Tinnitus help

I've been more conscious of my tinnitus with this thread. Every time I'd see it pop up, I'd check myself and almost always heard it. But it has been gone or greatly reduced 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I can't associate it with anything I eat/drink/take/do or not do. Like I said earlier, it doesn't bother me, and not hearing the ringing right now doesn't make me cheer or make me feel relieved. If I thought it might be gone for good I'd be happy, but I'm 99% sure it will return.

I tried acupuncture last year. The acupuncturist said some people see results and some do not.
I did not.
He did suggest taking some natural supplements but I’m really hesitant to take anything.
I should take vitamins D and B12 anyway so maybe I will try that again.

I have not tried acupuncture, but spikey acupressure balls do help me with the pounding tinnitus. I get it when my shoulder is pulled forward, like after sitting at the PC too long. Then I put the spikey ball on the wall near my shoulder with the tinnitus, facing the wall, and loosen the muscles there and push my shoulder back into place with the ball.

My DH has tinnitus and says Taurine helps him, he takes it every day.
I remember you telling me that quite a while ago in another thread. Some people have reported a benefit, others not at all, and I wonder how much of that is just the placebo effect.

What dosage does your DH take?

I remember you telling me that quite a while ago in another thread. Some people have reported a benefit, others not at all, and I wonder how much of that is just the placebo effect.

What dosage does your DH take?

1000 mg tablets twice a day

I have not tried acupuncture, but spikey acupressure balls do help me with the pounding tinnitus. I get it when my shoulder is pulled forward, like after sitting at the PC too long. Then I put the spikey ball on the wall near my shoulder with the tinnitus, facing the wall, and loosen the muscles there and push my shoulder back into place with the ball.

A couple references I found from a separate subscription based service used by doctors:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7741667/

It is concluded that acupuncture has no specific alleviating effect on noise-induced tinnitus.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10772302/

Conclusion: Acupuncture has not been demonstrated to be efficacious as a treatment for tinnitus on the evidence of rigorous randomized controlled trials.

1000 mg tablets twice a day
Thanks. This is one I'm actually going to try, although it was more because it could help with sleep, and other supplements I've tried such as L-Theanine, GABA, and Valerian Root have been ineffective in helping me sleep.

A couple references I found from a separate subscription based service used by doctors:

Here is another couple of papers for you: "Tinnitus can also be evoked or modulated in some individuals by inputs from the somatosensory, somatomotor, and visual–motor systems following interactions with the auditory system.6,1821 This has led to the term “somatosensory modulation of tinnitus.”18 These interactions can modulate the psychoacoustic attributes of tinnitus, such as loudness and pitch, in a temporary manner. Such modulations may occur immediately following stimuli such as forceful muscle contractions of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), head and neck, and limbs;20,22,23 vertical or horizontal eye movements;2426 pressure application on myofascial trigger points;27 cutaneous stimulation of the hands or fingertips;28 electrical stimulation of the median nerve and hand;29 finger movements30; head rotation;31 orofacial movements;32 transcranial direct current stimulation;33 and intracochlear electrical stimulation.34 Somatosensory modulation of tinnitus may be elicited with or without concomitant somatic disorders.18 When tinnitus appears to be preceded or strictly linked to an underlying somatic disorder and therefore related to problems of the musculoskeletal system rather than of the ear, the term “somatic tinnitus” or “somatosensory tinnitus” has been proposed.20"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5536427/

"A new tinnitus syndrome is described: high-pitched, cardiac-synchronous tinnitus, whose pulsations are suppressed by strong contractions or compressions of the neck and jaw muscles (somatic testing). 14 cases, 6 non-lateralized and 8 unilateral, are reported. In the non-lateralized cases, onset was bilateral. In the one intermittent case, while her tinnitus was absent her pulsatile tinnitus could be induced by somatic testing. No etiology was found from physical examination, imaging, or ancillary testing. Because these cases of pulsatile tinnitus can be both induced and suppressed by activation of the somatosensory system of the head or upper lateral neck, we propose that this syndrome is occurring from (a) cardiac synchronous somatosensory activation of the central auditory pathway or (b) failure of the somatosensory-auditory central nervous system interactions to suppress cardiac somatosounds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4134893/

ETA - and physical therapy helping tinnitus - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9351917/

ETA2: I'm not going to keep listing studies, but I went through Pubmed and there are many studies showing positive results for tinnitus with acupuncture.

Last edited:
I've been more conscious of my tinnitus with this thread. Every time I'd see it pop up, I'd check myself and almost always heard it. But it has been gone or greatly reduced 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I can't associate it with anything I eat/drink/take/do or not do. Like I said earlier, it doesn't bother me, and not hearing the ringing right now doesn't make me cheer or make me feel relieved. If I thought it might be gone for good I'd be happy, but I'm 99% sure it will return.
And today it is back, in full volume. I don't know when it started but I noticed it just a few minutes ago. No change in routine from yesterday or the day before. I'm not going to keep commenting on my experience but any notion that I'm someone who thinks they have tinnitus but it really isn't "bad" is not true. I put "bad" in quotes because I feel like I can function just as well with the high pitched noise today as I could yesterday with silence.

