Thoughts on money, finances and life

!!!

Very true. This is exactly what I struggle with. Almost every day I find myself thinking about getting the best possible deal on something or another (or bemoaning the fact that I overpaid or might end up overpaying for something), even though FIRECalc says I can spend much more than I do each year. I'm really not sure my LBYM mindset will ever fundamentally change. That's good in a way, I guess, but it would be nice if I could get comfortable loosening up the purse strings a little more and enjoying the spoils of my good fortune while I'm still young and healthy enough to do so!

If you REALLY want to do that (and subconsciously you might not), give yourself an assignment. Go out and spend on something you might not otherwise that is not super expensive, but that you would enjoy.

For us it has been dining out. We go out now at least a couple of times a month with friends (sometimes more, sometimes less) and don't give it a second thought. It is no longer just a reason to celebrate a milestone like an anniversary or a birthday; it is a celebration of life in retirement!!

Back
Top Bottom