This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

We never had this kind of cold weather around here until they started building all these wind farms up in North Texas...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

th

That's it!

Those "wind turbines" are actually huge fans designed to blow arctic air down here and freeze us out. That will depress real estate prices so folks from up north can pick up a winter home on the cheap, then turn off the fans. :facepalm:

We're in the middle of a loud, intense thunderstorm right now! Our high today was 72 but tomorrow it will be in the low 50's. It's pouring rain with lots of lightning and loud thunder and flood warnings right now. Our houses don't flood but it sure is raining hard. :) The rain is so torrential that I can't even see the back fence in my back yard, which is maybe 30 feet away at most.

Looks like we're stuck in the house for a few hours if not all day. Boo.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 53
Next weeks forecast here in central and east Texas shows it getting down into the the single digits and snow again... This will be our second snow this year (very uncommon) and I don't recall it getting into the single digits since I've lived in this area for the past~15 yrs...

We never had this kind of cold weather around here until they started building all these wind farms up in North Texas...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

th

Didn't you hear? The Canadians were mad about the pipeline, so they pointed all their windmills south. :LOL:

I am not very thrilled with our weather. While we do have winter here, it's rarely this severe. It hasn't been over 32 degrees for 4 days and it looks like it won't get above freezing for another 9 or 10 days. BOO!!! Between our devastating ice storm a couple of months ago and the possibility of 12"+ of snow this weekend and wind chills of -20 degrees, I am ready to move to Tucson. :)

Attachments

• WX.jpg
    WX.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45
DW and I are down here in the USVI. Third year now and we seem to always time it just right. Snow storm in the D.C. area. Our DD is watching our house and cats. 85 here in Christiansted yesterday. Southern MD winters aren't too bad considering I grew up in N WI and DW grew up in VT. But, the older we get we don't even like the whimpy MD winters. Still working so not down here 2 long (2 weeks). I forsee us being down here 2-3 months once we RE.

BigDawg,

Wow that sounds really hot! How are you managing? ;)

And here I was feeling bad about you not getting to Key West for a while...

Yesterday's storm ended up being a rain event at least in our neck of the woods.

Looks like we're stuck in the house for a few hours if not all day. Boo.
Yep, it's just storming and storming. We decided to stay home all day. No restaurant, no bank drive-through, no gasoline fill-up, no shopping for long underwear for Frank at Academy or Dicks or wherever, no bird watching at the nearby boat launch. No nuttin.

Oh well! At least I've got my new, faster internet speed and can have fun clicking around online. :)

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed in the wimpy winter we're having. Yes, it's cold, and I hate cold weather, but if we're going to be cold it ought to be a worthwhile cold and at least snow a decent amount. If we get any decent amount of snow it's usually in mid to late February and that month is slipping by fast with no sign of a "good snow", being defined as one of at least 18 inches on pavement, not on the back porch deck. And it sticks around long enough to cause some really good traffic jams so we can watch on TV and gloat about not having to be out in it because we're retired.

We did get some snow, but not even enough to justify starting the snow blower. DW pushed it off the driveway/sidewalk because I wasn't going to do it soon enough to suit her.

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed in the wimpy winter we're having. Yes, it's cold, and I hate cold weather, but if we're going to be cold it ought to be a worthwhile cold and at least snow a decent amount. If we get any decent amount of snow it's usually in mid to late February and that month is slipping by fast with no sign of a "good snow", being defined as one of at least 18 inches on pavement, not on the back porch deck. And it sticks around long enough to cause some really good traffic jams so we can watch on TV and gloat about not having to be out in it because we're retired.

We did get some snow, but not even enough to justify starting the snow blower. DW pushed it off the driveway/sidewalk because I wasn't going to do it soon enough to suit her.

You been smoking some whacky weed there, Walt? :)

You been smoking some whacky weed there, Walt? :)
For sure! I can't even imagine living in snow country like that, especially when he doesn't even have enough enthusiasm to fire up his new snowblower.

"Disappointed in the wimpy weather"? OMG, call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse.

Maybe I should start taking bets on how long it will be before Walt and his DW are going to start snowbirding to someplace like Florida. My guess is about 10 minutes....

-32C at 9AM (-26F).

Warmed all the way up to -25C (-13F) this afternoon.

It was 47F this morning before sunrise. At 3PM, it got to a toasty 81F.

Yeah, it sucks! 53 and raining. Maybe tomorrow.

Yeah, it sucks! 53 and raining. Maybe tomorrow.

It's 52 here right now (1:15 AM) and pouring rain. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 52 also, and it's supposed to rain all day.

