The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

Fotodog--gorgeous pictures

I have a question for you; what is a good alternative to Photoshop that can be used on an iPad? I sold my high end computers and color calibrated displays, and no longer need the accuracy provided by working with ICC profiles. I do still have a MacBook Pro laptop, but spend most of my time on the iPad. I’m looking for something without the monthly subscription that PS requires. It would be nice to have the ability to work with layers and masks, maybe not essential. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Tim

Not sure about the ipad angle, as I can't imagine doing photo editing on a tablet. But, for cheap/free-no sub stuff:

PS Elements - you can often pick this up on sale for $60, no subscription. Allows for some layers work but a lot more friendly than full PS

GIMP - free ware, kinda complex for the average user to start, but if you mastered PS you should have no issues

Great photo, and now you have motivated us to visit this end of Starved Rock, next time we are there, as we've only been to the "main" entrance section. :flowers:

Thanks - hopefully you go there in the fall or winter. Most of the trail to the council overhang is very muddy and partially submerged in spring and after summer rains

Hello All,
I have enjoyed this thread for a while, and thought I would introduce myself. I retired this year after working as a professional photographer for over 40 years. I earned my income shooting advertising work including product still life, food, models, interiors. Initially I worked with 4x5 film for product work and 2 1/4 film for people. Once digital quality was good enough I transitioned to working with Phase One medium format digital backs, which were mounted on my view camera for product work in my studio or a Phase One camera for people.

My personal work consisted mostly of landscapes, which provided a small amount of income but were mostly a labor of love. I’m enclosing a few of my landscapes. My earlier images were mostly 4x5 transparencies that were drum scanned at 300MB, later images were shot with my Phase One camera. If you’re interested, there’s much more work on my website: Home

Those of you who mentioned lighting are absolutely correct. It has been stated that a studio photographer’s success is directly related to his/her ability to light. For outdoor work, the ability to see light and understand how that translates into an image. The other factor that makes a great photographer is the ability to design and compose an image.

I have a question for you; what is a good alternative to Photoshop that can be used on an iPad? I sold my high end computers and color calibrated displays, and no longer need the accuracy provided by working with ICC profiles. I do still have a MacBook Pro laptop, but spend most of my time on the iPad. I’m looking for something without the monthly subscription that PS requires. It would be nice to have the ability to work with layers and masks, maybe not essential. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Tim

Very Interesting and Very Well done!!! Nice!

Hello All,
I have enjoyed this thread for a while, and thought I would introduce myself. I retired this year after working as a professional photographer for over 40 years. I earned my income shooting advertising work including product still life, food, models, interiors. Initially I worked with 4x5 film for product work and 2 1/4 film for people. Once digital quality was good enough I transitioned to working with Phase One medium format digital backs, which were mounted on my view camera for product work in my studio or a Phase One camera for people.

My personal work consisted mostly of landscapes, which provided a small amount of income but were mostly a labor of love. I’m enclosing a few of my landscapes. My earlier images were mostly 4x5 transparencies that were drum scanned at 300MB, later images were shot with my Phase One camera. If you’re interested, there’s much more work on my website: Home

Those of you who mentioned lighting are absolutely correct. It has been stated that a studio photographer’s success is directly related to his/her ability to light. For outdoor work, the ability to see light and understand how that translates into an image. The other factor that makes a great photographer is the ability to design and compose an image.

Thanks,
Tim

Very nice!

I switched to ON1 a few years ago due to Adobe switching to a subscription model. Not sure if it works fully on an ipad but you can download a test version.

Hello All,

Thanks,
Tim

Nice work.

Thanks everyone. I always considered myself very fortunate to be able to earn my living with a camera.

Thanks everyone. I always considered myself very fortunate to be able to earn my living with a camera.

I can see where photography is truly a satisfying profession. At least for me - the thrill of the hunt for an interesting subject or composition is like being on an exploration. Something interesting almost always takes place when I go out with my camera.

