Too much???

Too much? - only if DW says it is.
I'm on week 5 of this road trip. This week and next is dog sitting for DD, but I'm making the best of it. Her home is in the restaurant and Bar district so it's a nice change of pace to walk to ten different resturants.
I think if I keep this pace I may sell the house and do my at home visits by staying at a Residence Inn type place. Anyone here ever do that?

Took a few years off and traveled eastern Latin America, the US and ended it with 40 days in Europe. Was well worth it. Back at w*rk for now, but definitely got the "bug".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171014-180914.jpg
    Screenshot_20171014-180914.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 53
I am not sure how to count:
5.5 months in PV but heading to Copper Canyon for 3 weeks in March
5 months in Vancouver but with trips to the Islands (Vancouver and Galiano), Sunshine Coast and the Okanagan, each a week or so
1 month in Europe just completing on Tuesday
2 weeks in central Canada

This is our first year without pets so travel is up.

We didn't really go overboard our first year. But we have been consistent through our 3.5 years of retirement. Lots of road trips - we are in the middle of our biggest one so far. Taking a brief rest at home before beginning a trip west.

Attachments

• 2017 fall road trip.jpg
    2017 fall road trip.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 58
Planning on 1-2 years, 6000-8000 miles by water, living aboard full time. Don't think this will be too much, tho :D:D

Less than a year left 'till launch! :dance:

great-loop-options.jpg

Looks like some amazing boating. I would suggest that you try to spend a few nights on the eastern side of the Bruce peninsula in Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) and anchor at Tobermory. You may be planning this and the map just doesn't show it. The Niagara escarpment drops vertically into the the lake here and it is spectacular. Tobermory is the center of Fathom Five National Marine park with many wrecks including two at the head of Big Tub harbour in very shallow water. Also a couple of cool rock columns at Flowerpot Island. Tobermory is a very nice little fishing village (though no fleet anymore) which is still great to visit (especially by boat) despite getting too much publicity over the last 5 years.

We have taken our sailboat to the Bahamas each winter for the last ten staying aboard for 5 months or so. This was the last trip.
2017%2BBahamas%2BTrip.jpg

The red line is outbound leaving from North Carolina, the green is the return.

My wife keeps a blog of the trips. You can find the address by clicking on my name to the left.

LOL, uh yeah, there have been "discussions". But she has known for 30+ years that I intended to to do this, was offered, invited to join me in retirement at the same time, but chose to continue working. She got her masters degree 5 years ago and is looking for that "last hurrah" job......

.... but yes, she still has "issues" with it, LOL.

We did have some great trips together though, 13 days in Grand Cayman (we are divers) and she was with me for 9 days in Europe, plus flew south to meet me in the Carolinas on my big 20 day RV trip.

.... but yes, she still has "issues" with it. :blush:

I have a lot of questions on this topic so I started another thread about the issues that arise when one spouse keeps w*rking

Hey fire, what would a similar type boat cost, old enough to be a good deal, but not needing a complete overhaul? And yearly upkeep?

Hope I'm not being too nosy....just have always been curious.

Sorry for the late reply....

As you would imagine, boat prices are all over the place. $30K to $300K. Either would work for the right person. Depends on how handy you are, how comfy (or not) you want to be, and how patient you are.

Yearly costs could be roughly estimated at about 10% of the price of the boat.

Best reading regarding all of this is at Trawler Forum

Get out there!

We are down this year. Family and health issues precluded a fall trip. I have cabin fever and cannot wait until mid Jan. to depart. So I am looking for a quick trip. Maybe an AI, cruise, whatever. Prices are right for AI's now or for Carib. cruises in early December. Shopping and hopefully we will hit it right and blow this pop stand for a week or two. Besides, it cold and snowy here. That is enough of an excuse to exit.

Back
Top Bottom