Time to reset the clocks

I like DST, but I would like it year-round. Having it light outside at 7:00 am doesn't mean as much to me as it bothers me when it's dark at 4:30 pm.

Everything I have other than the analog clock in the kitchen has setting for time zone and DST on/off. So I set for Pacific Time and DST to on.

"As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was on my watch, yeah
And I said......."

4 appliances and two cars need the clocks reset.
I wish we kept the same time year round, I don't care if its DST or Standard, just stop changing it! :)

All ours are done, some auto, some manual. We don't change the time on our thermostats, just let them ride year round - a little rebel is good...

It's the back and forth that is the pain. Here there is a movement for year round DST and legislation is under consideration and likely to pass but will only take effect if key bordering jurisdictions also make the change - Quebec and NY. Agree with others that it doesn't really impact much when retired. Didn't notice a big impact when working except that for some reason it always seemed that I was scheduled to work the 'fall back' Saturday night and wound up having to work an extra hour. :(

We don't change the time on our thermostats, just let them ride year round - a little rebel is good...

During the school year the wife gets to sleep in until 5am. (I get up at 3:15) So I have the heat set to turn up (from 62) to 67 at 5am M-F so when she gets out of the shower it's nice & toasty in the bathroom for her. That's the only reason we set the time on the thermostat. We got a new furnace last November so we had to get a new t-stat. We declined the Wi-Fi option. (see Wi-Fi washing machine thread)

Last edited:
Love a wifi thermostat. If I forget when we go out if town I can fix it. Likewise I can preheat or precool as we arrive back. I also like to keep an eye on the humidity. Can tweak it uf i feel house getting too humid

DST particularly sucks when you live 10 miles from the eastern border of the central time zone. :(

This biannual clock dance we do is plain silly, IMO.

I grew up near the eastern edge of the time zone (NYC), so I was completely accustomed to coming home from school in the dark (4 pm).

Now I live near the western edge of that same time zone (Cincinnati area) and I think it's much better here.

I had friends who lived in small towns near the Ohio/Indiana border and every one of them had one special clock in their home set to the other time.

But time zones are hard for many people to understand. When I lived in Brazil I did a lot of business with folks in the US. They always thought that since Rio de Janeiro was south of New York, it must be in the same time zone. It was just too hard for them to look at a globe and see that it was two hours later than NY. :facepalm:

The power company shut off our power for an hour Friday morning to do some work on the lines. So, I got to reset all the clocks once power was restored.

As I was resetting them I was tempted to set them all back an hour then and there to avoid having to make the rounds again Saturday night. :facepalm:

While the Fall time change is easier for my body to adjust to, it is tougher on my oldest (digital) clock radio. That clock's time adjustment can only be made in a forward direction on a total time setting. That means, I have to move it forward 23 hours in order to move the time backward by one hour. It has a "fast" button but I still have to hold it down for a minute or so before I can switch to the "slow" button to zero in on the correct time without passing it. I used to have a second clock like that which wasn't digital but I had to spin a dial around for a few minutes to advance it 23 hours. That was a major PITA, so I wasn't upset wen the clock radio died in the late 1980s or 1990s.

The power company shut off our power for an hour Friday morning to do some work on the lines. So, I got to reset all the clocks once power was restored.

As I was resetting them I was tempted to set them all back an hour then and there to avoid having to make the rounds again Saturday night. :facepalm:

The electric in my ladyfriend's kitchen is lousy, which means she sometimes causes the circuit breaker to cut its power if she tries to run too many appliances at once. Yesterday, while she was working on dinner, that happened so after she turned off an appliance and flipped the breaker back on, she decided to reset the microwave oven's time to one hour back to save herself the trouble of doing it this morning.

DST particularly sucks when you live 10 miles from the eastern border of the central time zone. :(

This biannual clock dance we do is plain silly, IMO.

I recall when there were towns a few miles away - within the same state - that had different time zones. It was a major hassle.

Time is just a dimension in retirement. It only becomes relevant when interfacing with the working world for Doctor/Dentist appointments and scheduled travel on airlines.

Personally, I'm just glad that we only had to add one more hour to 2020. It's been long enough already!

Just got a zoom meeting reminder on my phone that was 8 hours off. Say what? :facepalm:

While the Fall time change is easier for my body to adjust to, it is tougher on my oldest (digital) clock radio. That clock's time adjustment can only be made in a forward direction on a total time setting. That means, I have to move it forward 23 hours in order to move the time backward by one hour.

I suppose the method I use for the floor clock (AKA "grandfather clock") wouldn't work. It really doesn't like having the hands moved backwards or bad things happen to all those pretty brass gears and chime-ringers and stuff. So I just stop the pendulum for an hour. Usually it turns out to be more than an hour because I'm not standing right in front of it when the full hour is up, but moving the hands forward is okay to do.

So you could do the digital equivalent and just unplug it for a few seconds, then plug it back in and reset it from scratch.

I suppose the method I use for the floor clock (AKA "grandfather clock") wouldn't work. It really doesn't like having the hands moved backwards or bad things happen to all those pretty brass gears and chime-ringers and stuff.

DW had a relative who owned a huge grandfather clock that had been in his family forever. It was so old that it only had one hand. Not that one was missing; it had always had just one hand because when it was made that was close enough.

I lusted after that clock and hoped to buy it when he died, but it went to a daughter in the will. It was so worn out (after centuries of use) that I shudder to think what DST changes would have done to it.

What a one handed grandfather clock is, and why they were made

Last edited:
Always have to trot out this classic

funny.

Attachments

• 53BBB53A-8C89-4967-B700-A16064DF01EA_1_105_c.jpeg
    53BBB53A-8C89-4967-B700-A16064DF01EA_1_105_c.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 27
We snow bird in AZ, so no time change for us. I really like it. This year I noticed the time change for everyone else, since our daughter moved to Alabama. She calls at different time now.
It takes my body one week to adjust to new time otherwise. I think they should get rid of it.

Last edited:
Our cordless phone in the house is so old the numbers of the buttons have worn off and we don't bother resetting the time. We lost the owners manual so in about 6 months the time will be correct.

Our cordless phone in the house is so old the numbers of the buttons have worn off and we don't bother resetting the time. We lost the owners manual so in about 6 months the time will be correct.
Can't set mine either since I lost the instructions too... Old phone... I can figure out the new ones (usually) without instructions.

Back
Top Bottom