I didn't get out all day today. F drove down the street just to look around. He said all the places that usually flood, were flooded. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Governor John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency for all of Louisiana due to the weather. Doesn't seem that bad where we are, but then I haven't been out so what do I know.

If it freezes on Sunday or Monday as predicted, all bets are off. Nobody here knows how to drive on ice any more than I do. Even if I was the world's best driver on ice, I'd stay off the roads because people drive like they're nuts.

We got about 4 inches of snow again yesterday. I decided to start shoveling it to get some exercise, and at some point switch over to the snow thrower. But the day was so pleasant in my view - mid-30s, cloudy but zero wind - and the snow so light - very little lifting needed, primarily pushing - I ended up clearing the entire driveway. The neighbors dogs barked to keep me company, but once I gave them snacks they settled down and calmly watched, probably wondering why this human was clearing snow that they loved to play in :).

We're in our winter storm season now. So about every week or 10 days, we get a big blow with lots of rain. Temp wise, it's chilly (to us) at night, but daytime is maybe 80 - so quite comfortable. Last storm, we had some water coming in around the windows, forced through by the wind. We're hoping the next storm will stall out before it gets to our Island. We've had localized flooding plus some older trees being uprooted. BUT the hills on leeward side are green again. Yay!

It's 52 here right now (1:15 AM) and pouring rain. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 52 also, and it's supposed to rain all day.

I didn't get out all day today. F drove down the street just to look around. He said all the places that usually flood, were flooded. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Governor John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency for all of Louisiana due to the weather. Doesn't seem that bad where we are, but then I haven't been out so what do I know.

If it freezes on Sunday or Monday as predicted, all bets are off. Nobody here knows how to drive on ice any more than I do. Even if I was the world's best driver on ice, I'd stay off the roads because people drive like they're nuts.
If it's going to freeze/ice storm: Stay home. Make sure any outdoor hoses are detached. Turn on your facets to a slight trickle.

Reactions: W2R
4" more snow coming. Our driveway is already like a bobsled track. I have an atv with a plow, but I can't push the snow off the side due to frozen snow piles on each side. I have to push it 800' to the street. According to the forecast, we won't get up to freezing until 8 days from now.

30 and light snow right now south of Seattle, and a storm warning for 6 to 12 inches overnight and tomorrow, more to the south than Seattle proper. Work had shut down today but I went in and did a project on the dump truck and called it a half-day.

Last edited:
If it's going to freeze/ice storm: Stay home. Make sure any outdoor hoses are detached. Turn on your facets to a slight trickle.
Good advice, thank you! I'll do all that for sure. Frank wrapped the outside pipes on our homes (built on slabs), a few years ago, I guess near the faucets and stuff. I'll ask him to check the wrappings to see if they are still good. I have no plants except grass and it never needs watering in our wet climate, so I don't have any hoses to worry about and no need to cover any plants.

Luckily we have all we need to stay at home on Monday night due to all the panics that occurred during 2020 (pandemic, elections, hurricanes, etc). So we'll stay home once it gets below freezing. That should be Monday night. It hasn't been below freezing since 2018, and that was just barely a light freeze; this one on Monday night is supposed to be not just a freeze but a hard freeze down to the mid 20's. Right now it is 48F.

Today we went looking for long underwear for him since he will have to work outside at the bar tomorrow night. (Pandemic rules are that they can't have entertainment indoors, so the show is outside on the bar's patio). We couldn't find any at Dick's or Academy, so Plan B is for him to layer. This is his "fun job"... (rolling my eyes) Oh well! He probably WILL have fun if he dresses warmly.

one nice trick for those pipes in outside walls, is to open up the cabinet doors under those sinks. That works in many cases. My mom's bathroom sink on the north wall would freeze up when it really got cold, so she would get a fresh straw bale to put against the foundation outside and then use it for gardening the following season.

one nice trick for those pipes in outside walls, is to open up the cabinet doors under those sinks. That works in many cases. My mom's bathroom sink on the north wall would freeze up when it really got cold, so she would get a fresh straw bale to put against the foundation outside and then use it for gardening the following season.

Thanks!! Frank told me to open the cabinet doors under the sinks too, so we do both. But I appreciate the advice because honestly I am dumber than rocks when it comes to preparation for freezing weather.

Thanks!! Frank told me to open the cabinet doors under the sinks too, so we do both. But I appreciate the advice because honestly I am dumber than rocks when it comes to preparation for freezing weather.

I see you're in New Orleans so you don't have a lot of experience with cold. Up here no one has plumbing in outside walls...the pipes wouldn't last through mid-November, never mind a full winter. :LOL:

It was -38C this morning with a wind chill of -50. In Fahrenheit that's -36 and -58.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom