The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

That's cool. I admire the people who drive like 75 miles away from metropolitan areas to shoot astro in pitch black darkness in the middle of nowhere.

The only astro I've ever shot was when I was staying at Lake Tekapo in New Zealand. I happene to reserve a night or two there to cut down on driving distances and figured it's a nice looking lake there.

I didn't know it was a dark sky reserve at first. They have an observatory and some tours at night to see the skies.

They don't have street lamps high above the streets. Instead they have like lanterns at ground level and I guess the town mostly shuts off the lights.

So I gave it a shot, never having done it before, just set up my tripod on a patio right outside the apartment I was staying in, got some good shots.

I didn't have to drive in the darkness so that was probably the only way I was going to do it.

I need to learn more about astrophotography. The night sky was notably stunning when we were on vacation in the middle of the Pacific ocean off of the Society Islands, and then at a resort on an inactive volcano in Tanzania. I tried one shot, and it's just a blur. Heck, I'd love to just be able to capture a long exposure of the fireflies in our backyard during their peak, it's so beautiful and irenic.

I guess I have at least one hobby lined up for retirement! :cool:

My brother was in the Navy. He still talks about the view of the sky in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As you’d expect, probably one of the cleanest skys (no lights) and with no moon, one of the darkest. I wish I could have experienced that one time.

The most amazing stars I have seen have been in Death Valley on a crisp, clear winter night. It’s amazing what you see that is normally hidden by cloud cover.

I don’t want to hijack this thread from all the people posting nice photos, but there’s one photography related story that you might find amusing. My wife and I enjoy the Carmel/Big Sur area, including Point Lobos State Reserve. My first time there, I was disappointed to find out they didn’t open until 8:00am.

I was waiting at the gate in my car when the park opened and was greeted by a nice, grizzled older park ranger at the booth. While he was processing my payment, I commented that I was a landscape photographer and wished they opened sooner so I could photograph the early morning light. He gave me a glance with a twinkle in his eye and a slight smile…

“Young man, he said (I was 42 at the time). One of my friends used to come here often to photograph our park. He always abided by the rules and visited during park hours. His name was Ansel Adams. I think he took some very nice photos, what do you think?”

We shared a good laugh. What could I possibly say to that?

Ansel Adams was someone I admired long before I turned professional. Some people see his work now and don’t think it’s anything special since we are inundated with high quality imagery, but he was a trailblazer. He had a great sense of design, would do almost anything to get the shot he wanted, and of course his technical skills are legendary.

In the school I attended, Brooks Institute, we had assignments based on his concepts of exposure and development. In particular, we photographed the Santa Barbara courthouse which has a huge archway and white stucco exterior. The idea was to see what combination of film exposure and development would provide the best shadow and highlight detail with a straight print with no dodging or burning. The final class presentation was nine 4x5 prints in a grid mounted on a 16x20 board, representing negatives that were normal exposure, 1 stop under, 1 stop over, and each of these with normal development, 1 stop under developed, 1 stop over developed. Brooks was all about presentation, so these had to be perfectly mounted, otherwise it was rejected.

While very few of us work with B&W negatives now, these concepts translate directly to digital. I learned early on to expose for the highlights and “develop” in Photoshop for shadow detail. If the highlights are gone in the initial exposure, they can’t be recovered. When working with a new client in my studio, where I always shot tethered to my computer for instant feedback, I always had to explain that the images might look a bit too dark, but the final image would be perfect.

Ansel Adams would have loved digital. In one of his last books, when the very first rudimentary digital cameras were being developed, he wrote that he hoped to live long enough to experience this new technology. It fit perfectly with his technical side.

I thought the story was that AA would wait hours for Half Dome to look just right.

I don't know if he had constraints on media costs back then. I guess if he had to hike, he could only carry so many things.

I thought the story was that AA would wait hours for Half Dome to look just right.

I don't know if he had constraints on media costs back then. I guess if he had to hike, he could only carry so many things.

He didn't have to hike far for this shot at Tunnel View in Yosemite.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 4.59.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 4.59.31 PM.png
    316 KB · Views: 26
I love that image of Ansel, it’s the iconic image of him at work. He used that same car with the camera platform to shoot “Moonrise over Hernandez”. He saw the scene unfold as he was driving, pulled over and quickly set up his camera, as the light was fading fast. He shot one exposure, and was flipping around his 8x10 film holder to shoot a second exposure, but in that short time the light had faded.