Quote:
Conclusion: Acupuncture has not been demonstrated to be efficacious as a treatment for tinnitus on the evidence of rigorous randomized controlled trials.

As I noted in post #14, it worked miracles for me. Subsequent attacks and near immediate relief from follow-on acupuncture visits lead me to believe it works, at least for some people. I guess they missed me during their study.

Quote:

As I noted in post #14, it worked miracles for me. Subsequent attacks and near immediate relief from follow-on acupuncture visits lead me to believe it works, at least for some people. I guess they missed me during their study.
They did miss you. You might have received placebo action in the study instead of the real thing, though. And even the placebo can help as much as 40% of the people. If it's helping you, whether real or placebo, then that's great that you are able to get relief.

Last edited:
Here is another couple of papers for you: "Tinnitus can also be evoked or modulated in some individuals by inputs from the somatosensory, somatomotor, and visual–motor systems following interactions with the auditory system

Yes, I have heard of some cases of tinnitus like that. I haven't looked into it too much since it's a different type than I have. At least there are potential treatment options that can lower the tinnitus level in some of those cases.

I decided to try acupuncture when I realized that my tinnitus got better for a few minutes when I massaged my head by my ears.
My deductible was paid so it was no out of pocket cost for me to try.

Helpful thread. I started dealing with Tinnitus about 90 days ago.

Pulsating ... thank god that subsided.

But now I have widely varying tones, ringing, crickets, etc. Sometimes so soft its almost not there and other times so loud it actively interferes with what I'm doing.

I think mine is a combo of some nerve fade and muscular tension. If I move neck, press on my jaw muscles, etc I can actually change the tone.

Starting on this journey of "well, this may help, that may help, but we don't know..."

Its a bit of witchcraft still.

They did miss you. You might have received placebo action in the study instead of the real thing, though. And even the placebo can help as much as 40% of the people. If it's helping you, whether real or placebo, then that's great that you are able to get relief.

Yeah, the 14 different other treatments I tried might have also been placebos but they didn't work. If my regular acupuncture visits are also placebos, keep em coming!

Yeah, the 14 different other treatments I tried might have also been placebos but they didn't work. If my regular acupuncture visits are also placebos, keep em coming!

Right:confused: Who cares why it works as long as it works!

I haven’t read most of the studies posted yet but the last time I checked “they” didn’t even know why some people have tinnitus. If “they” don’t know the reason then how can they exclude any potential remedy.

I have Tinnitus bad and have the constant ringing for at least the last 20 year.

43 year of oilfield in extreme loud environments, and a lifetime of shooting and hunting.

I have been told by multiple Doc's that there is not a cure.

Wish there was a cure....

I have to say I don't really understand the whole if my doctor doesn't know it, it doesn't exist mindset. One famous research study found it takes 17 years for research findings to get incorporated into actual day to day patient care. Anyone who wants to know what might help tinnitus might be able get a 17 year head start on what is commonly known about it by going through Pubmed. There's tons of studies on easily testable and correctable issues associated with tinnitus and the benefits are all positive, like releasing tight muscles around the ears or correcting nutritional or amino acid deficiencies, so there is no downside to giving many of them a try.

Last edited:
Going to sleep is my remedy.

I don't know if this is an unconscious move, but I fall asleep with a pillow speaker playing either oldtime radio or WABC talk, concentrating on the story/talk masks my tinnitus.
Not sure because I started this habit over 30 years ago.
Side note:

Long ago I listened to Larry Glick on WBZ Boston from Michigan, he was so much fun!

I've lived with tinnitus (constant white noise - both ears) since the mid 1990s. Acceptance is what allows me to live with it. I don't lose any sleep because of it.

Another thing that worked for me (and sort of mimics what my acupuncturist does)

While travelling I came down with another bout of tinnitus; three days straight.

I travel with one of those small $25 electro-muscle stimulators for my back problems. I put one pad on each side of my ear (front and behind) and put the stimulation on VERY low for about 20 minutes. Did it twelve hours apart.

The next day I was back in business; no problems. I am not a doctor and don't endorse doing this but it worked for me.

I've lived with tinnitus (constant white noise - both ears) since the mid 1990s. Acceptance is what allows me to live with it. I don't lose any sleep because of it.

I can accept the tinnitus when I'm supposed to be awake, but often getting only 3 or 4 hours of sleep per night is not something I can accept. And it's certainly not a remedy!

Many hours of research on insomnia, implementing all reasonable suggestions, various supplements, sleep stories, Calm, white noise, music, environmental sounds, THC/CBD, and even prescriptions have had no or limited effect in overcoming my tinnitus to help me sleep anywhere as much as I need to.

I can accept the tinnitus when I'm supposed to be awake, but often getting only 3 or 4 hours of sleep per night is not something I can accept. And it's certainly not a remedy!
Sorry to hear that. I don't have any new suggestions, just sympathy.

I have it too all the time. Too much rock & roll and firearms plus motorcycles with no earplugs. It's always there, just the intensity varies.

I like a fan running at night. Constant low back round noise. Soothing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom