Tipping

I think it would be interesting to see a generational break-out of attitudes toward tipping.

I feel a little guilty.

I took Koda into his groomer. Price used to be $65 & I paid $90 inc tip. Now it's $75, still paid $90 as it's a cash only business & that's all I brought. Increase coming out of the tip

WOW, DD made us go to an expensive place the other day... a total of 7 people... and there was a 20% tip ADDED on the bill with a place to add more...

Now, one of my sisters ordered a quail dish and it was not fully cooked... so she got a salad as it was going to take so long to get a new one... they did comp her meal but still charged the 20%!!!

we rarely use hotels or motels but when we do it's usually for 1 or 2 nights. we usually leave $20 per night. the housekeeping staff works hard and they deserve it.

What happens if one pays cash? Does one bypass the tablet and tip prompts?

I confess to being intimidated to adding a tip, where ordinarily I wouldn't, when using my credit card. I've learned to pay cash at the regular haunts I go to, where this prompt exists on a charge purchase.

I tip the woman who cuts my hair well. She does a good job and I reward her for it.

Most Americans are crazy with tipping, you should only do it really at sit down restaurants with a waiter and also only if they serve alcohol, and then only if you don't pay ahead for a corkage fee.

As an aside, you should never buy alcohol at a restaurant in general, and most people should stop drinking all together, it is poison, that no amount is healthy for you.

, maybe an extra $5 at a barber if you have longer hair. And a dollar if a hotel bellhop carries your bag, but most hotels don't even have them anymore.

I agree. Actually the lady I use right now doesn't have much to do, since I wear my hair very long, and only need the ends trimmed now and then. Still, it's a cheap haircut chain; I am 100% sure she appreciates the extra bit.

(I also give money to people who are obviously living in their cars, although they perform no service and it is the government's job, not mine, to ensure they do not starve. But that is a different topic...)

I tip the woman who cuts my hair well. She does a good job and I reward her for it.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that Airbnb hosts haven't caught on yet and added a tipping option... :LOL:

I've actually stayed in AirBnBs that left a tip envelope out. I couldn't believe the gall of it. I had to take out the trash, wash the towels and linens, do the dishes, all on top of paying a cleaning fee that is more than my home maid service charges and you want a tip on top of that?

I tip when I pick up food to go.

Just habit because they said during the pandemic that the front line workers really needed it.

I tip when I pick up food to go.

Just habit because they said during the pandemic that the front line workers really needed it.

I was discussing this with my brother last night. I also tipped more heavily during the pandemic, and have cut back a bit since then. Our take out is usually from a full service restaurant, which means the employees are probably subject to low minimum wage and tips are expected. Lately, however, we’ve been getting food from a couple of restaurants that only have takeout. Their employees would be subject to standard pay rules and tips would not be their primary pay. I still leave a couple of $$ but generally much less.

Same here. She had a significant reduction in customers in 2020 and 2021 due to COVID. Mostly her older women customers who stayed at home and went without haircuts or any processing. I really wasn't sure if she was going to survive in her shop. I also didn't know if closing the shop and "renting a chair" elsewhere was an option for her.

I actually pay her the midpoint between a men's haircut (ridiculously cheap) and a women's haircut, plus a tip. I have a fair amount of wavy hair that requires a lot of scissors cutting, so I feel the extra paid is worth it. Most men in the area (Central Texas) tend to have very short cuts, especially on the sides and back. And many of her male customers don't have much hair at all. Those cuts are mainly razor cuts.

I'm still paying far less than I was back in Silicon Valley prior to our late 2018 move to Central Texas.

I stopped tipping for my haircut when I changed stylists during COVID. Because I started cutting my own hair. [emoji1787]

As far as I know, only four states nationwide have a $15/hr minimum wage.
It's on schedule for that in Illinois. Every time they jack up the minimum wage, the prices go up as well. Eating out was becoming less affordable even before the massive inflation hit over the last two years. Wish minimum wage was still around $7. It has gone up a lot for tipped workers as well.

I stopped tipping for my haircut when I changed stylists during COVID. Because I started cutting my own hair. [emoji1787]

I changed barbers too, now DW cuts my hair. She hasn't thought of asking for a tip and I'm certainly not going to plant that idea in her head....:)

I changed barbers too, now DW cuts my hair. She hasn't thought of asking for a tip and I'm certainly not going to plant that idea in her head....:)

Same here, used to pay $15 with tip, never plan on going back.

Though I prefer the kid to cut mine since he'll cut it shorter than she will.

I just looked at a receipt from an expensive place in Austin and am more pissed than normal...

My daughter wanted to go to a 'nice place' which to me mean expensive... well we did... there was a few disasters there (like charging me $33 for a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce) but the on for this thread is the tip...

My sister ordered a quail dish... it was the last one served and when she started to eat saw that it was not fully cooked... she complained about it and hey said they would cook another but she said everybody else was almost finished so she got a salad....

When I got the bill I checked and they did comp her quail and salad... BUT, I did not check the 20% tip they added... it was on the FULL AMOUNT including the quail and salad!!!

So I was charged a $10 tip on comped food...

TP that food didn't serve itself.....:dance::dance::dance:

Clark Howard has weighed in on what he calls gratuitous gratuities.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/25/business/tipping-trends
Although consumers are accustomed to tipping waiters, bartenders and other service workers, tipping a barista or cashier may be a new phenomenon for many shoppers.
It’s being driven in large part by changes in technology that have enabled business owners to more easily shift the costs of compensating workers directly to customers.
The shift to digital payments also accelerated during the pandemic, leading stores to replace old-fashioned cash tip jars with tablet touch screens. But these screens and the procedures for digital tipping have proven more intrusive than a low-pressure cash tip jar with a few bucks in it.

Clark does what I do. I carry extra cash to use when I buy a cup of coffee or a muffin from a local coffee house. I grab some change and toss it in the tip jar. This avoid the awful Tip Screen with its money grubbing suggestions when I use a CC.

Clark Howard has weighed in on what he calls gratuitous gratuities.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/25/business/tipping-trends

Clark does what I do. I carry extra cash to use when I buy a cup of coffee or a muffin from a local coffee house. I grab some change and toss it in the tip jar. This avoid the awful Tip Screen with its money grubbing suggestions when I use a CC.

Tip screens have an override so you can leave a flat amount as opposed to a percentage usually labeled as “custom amount”

Tip screens have an override so you can leave a flat amount as opposed to a percentage usually labeled as “custom amount”

Yep, and you can put a zero there - which I always do on any screen which defaults to 20% and forces me to jump through the hoops to reduce this amount. So the amount is reduced to zero.

I just ordered some garden seed online. When I got to the payment part I was asked how much I wanted to tip with a minimum of 10%. It took me a while to get past it and leave it blank.

I hope my seed grows....I might get some old stuff since I stiffed them.

Yep, and you can put a zero there - which I always do on any screen which defaults to 20% and forces me to jump through the hoops to reduce this amount. So the amount is reduced to zero.

I have a part time gig where tipping is allowed. I will tell you 98% of the people tip. The average is about 15%. Some tip way over that, some tip only a few bucks, but all are appreciated.

I have a part time gig where tipping is allowed. I will tell you 98% of the people tip. The average is about 15%. Some tip way over that, some tip only a few bucks, but all are appreciated.

Since your part time job is a service type position working at the winery tasting room, so I think tipping in your case is pretty normal. Not much different than a bartender as comparison, and they receive tips as significant portion of their job income. I'm happy that you do get some tips and have fun at your job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom