Things Older People Do

DH's and my Older People thing is dining out much earlier than we used to.

We never eat out, and we never eat out now at exactly the same time as we never ate out before.

Last edited:
DH's and my Older People thing is dining out much earlier than we used to. We used to make reservations for 8 or 8:30. Five years ago 7:00 became the generally acceptable time. We ate at our favorite special occasion restaurant last week to celebrate our Anniversary and made the res for 6:00. What's next:confused:😕 5:00, 4:30? Lunch instead?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
We rarely eat past 6pm. Sometimes we will eat mid afternoon and effectively combine lunch and dinner; saves calories and monies since we eat out dinner 3x weekly. Plus in retirement we wish to be seated right away.

I would love to have my own bed in my own room but DH says divorce will happen if that happens, barring any physical disabilities that would require. So I go to bed at 11 or 12am. He doesn't come and interrupt my sleep until around 2 am or so.

Guess I just have to get use to it, you would think after 40 years of marriage I would be use to the interruptions of him coming to bed....NOT.

I'm guessing after 40 years you won't get used to it and he won't quit doing it. YMMV but I would have had my own bed a long time ago. BTH lack of sleep can be a physical problem that raises your stress less, cortisol, and suppresses your immune system, if that helps.

We sometimes split a lunch. We each get some fish and chips, still take the fries home for hash browns with bacon and eggs..

While at PT, I witnessed several clients with balance and overall strength issues, mostly mileage related. I vowed to myself that I MUST continue the exercise regimen, not for vanity, but for better mobility now and in the future. :dance:

IMHO, there are only three fountains of youth - a reasonable exercise regime, eating real food, and rock-and-roll from the 60's and 70's. :dance:

So keep up the good work!

That's a shame. It's supposed to work the other way, he should act younger and healthier because he's with her. Either way, doing and saying "oldpeople" things is a choice. Unlike aging, itself.

He used to, but then in 2002 he had a very serious stroke and almost died. He recovered but with some ongoing problems. That was the beginning of her sliding into premature aging, and then alcoholism. Very sad.

That is heartbreaking. He would have only been in his mid-60's.

He used to, but then in 2002 he had a very serious stroke and almost died. He recovered but with some ongoing problems. That was the beginning of her sliding into premature aging, and then alcoholism. Very sad.

Becoming old sometimes seems to be a downhill slope, until you consider the alternative.

A look at the odds for your becoming old:

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/06/01/how-many-people-are-left-from-the-year-you-were-born/2/

At age 82, jeanie and i have passed the midpoint. The slope is steepening.

FWIW, moving to our retirement community here in Illinois in 2004, and snowbirding to our over 55 community in Florida from our retirement in 1989 to 2013 made for the happiest years of our lives.

Yes we're "old"... a bit doddering, and subject to some "age related" frailties, but all in all, life is better than we ever expected, and memories fill in for those activities we can't participate in any longer. The bike rides have gone from 15 miles to a few trips around the block... Travel from 15 to 20K/yr., to about 2K, and tennis has been replaced with playing bridge. Swimming laps gave way to internet blogging, TV and an addiction to planning the world's future.

More than half of our friends are already gone, and that will increase very rapidly from now on. Half of our kids are either retired, or will be in the next few years.

We're happy, and very thankful for our thirty years of retirement and 60 years of marriage. It hasn't always been perfect, but most of the less than perfect times have been erased with the onset of dementia.

Oh, yeah.. and about the beds... ;) ... None of your business!

Last edited:
Great post.

Becoming old sometimes seems to be a downhill slope, until you consider the alternative.

A look at the odds for your becoming old:

https://247wallst.com/special-repor...eople-are-left-from-the-year-you-were-born/2/

At age 82, jeanie and i have passed the midpoint. The slope is steepening.

FWIW, moving to our retirement community here in Illinois in 2004, and snowbirding to our over 55 community in Florida from our retirement in 1989 to 2013 made for the happiest years of our lives.

Yes we're "old"... a bit doddering, and subject to some "age related" frailties, but all in all, life is better than we ever expected, and memories fill in for those activities we can't participate in any longer. The bike rides have gone from 15 miles to a few trips around the block... Travel from 15 to 20K/yr., to about 2K, and tennis has been replaced with playing bridge. Swimming laps gave way to internet blogging, TV and an addiction to planning the world's future.

More than half of our friends are already gone, and that will increase very rapidly from now on. Half of our kids are either retired, or will be in the next few years.

We're happy, and very thankful for our thirty years of retirement and 60 years of marriage. It hasn't always been perfect, but most of the less than perfect times have been erased with the onset of dementia.

Oh, yeah.. and about the beds... ;) ... None of your business!

Good, you still have a long way to go to be like some of us here that are "over 70". I was still playing competitive softball at 59. I quit at 60 to focus on my golf game. I hang out with a few guys over 70 and we are all very active.

Just keep up with the exercise!

I agree. I'm only 56 but have several friends my age who have daily aches and pains, are sore after a round of golf, and can't seem to pick up anything heavier than 10 pounds without throwing out their back.

None of them exercise regularly and they lack muscle mass, yet they refuse to make the connection. Even if you hate working out, isn't 20 minutes a day of lifting better than 24 hours of nagging injuries or a sore back?

I agree. I'm only 56 but have several friends my age who have daily aches and pains, are sore after a round of golf, and can't seem to pick up anything heavier than 10 pounds without throwing out their back.

None of them exercise regularly and they lack muscle mass, yet they refuse to make the connection. Even if you hate working out, isn't 20 minutes a day of lifting better than 24 hours of nagging injuries or a sore back?

I am 56 years old and exercise daily (swim a mile 3 days a week, do 3 miles on an elliptical 4 days a week)
I have been told I should never lift more than 10 lbs and regret it every time that I decide to ignore the doctor's advice. I do daily physical therapy exercises to keep the back pain at bay. Some of us have limitations that lead to aches and pains regardless of exercise.

I'm past my mid-seventies and neither DW nor I would ever contemplate separate beds.

(PS...mid-sixties is not (yet) 'old'....just wait. [emoji23] )
+1. Agree with both of your points.

Some of us have limitations that lead to aches and pains regardless of exercise.

You are unfortunate in that regard...I didn't mean to imply that everyone can exercise pain free or that exercise will eliminate their pains.

The friends I was referring to don't have any physical limitations that cause aches and pains or prevent them from exercising. They simply have weak and undeveloped muscles that are taxed to the limit trying to carry around far too many extra pounds.

:rolleyes:This thread should be titled "You might be old if ..........."

I'll chime in......my favorite lunch out has become a small Wendy's Chili, 1/2 of a Junior Fry and a water, all topped off by 1/2 of a mini Frosty (we split the fry and Frosty). The wife and I can have lunch for around $5. I look around on the way to the booth and about half the place is old people having basically the same lunch. Of course I'm not old, I'm just frugal before my time. :rolleyes:

Sleep in different rooms? I can't even fall asleep unless my wife is with me in bed and that's after...

I have this problem as well, especially bothersome since I usually go to bed before DW.

Maybe we should re-title the thread "Olpipo Things" (after the slang term for white people, "Wypipo")

Back
Top Bottom