Attachments

• 87AA64AC-54FA-436A-82CD-C1F42AD37F60.jpeg
    87AA64AC-54FA-436A-82CD-C1F42AD37F60.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 32
^Great story and great shot. I spent some time shooting the same scenes as Ansel did. Although I shot digital, I tried to process a look that mimicked Ansel's. Mine were not as good as Ansel's of course. But it was fun. I got his books and went to the places where he took his photos. I need to do this again.

Hiked Starved Rock State Park. This is the council overhang where Native Americans held their tribal councils.
attachment.php

We were just there last week, here's my shot from that time (a few more leaves have fallen in a week!). Have also been there around New Years, to catch the frozen falls.

-ERD50

Attachments

• Starved_Rock_.jpg
    Starved_Rock_.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 28
A couple days ago I spent the day at the ranch trying to get some pictures of rutting bucks. There are some great bucks there but very hard to get a picture of them because they are on the move. By the time I get them found focused and phone attached they are out of sight. Lol

Any way I did get this one that was down low and knew I was there and gave me time to finally get a picture. This is about 3/4 of a mile away with tripod spotting scope and phone camera zoomed in 100%. A light snowy day fog day.
I wanted to stay setup to capture other bucks but was battling trying to get one to stop long enough to get a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi photographers,
I post a lot of pictures, mainly of electronic projects or maybe an Ebay sale.
I use my camera phone and that's best I will get. I need a background, and shadowless lighting. I find I often create a shadow with the camera, especially with closeups.

Can I get any tips?

A few examples of my pictures are shown below, for critiquing.
Thanks

Attachments

• 4 Core coil.jpg
    4 Core coil.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 260A coil and support.jpg
    260A coil and support.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Crystal group.jpg
    Crystal group.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2nd Assemply.jpg
    2nd Assemply.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This is about 3/4 of a mile away with tripod spotting scope and phone camera zoomed in 100%. A light snowy day fog day.
I wanted to stay setup to capture other bucks but was battling trying to get one to stop long enough to get a picture.

Nice capture. Did you just try to align the phone camera to the eye piece of the scope? Or is there a easier way? I tried once through one side of my binoculars, it didn't work. Thanks.

My brother was in the Navy. He still talks about the view of the sky in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As you’d expect, probably one of the cleanest skys (no lights) and with no moon, one of the darkest. I wish I could have experienced that one time.

plus one there, i was in Atlantic and views of stars/planets etc was great.

Hi photographers,
I post a lot of pictures, mainly of electronic projects or maybe an Ebay sale.
I use my camera phone and that's best I will get. I need a background, and shadowless lighting. I find I often create a shadow with the camera, especially with closeups.

Can I get any tips?

Yes, invest in a light tent or three. Lots of people selling stuff on etsy, ebay, etc. use these to get that "soft light" look where the item is lighted from all angles. You can buy them from $10 on up depending on size, or make one from old (white!) bed sheets or a couple of $10 shower curtains from Walmart or a dollar store. The idea is to diffuse the light and eliminate any shadows. Search on "how to make a light tent" or similar language and you'll get hundreds or thousands of hits.

Here's the result of a brief search on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=light+te...ight+tent,aps,1623&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_10

Nice capture. Did you just try to align the phone camera to the eye piece of the scope? Or is there a easier way? I tried once through one side of my binoculars, it didn't work. Thanks.

Here is an attachment you can get for binoculars or spotting scope. It just pushes on the scope and your camera fits in the plastic hold that aligns. I hope that helped you out and has really been fun for me to use. I hope the picture can tell the story of how it works. One side camera, flip it, the other side push on the scope etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 25
I have a similar adapter and it works well. Can be a bit tricky to get it aligned exactly with your scope and your phone (they are all a little different), but once you have it adjusted to your liking it's a very handy gadget.

Nice shot on that buck Street! The deer around here look like small dogs compared to those in your neck of the woods.

Hi photographers,
I post a lot of pictures, mainly of electronic projects

A few examples of my pictures are shown below, for critiquing.
Thanks

<Reincarnated Nikola Tesla has entered the chat.> :LOL:

Here is an attachment you can get for binoculars or spotting scope. It just pushes on the scope and your camera fits in the plastic hold that aligns. I hope that helped you out and has really been fun for me to use. I hope the picture can tell the story of how it works. One side camera, flip it, the other side push on the scope etc.
Thank you very much! No wonder there aren't that many binoculars with a built-in camera out there. Telephoto lenses for DSLRs are just too big to lug around for me.

This place should be in every landscape photographers' bucket list, the Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland. It's also a great place to hike. It's one of the most scenic places on the planet. I used the AI voice to do the voice-overs.

^ Once again very nice! I like the voice over on videos like this that provides info about the place. Makes me want to go there.

Back
Top Bottom