Things NOT to do to a microwave for a week

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Almost new Panasonic Inverter Microwave, out at the curb now. Note to self , don't put a frozen dinner in the microwave, forget to cook it , then leave for a week .

Spent half an hour looking for what smelled like a dead rat , then realized the bad news.��

Off to Target to get another one if they have the same model

Last edited:
Almost new Panasonic Inverter Microwave, out at the curb now. Note to self , don't put a frozen dinner in the microwave, forget to cook it , then leave for a week .

Spent half an hour looking for what smelled like a dead rat , then realized the bad news.��

Off to Target to get another one if they have the same model
For some reason after I read this, I busted out laughing.

Sure hit my funny bone. Couldn't stop.

I literally have tears streaming down my face.

Sorry about that

Carry on

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Too funny. I doubt it will happen to us but thanks for the reminder!

Why couldn't you just throw away the rotted food, sanitize the compartment and continue using the MW? Does the smell stay forever? (If that were so, then one could never use a MW for anything else after cooking fish or that rancid-smelling popcorn in a bag).

Why couldn't you just throw away the rotted food, sanitize the compartment and continue using the MW? Does the smell stay forever? (If that were so, then one could never use a MW for anything else after cooking fish or that rancid-smelling popcorn in a bag).

I knew somebody would post this :)
Some people have no stomach for that kind of cleanup.

At the least, you could burn a bag of popcorn in it, which might be a better smell than rotten food.

Technically feasible to disassemble , clean and sanitize, re assemble , but cost benefit analysis with my time worth $ 50 /hr , vs $140 for a new one. It was crawling with maggots , and certain to be inside the housing too. about a 6 on the scale of gross things I have seen in life.

And that right there is explanation enough. Good thing it wasn’t an over the stove type of microwave.
But he could have microwaved them with almost no effort at all. I’d recommend 2 minutes on HIGH for a crunchy texture!

My question was not rhetorical; I was curious. If taking apart and reassembly were required, I can see why you didn't go for it. While not a squeamish person (I have cleaned and sanitized worse things in my day), I wouldn't know where to begin as far as cleaning inside the housing of a microwave oven!

Back when they were newfangled, though, MW's were costly. I recall someone in the late 70's bragging of spending $600 for one. That was serious change back then.

Technically feasible to disassemble , clean and sanitize, re assemble , but cost benefit analysis with my time worth $ 50 /hr , vs $140 for a new one. It was crawling with maggots , and certain to be inside the housing too. about a 6 on the scale of gross things I have seen in life.

Some funny responses.
We probably use our microwave at least every other day.

Uncooked food for a week is not the same as cooking something. Years ago I arrived at our in laws lake place and the fridge had died(with its contents). There was no cleaning that would make it viable. We hauled it outside and hosed it in and out and it was still retched.

PSA: NO ONE should ever cook fish in a microwave, which includes reheating leftovers in a shared office kitchen. This is a universal rule do not fight me.

Am I the only one wondering how the flies got in to lay eggs (or alternately, what brand of meal was it that had eggs ready to hatch when thawed?! The mesh on the compartment in my microwave is pretty darn small and the door seals well.

Pretty gross, I'd probably put outside and list for free on CL... someone with greater need/greater tolerance for gross could certainly use it.

Am I the only one wondering how the flies got in to lay eggs (or alternately, what brand of meal was it that had eggs ready to hatch when thawed?! The mesh on the compartment in my microwave is pretty darn small and the door seals well.

Pretty gross, I'd probably put outside and list for free on CL... someone with greater need/greater tolerance for gross could certainly use it.

No, you’re not alone. I was wondering how the flies got in there too. I didn’t even want to think about them already being in the food. :sick:

Who laid eggs in the frozen dinner? Maggots are hatched from eggs, how did they get there? Maybe microwaving kills them?

I was too. Was the MW door left open?

Anyway, I doubt the maggots would have left the food source to wander into openings, small openings. If they thought the maggots had got into the inner workings, they could have lured them out with fresh food and water after a clean-up. If none come out, I'd have cleaned it up, disinfected, and fired that bad boy back up!

Last edited:
... . While not a squeamish person ....

I'm squeamish about some things, not so much on others. But maggots might be my Room 101 nightmare (from the book "1984"). :eek:

-ERD50

I'm squeamish about some things, not so much on others. But maggots might be my Room 101 nightmare (from the book "1984"). :eek:

-ERD50
Love the reference to room 101.

My question was not rhetorical; I was curious. If taking apart and reassembly were required, I can see why you didn't go for it. While not a squeamish person (I have cleaned and sanitized worse things in my day), I wouldn't know where to begin as far as cleaning inside the housing of a microwave oven!

Back when they were newfangled, though, MW's were costly. I recall someone in the late 70's bragging of spending $600 for one. That was serious change back then.

When I was a ' Youngster " one of the neighbors got an " Amana Radar Range " Ya the thing was very expensive indeed.

So if it's crawling with Maggots why is it on the curb for someone else to deal with? It needs to be in the trash.

To me, “on the curb” is “in the trash” and the only one who should be dealing with it is the garbage man. Hopefully, for his sake, it’s in one of those heavy duty contractor bags.

If someone else gets hold of it, hopefully they’ll reply here on how the clean up went. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom