Tire rotation

For front wheel drive: LR to RF / RR to LF. RF went to RR and LF went to LR. Do this until you have had the new tires on all four positions (initial installation + 3 rotations).

You can only do that with non-directional tires.

^^^^^

Doesn't work so well with my new car either... Rear tires are wider than the front. (By choice) I guess I could but it would look funny and defeat the purpose of the wider tires in the rear.

Last edited:
You can only do that with non-directional tires.

Yep, you are correct. I've never had them on any vehicle.

I take that back; I did years ago on a van. The irregular tire wear drove me crazy with the noise and once it starts there is no fix. Luckily, I got free (test) tires back when I was working...

Last edited:
For as long as I've been looking at owner's manuals, there's a published preferred pattern. One size doesn't fit all, especially in today's world of differing sizes and directional tires.

My tires are all the same, but the fronts have a different pressure than the rears. I'm always pleased to see Discount Tire manage to get this right after a rotation. Well at least at my store they do.

For as long as I've been looking at owner's manuals, there's a published preferred pattern. One size doesn't fit all, especially in today's world of differing sizes and directional tires.

My tires are all the same, but the fronts have a different pressure than the rears. I'm always pleased to see Discount Tire manage to get this right after a rotation. Well at least at my store they do.
& free rotates so not sure where the savings are trying to skimp on rotates...:rolleyes:

If you have a Discount Tire in your area, go there. They rotate tires for free. (I think if you bought them there.) They always fix flats for free.
I've been buying my tires there for 30 years.

If you have a Discount Tire in your area, go there. They rotate tires for free. (I think if you bought them there.) They always fix flats for free.
Plus they will work by appointment "if you want one" and are usually very fast.... Not a lot of waiting around at a Discount Tire store.

Also, if they don't have the tires in stock that you want, they can usually have them there overnight so "call ahead" and check.

Last edited:
Don't be cheap on tires. Don't push the tread depth. Your life depends on a few square inches of contact space.

Be cheap on car washes. Blow them off. Don't vacuum. Don't fix the broken nav system. Blower doesn't work on high? Forget it.

But for the love of everything, don't blow off tire replacement.

Words to live by - literally!

Humble brag here. My Z3 roadster has different front and rear tires, so I can't rotate. And those tires have a lot of contact with the road and I do NOT drive in a reasonable manner. One does not worry about how many miles you can get out of the tire. It is how you enjoy the miles you get out of the tire.

Same here - the Model X has different sized tires front and rear. I do drive in a reasonable manner. DH thinks side to side tire rotation is unnecessary, rather pay attention to the tread. No oil changes to count either.

doesnt matter if you bought them there....
they want you to return & buy tires...

I assume that tire rotation is to maximize tire life. My 2017 vehicle bought new now has 22,300 miles on it. Never have rotated them. They will probably time out before they wear out, so I'll just buy a new set in 2024.

I assume that tire rotation is to maximize tire life. My 2017 vehicle bought new now has 22,300 miles on it. Never have rotated them. They will probably time out before they wear out, so I'll just buy a new set in 2024.

Good point. Since Covid (and getting old and also living on an Island) I don't wear out tires any more. They just get old and need to be replaced. Probably no need to rotate such tires - especially if I have to pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom