" THE SECRET "

New Video called the secret. I just viewed it and I found it enlightening. have you heard about the

• never heard of it, not interested

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • never heard of it, will look into it

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • heard of it, intrigued

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • saw the video, recommend it

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • saw it and WOW... enlightened!!!!!!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Heard of it, same old message repackaged

Votes: 38 32.2%

• Total voters
Reconstituted positive thinking principles along with unproven pseudo science ramblings.

dex said:
I read Castanada's books when they first came out. I remember one quote: Castanada asked Don Juan (?) why he had to take so many drugs while Don Juan's other student's didn't have to?
Don Juan's answer: "Because you are so stupid."
I enjoyed those books but I could never understand the people who believed them to be non-fiction. About 12 years ago a friend cajoled me into reading the goofy Celestine Prophecy, claiming his life had been transformed. It turned out he was bi-polar and was starting up a manic slope.

Just watch an episode of "My Name is Earl" and it will pretty much sum it up in a much simpler way.

sgeeeee said:
You need to add another option to the poll: Saw it and it was pure drivel. :D

I added it and some puritan decided to delete your option. And it had 3 votes, the last time I looked. - Looks like someone is trying to 'Farm' an answer! :mad:

Cut-Throat said:
I added it and some puritan decided to delete your option. And it had 3 votes, the last time I looked. - Looks like someone is trying to 'Farm' an answer! :mad:
It was up long enough for me to vote for it. I feel confident that the "pure drivel" option would have won with this group, but we'll never know now. :)

dex said:
I read Castanada's books when they first came out. I remember one quote: Castanada asked Don Juan (?) why he had to take so many drugs while Don Juan's other student's didn't have to?
Don Juan's answer: "Because you are so stupid."

castanada was a bit paraniod as much of his theme shows a universe out to get you. i think i read somewhere that though he started off learning how to dream by using drugs, he later didn't need the drugs to produce the trance states.

donheff said:
I enjoyed those books but I could never understand the people who believed them to be non-fiction.

one technique of his i recall utilizing many years ago produced very fun results. i think he called it body doubling but i'm not sure now. in the exercise, you put your physical body to sleep remembering the precise position you had lain your body when you fell asleep. then when your consciousness awakens within the dream, you find a comfortable place, lay your dream body down in the very same position as you had left your physical body and dream your dream body back to sleep.

so in my estimation, while a lot of his work seems fictional, at least some of the experiences he describes about dreaming (whether he actually experienced it or just reported upon it) can be independently exerienced in very similar ways by other lucid dreamers.

Outtahere said:
Oprah's had two shows about it, I hope she's not buying into this.

She is promoting it on her show because she already believes in the spriritual principals. IMHO, she's not very smart or well read, despite her book club. Despite this, I like her a lot. :D

Much of The Secret can be found in Buddhist wisdom, as well as in many other spiritual teachings. They've repackaged and tried to sell it to the masses with that cheesy DVD. Oh well. If it leads people to think about their lives differently, then it's all good.

i agree. if nothing more than people living their lives in a more fruitful and positive manner...whats the harm :)

I read a review of The Secret (can't recall where now) in which the author gave it a thumbs down for some very good reasons...He mentioned that Oprah recently attended the groundbreaking ceremony of a school for underprivleged girls she established in South Africa, and couldn't stop talking about herself and what a proud moment it was for her. The author (who obviously took a dim view of Oprah and this latest fad she's been busy pimping) added that it made him physically sick to contemplate these South African girls being told that their poverty was their own fault.

Yeah, no, think I'm gonna pass... :(

From what I've read/heard, it's not for me.

It's been widely reported on various media platforms that the author suggests to avoid looking at fat people if you want to lose weight. That is her weight loss recommendation.

That recommendation and a quarter will get you a telephone call.

I borrowed this book from the library and read it like a reference book. Someone in an earlier post had mentioned the book "The Power of Positive Thinking". It is very similar. There is some truth to its message but also some dangers. For example, if you visualize yourself cancer free, you will be.

I think there is some truth in what the gist of The Secret is. I haven't watched it, just saw the first Oprah show. However, I think much of it is common sense. It is true that if you spend all your time focussing on your negativity you can never appreciate the good things in your life. However, I did not feel inclined to pay any amount to hear more of the same.

Your thoughts really do determine your life. That is no secret, but it's 'obviousness' does cause many people to dismiss this truth.

Personally, I start each day with a bit of positive motivation. I read somethng uplifiting for a few minutes right when I wake up . Then, I think about my wonderful life, the vibrant health I enjoy, and all the wealth (especially the non-material) I have in my life. This makes me remember how truly blessed I am. I think about that and it fills me with gratitude. Then I decide to have a great day. :) I don't need "the Secret" to teach me that.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/59615/print/

The Secret

March 14, 2007 | Issue 43•11

The Secret—the new self-help book and DVD that purports to channel ancient wisdom and claims that if you ask the universe for something, it will be delivered—has become a nationwide phenomenon. Here are some of the book's tips:

You deserve whatever you want no matter how awful you are

Try not to use any critical-thinking skills or logic when pondering concept of The Secret

Capitalizing on basic human feelings such as greed can bring you vast wealth

Eat a hearty breakfast every day

Please allow universe six to eight millennia to deliver

You can never be too tan

The Secret does not work if you are attempting to learn it from stolen, bootlegged, or borrowed products from Prime Time Productions

lazygood4nothinbum said:
i'm not saying that you shouldn't participate in life and be as positive as is appropriate to a given situation. but when you live life thinking you control all its aspects, all you do is delude yourself and feed your ego. when you live life as an observing participant, instead of being blinded by ego, you give yourself the opportunity to learn from even hardship in life.

LG4NB, this piece of wisdom is priceless. I think this is how I got to FIRE... understanding what I had control over and what I didn't have control over. I could control my spending, I could control my investing, but couldn't necessarily control whether I got a raise or bonus at work.

I saw "The Secret", really wanting to be inspired by it, but I thought it was dangerous drivel. The most annoying thing was that they say if you want to be rich, you should think like someone who is already rich... not worrying about money. Check out this youtube video for some of the ideas about riches they want you to visualize:

"I have more riches than Kind Solomon's Mines"
"Money falls like an avalanche over me"
"I have more than enough money for everything I want"
"I have the best of everything"
"No matter what I want, If I believe and know it is mine, the answer must be 'Your wish is my command'"

and my favorites:

"There is more money being printed for me right now"
"I am receiving unexpected checks in the mail"

Yes positive thinking is useful when you are visualizing success, but these are visualizations of ego-fueled failure. Did anyone see the movie Wall Street, about 80's greed? I could imagine the main character Gordon Gecko watching "The Secret" while snorting cocaine off a prostitute's breasts in the back of his stretch limousine.

Saturday Night Live had a skit about "The Secret" last night...

Anyone see it? It was great! :D

Alex,

Do you have a book/website you read each morning for the 'something uplifting'?

Alex said:
Your thoughts really do determine your life. That is no secret, but it's 'obviousness' does cause many people to dismiss this truth.

Personally, I start each day with a bit of positive motivation. I read somethng uplifiting for a few minutes right when I wake up . Then, I think about my wonderful life, the vibrant health I enjoy, and all the wealth (especially the non-material) I have in my life. This makes me remember how truly blessed I am. I think about that and it fills me with gratitude. Then I decide to have a great day. :) I don't need "the Secret" to teach me that.

Peaceful_Warrior said:
Alex,

http://www.greatday.com/

Choose freedom
Freedom is difficult work. It would be much easier to let yourself be enslaved by the opinions of others, by your desire for comfort and familiarity, or by your quest for empty sensations.

Yet freedom it well worth the effort. For it makes a whole world of wonderful things possible.

True freedom demands that you think for yourself and live with an authentic, meaningful purpose that is uniquely you. Those things require effort, commitment, creativity and persistence.

If freedom is to endure in your life, it must be supported by your own responsibility. For without responsibility, freedom quickly decays into meaningless anarchy.

Freedom can be intimidating, because it constantly asks you to make decisions. Yet that is also what makes freedom so liberating, for it gives you the power to choose.

You have within you the desire, the ability and the strength to live with freedom. Choose freedom, nourish and support it, and that freedom will bring real richness to your world.

-- Ralph Marston

Peaceful_Warrior said:
Alex,

i have an I-POD loaded with positve stuff: brian tracy, Ed Foreman, dennis waitley, earl nightengale, maryanne williamson, luanne oakes, paul pearsall, zig ziglar, et.al....
i also visit a site : http://www.motivation123.com/ so I am armed against the daily newspaper and assorted other negative stuff. ;) :)

Tracker said:
It's been reported widely report on various media platforms that the author suggest to avoid looking at fat people if you want to lose weight. That is her weight loss recommendation.

:LOL: So the solution is that I should go around staring at slender, fit people? I just knew there must be an easy solution to this weight problem. ::)

I haven't seen it, but there are several books that have been published about "positive thinking" and I haven't read those either. I don't think anyone would have to read any books when all you need to do is follow your dreams and desires and and don't have negative thoughts which brings negative energy. I believe whatever you put your mind to doing you can do as long as you don't have any doubts. I'm living proof of that, but won't go into the details. But I have conquered all my dreams so far and have many more to go and it all boils down to "positive thinking".

Same old, same old. I don't buy the "happy thoughs make you healthy and rich" argument, but I do think that they make you feel more in control of your situation, which may make you more likely to take the actions that lead to prosperity (financial or otherwise).

That said, the bit about losing weight by refusing to look at fat people is just idiotic...

Oldbabe said:
:LOL: So the solution is that I should go around staring at slender, fit people? I just knew there must be an easy solution to this weight problem. ::)

hahahaha :LOL: Sooo, if I stare at Angelina Jolie's picture long enough I'll be drop dead gorgeous or better yet, maybe I'll wake up next to Brad Pitt!

Back
Top Bottom