One of the famous photos taken by Alfred Eisentaedt was of Nazi industrialist Gustave Krupp. The story I read was that Krupp allowed Eisentaedt to take his photo in spite of his being Jewish, because even then Eisentaedt's photography was famous.

I am reminded of another story about Eisentaedt and the Nazis. Apparently, Eisenstaedt stumbled upon Goebblels and a small group of military officers talking in a park. He raised his camera and took a photo hoping nobody would notice. Goebbels looked up and stared at him for a few seconds, then went back to talking. Eisenstaedt quickly left the scene wondering if he had made a serious mistake.

A few days later there is a knock on his door. He opens the door to find a military officer at his door. The officer asks if he was the person who photographed Heir Goebbels earlier in the week. Yes, he was. The officer then politely asked Eisenstaedt if he would make him a personal print of the photo to keep as a memento. He got the print. End of story.

Nice work, Fotodog. I've admired those people who can so very carefully balance color, light and composition to get a great photo.

As an amateur, my one concession to to the precision of things like ICC profiles and such is to calibrate my computer screen once a year. If I remember. :D Interestingly, I have found the print engine of my Epson printer does a great job on its own. How it knows what to do to duplicate what is on the monitor is beyond me.

Like hot women asking you to take their photo with their smartphones. Make no mistake, it happens a lot.

Yes it does happen a lot. If I’m toting my big camera, they always ask me to take their photo with their phone because they figure that I take good pics.

Yes it does happen a lot. If I’m toting my big camera, they always ask me to take their photo with their phone because they figure that I take good pics.

What I tell my still single friends is that photography/videography is one of the best ways to meet women. They should ditch their dating apps and take up photography.

True! And they are amazed when you turn the phone sideways for a landscape shot.

- Rita

Hello All,

Thanks,
Tim

I don't edit on the iPad through I do have Adobe Lightroom on there, being a CC subscriber.

I just got an iPad Air last year which has USB-C, so I haven't investigated whether storage and IO is fast enough for editing.

I had tried the old iPad camera connection kit to import photos from an SD card once and it was a very slow process. This was on an older iPad too.

Only reason I did it is that I flew overseas and realized I didn't bring my laptop so the only thing I could do is offload photos to an iPad or buy some more SD cards.

I haven't tried since but I know that they've had demos at keynotes with apps like Pixelmator and Affinity Photo.

Do you lug a medium format to shoot those landscapes? Along with a big tripod?

Are you waiting hours for the light or use apps like PhotoPills to plan the shots?

10 years ago DVNP…

Then rushed home before Superstorm Sandy hit…

Attachments

• D263F97E-7C69-49D5-99D4-D339B3B03556.jpg
    D263F97E-7C69-49D5-99D4-D339B3B03556.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 21
  • F97A5F42-3095-4C1C-BAB3-619B8E9EDB5F.jpg
    F97A5F42-3095-4C1C-BAB3-619B8E9EDB5F.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 24
Do you lug a medium format to shoot those landscapes? Along with a big tripod?

Are you waiting hours for the light or use apps like PhotoPills to plan the shots?

I’ll probably end up doing my retouching on my laptop, the more I think about it. Just thought I would ask. I’m just not shooting as much anymore and was thinking it might be doable, but probably not.

Yes, I lugged around my medium format camera with lenses and accessories in a camera backpack, along with a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. But that was only after I went digital. Before that, it was a beautiful wood 4x5 view camera and lenses, along with film holders, light meter, etc. Now that was a commitment!

Up until a couple of months ago, my wife and I took most of our vacations in our motorhome. We would visit beautiful places like Death Valley National Park, and I would plan our day around shooting sunrise and sunset. I always had my camera with me, but seldom got the images I liked in the middle of the day. I would often be scouting locations when we were out during the day, determine what the light direction would be early and late using a compass, and return at the appropriate time to shoot.

The color sand dune image was a good example. I found this dune in the afternoon when the sky was overcast, but could see the potential for a nice shot. I set my alarm and hiked out the next morning in the dark with a flashlight, found my dune, set up my tripod and 4x5 camera, and waited. I started shooting a few minutes before the sun rose, but the money shot was right when the sun peaked over the mountains. The light was amazing, almost a spiritual experience. This just happened to be on my birthday, and I considered it the best birthday gift possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, Fotodog. I've admired those people who can so very carefully balance color, light and composition to get a great photo.

As an amateur, my one concession to to the precision of things like ICC profiles and such is to calibrate my computer screen once a year. If I remember. :D Interestingly, I have found the print engine of my Epson printer does a great job on its own. How it knows what to do to duplicate what is on the monitor is beyond me.

That’s great that you calibrate your monitor. It definitely helps with accuracy so that images print similar to what you see on your screen. Most computer monitors out of the box are too bright, too contrasty, and too blue.

I’ll probably end up doing my retouching on my laptop, the more I think about it. Just thought I would ask. I’m just not shooting as much anymore and was thinking it might be doable, but probably not.

Yes, I lugged around my medium format camera with lenses and accessories in a camera backpack, along with a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. But that was only after I went digital. Before that, it was a beautiful wood 4x5 view camera and lenses, along with film holders, light meter, etc. Now that was a commitment!

Up until a couple of months ago, my wife and I took most of our vacations in our motorhome. We would visit beautiful places like Death Valley National Park, and I would plan our day around shooting sunrise and sunset. I always had my camera with me, but seldom got the images I liked in the middle of the day. I would often be scouting locations when we were out during the day, determine what the light direction would be early and late using a compass, and return at the appropriate time to shoot.

The color sand dune image was a good example. I found this dune in the afternoon when the sky was overcast, but could see the potential for a nice shot. I set my alarm and hiked out the next morning in the dark with a flashlight, found my dune, set up my tripod and 4x5 camera, and waited. I started shooting a few minutes before the sun rose, but the money shot was right when the sun peaked over the mountains. The light was amazing, almost a spiritual experience. This just happened to be on my birthday, and I considered it the best birthday gift possible.

That's cool. I admire the people who drive like 75 miles away from metropolitan areas to shoot astro in pitch black darkness in the middle of nowhere.

The only astro I've ever shot was when I was staying at Lake Tekapo in New Zealand. I happene to reserve a night or two there to cut down on driving distances and figured it's a nice looking lake there.

I didn't know it was a dark sky reserve at first. They have an observatory and some tours at night to see the skies.

They don't have street lamps high above the streets. Instead they have like lanterns at ground level and I guess the town mostly shuts off the lights.

So I gave it a shot, never having done it before, just set up my tripod on a patio right outside the apartment I was staying in, got some good shots.

I didn't have to drive in the darkness so that was probably the only way I was going to do it.

That's cool. I admire the people who drive like 75 miles away from metropolitan areas to shoot astro in pitch black darkness in the middle of nowhere.

The only astro I've ever shot was when I was staying at Lake Tekapo in New Zealand. I happene to reserve a night or two there to cut down on driving distances and figured it's a nice looking lake there.

I didn't know it was a dark sky reserve at first. They have an observatory and some tours at night to see the skies.

They don't have street lamps high above the streets. Instead they have like lanterns at ground level and I guess the town mostly shuts off the lights.

So I gave it a shot, never having done it before, just set up my tripod on a patio right outside the apartment I was staying in, got some good shots.

I didn't have to drive in the darkness so that was probably the only way I was going to do it.

I have such mixed feelings about this. I'm an old astronomy geek and I mourn dark skies.

But now that I'm older, I celebrate good street lighting.

Such a conflict in my head and heart.

I think the new LED street lights are better at down-directing, yet they are so bright, there's significant upward scatter back to the sky from the ground targets.

Back
Top Bottom