Tipping

Ever hopeful that someone, somewhere, somehow, will come up with something completely new to say about tipping. ( And remember, "cows" has been done).

Maybe someone should start a thread about tippling?

Interest level:
Tipping < Tippling

Threads merged.

After discussion we decided that one thread on tipping is sufficient so we have merged the tipping threads.

Enjoy :)

There hasn't been a notepad or pencil in any hotel I've stayed in recently, and I was just in a 5-star hotel this weekend.

Yeah, I just noticed this the other week. What the heck, I wanted to make a quick note and nothing. Covid has been quite the opportunity to cut costs and jack up prices.

I will tip for good, friendly service. If it's a simple transaction, from the menu, nothing extra, I don't feel the need to tip, but may tip $1 - 2 bucks at the self-service cafe.

Last weekend, I took my daughter out for breakfast at a local coffee shop. The breakfast sandwich was $9 and coffee was $5 for each person, about $30, tipped $5 for a total of $35, pay at register. Upon delivery at the table, the wrong bread was used on one sandwich and hot coffee vs. ice coffee on another. My daughter asked if I would of been happier with the $2 - 3 dollar menu at McDonald's! Yup and the food will be as expected.

$30-$40 a day is being charged as a "resort" fee (atop local fees and taxes) at the hotels I've stayed in lately. Not the chain hotels, but the private ones. I don't know what the "resort" fee actually covers.

We just booked a 4 night hotel stay. The housekeeping fee is $129.87. We will not be leaving an additional tip.

Some just take it to extremes.
I made a purchase this morning at a local shop for an item that cost about $55. It took the guy less than a minute to grab the box and input the sale. When he handed me the machine to sign, I was faced with tip options of 20%, 30%, or 40%.

I tapped "Custom Tip", entered $2.00 and signed.

A store selling goods, not service, wanted a tip for a purchase of a good?

We just booked a 4 night hotel stay. The housekeeping fee is $129.87. We will not be leaving an additional tip.
Not that I don’t believe you, but I have never seen that. Any chance you could share more detail - hotel chain, location, other?

Some just take it to extremes.
I made a purchase this morning at a local shop for an item that cost about $55. It took the guy less than a minute to grab the box and input the sale. When he handed me the machine to sign, I was faced with tip options of 20%, 30%, or 40%.

I tapped "Custom Tip", entered $2.00 and signed.

A store selling goods, not service, wanted a tip for a purchase of a good?
Well, I guess they figured out that some people will tip in almost any situation as long as they're prompted.

The moment someone talks about "what they're owed" or "fair share", I'm out.

(side note: I always figured "fair share" was a newer saying, until I realized it's in A Charlie Brown Christmas, circa 1965! And it occurred way before that.)

Some folks are hired based on the premise that part of their income will be in tips. The employer creates the expectation.

Interesting coincidence. This was a topic on Morning Joe this morning. People are getting frustrated with folks expecting tips for no service positions.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks do tip in this scenario as they do not like confrontation, business' take advantage.

Best to put $0 in the custom field.

If they insist on a Tip, tell them not to cross the road into oncoming traffic. That is an excellent tip.

Last edited:
Best to put $0 in the custom field.
As to the mechanics of the transaction, I've experimented with the custom tip field by putting $0.01 for a "grab it and (let me) ring it up" transaction. One time the clerk asked if I meant to do that, so they seem to be presented with the tip magnitude before you walk away.

I work part time at a winery and we use Square. Cash transactions bypass the tipping screen. If you use a card, there is a “no tip” button near the bottom. Some will hit that button and still throw cash in the tip jar.
I will tell you 99% of the customers tip. The owners pay employees 97% of the tips. Taking out only the credit card fees.

I understand tipping when the employee's hourly wage is less than minimum, due to the expectation of receiving tips to offset it. I see it as low as $2.13 in hour in some states for food servers, but currently set at a 'normal' minimum wage of $15.50 here California. Meaning my 16 year old high school self would have been bringing home about $300 a week based on part time work at current wages. Pretty d#mn good.

So, I do not understand tipping for maid service. It is a minimum wage job, one which I held in high school. I was never tipped, and I thought my paycheck was fair with regard to what the job required. It was not the hardest of jobs, but it was certainly dull. I changed as soon as I could to something more interesting. And isn't that the point with regard to minimum wage jobs? They are not meant to be the end-all and be-all of wages?

Same with regard to walk up counters and fast casual food establishments, where 'service' interaction is negligible. It's not my job to supplement your choice to work a minimum wage job. It's just not. If you want to earn an actual living wage, start your own business, go to trade school, go to community college, go to university. It's up to you. It's not up to me.

Basic economics dictates that the more people there are that can do a job, the less that job is worth. That is why minimum wage jobs pay . . . minimum.

We give pretty darn generously to a variety of charities. That is just simply not how I view my local frozen yogurt or hamburger joint worker.

ETA: We very clearly differentiate between walk up fast & fast casual vs full sit down service, meaning we always tip for sit down, and will continue to do so here in the USA. My resistance is to this custom is now being seen as apparently spreadable via those ubiquitous tablets now being so easily shoved in customers faces.

Last edited:
I understand tipping when the employee's hourly wage is less than minimum, due to the expectation of receiving tips to offset it. I see it as low as $2.13 in hour in some states for food servers, but currently set at a 'normal' minimum wage of $15.50 here California. Meaning my 16 year old high school self would have been bringing home about $300 a week based on part time work at current wages. Pretty d#mn good.

So, I do not understand tipping for maid service. It is a minimum wage job, one which I held in high school. I was never tipped, and I thought my paycheck was fair with regard to what the job required. It was not the hardest of jobs, but it was certainly dull. I changed as soon as I could to something more interesting. And isn't that the point with regard to minimum wage jobs? They are not meant to be the end-all and be-all of wages?

Same with regard to walk up counters and fast casual food establishments. It's not my job to supplement your choice to work a minimum wage job. It's just not. If you want to earn an actual living wage, start your own business, go to trade school, go to community college, go to university. It's up to you. It's not up to me.

Basic economics dictates that the more people there are that can do a job, the less that job is worth. That is why minimum wage jobs pay . . . minimum.

We give pretty darn generously to a variety of charities. That is just simply not how I view my local frozen yogurt or hamburger joint worker.

+100

Not that I don’t believe you, but I have never seen that. Any chance you could share more detail - hotel chain, location, other?

Not to get too far off track, but I recently had an "Urban Fee" which was a daily charge that at a Chicago hotel

Yeah, that's here in Texas. I always tip generously (and in cash) as these waitstaff workers are not doing great. It's a shame this state can't amend that law to have owners pay them at least minimum wage.

I hate this whole tipping thing... tell me what you charge to do a service and I will pay you for it... if you do a bad job I will never use you again... if a good job I will... and also tell people about your service...

I have a liberal sister that does tip much more than I do but even she said that if someone is making $15 or more an hour at a fast food etc. they do not need a tip...

Yeah, that's here in Texas. I always tip generously (and in cash) as these waitstaff workers are not doing great. It's a shame this state can't amend that law to have owners pay them at least minimum wage.

"Can't?" "Won't" is more like it.

In Wisconsin we have the two-buck minimum for restaurant workers, and the basic minimum for the workforce statewide is $7.25. If a worker can't make the $7.25 factoring in tips, the owner has to make up the difference.

As far as I know, only four states nationwide have a $15/hr minimum wage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom