - rituals, really. $#&* cigarettes! YMMV

Everything but the kitchen sink! Or so says Frank, based on the weight of my purse. :2funny: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
It really IS heavy but it has everything I need (plus everything I needed at any time in the past 20 years or so, but don't actually need any more). It's like astronomy's black hole - - things go in, but never are removed.

:)

One of DW's phrases that strikes terror in my heart: "Oh, that is in my purse. Just go and look, you'll find it." :eek:

70's -- Their wives? ;)

We have a friend (70's) who left his Wife in the Gas Station bathroom assuming she have returned to the RV. Now a legendary story among our circle of friends - gets more embellished at each telling.

Heh heh heh - ;)

DF was ADD and never medicated for it. As a kid I never really knew he had issues; that's what his normal was. He adapted the only way he knew, removing things he could lose. His only things he needed was his keys and glasses, their location was frequently discussed in hurried tones. I remember asking him one day why he didn't carry a wallet, he was probably trying to find his keys at the time. It was one of the few times I ever remembered him showing frustration with his disorder.

As he aged he golfed but spent more time hawking balls in the woods. When he got back one day he couldn't find his prescription sunglasses. He didn't want DM to be upset so he didn't mention them knowing they would turn up. She eventually figured it out and he replaced them. About a year later he was hawking balls and looked at a tree finding his sunglasses exactly where he set them down.

His list of things never grew.

I have a medium size purse in which I carry the usual things but also some first add supplies--bandaids, gauze, disinfectant wipes, antibiotic ointment, etc. I have used those first aid supplies many times, often for strangers. Several times I have been around child who has fallen and has a bloody lip or knee and I am able to help the child's parents patch them up.

It is what my mother called a purse (she never took to the word "purse" for some reason), and she was from Ireland. But it may also be a word that has mostly died out in recent decades.

I like the French name for handbag - le sac.

Well, ok, it’s really le sac a main.

Last edited:
Yet they (the fashion police) frown upon cargo shorts. I love my cargo shorts. They may be a man bag with a belt, but I like having a pocket for each item so no one pocket seems stuffed. And, no way I’m carrying a bag of any sort. I’m not too proud or manly, just don’t want to have to hold on to something. I probably am to manly to wear it with a shoulder strap :D

The fashion police have been trying to kill the cargo pants thing for many years; but they are so practical. But common sense outlives fashion, so they live on despite idiotic attempts to change our basic needs.

Back
Top Bottom