Travel/Walking shoe recommendations

Even then, though, they'll complain that the old people facility has too many old people in it.

That reminds me of my grandmother on my father's side. After her husband died, in his mid to late 70's, she soldiered on until the age of 102, living on her own. My Dad was concerned that she was spending too much time on her own, and suggested that she might like to go on some coach trips with other seniors. She was adamantly opposed to the idea because, as she put it, she didn't want to be around a lot of old people!

I'm not trying to pretend I'm not old (nor hijack the shoe thread, either :angel:).

I'm just realistic about it.

Amethyst, you don't quite understand. You, I and most of others on this site are still youthful and vigorous. It's the rest of the people that are old. :D

Thank you gattara. Recently, I realized that I had spent most of my life wearing the types of white athletic socks that come in 6 packs. I made a pledge to stop wearing boring socks, and it began with a purchase of 20 pairs, of which the pictured pair is one. No 2 pairs are alike. Each has a different design and different colors. I never thought about the process of putting on a fresh pair of socks but now, I look forward to it. Some of the designs and colors might be a bit goofy, but that only makes it more fun :LOL:

You are a man of style! A breath of fresh air in world full of stinky sock people like me! :D

Socks are more important than we think :LOL:

For our final big tour trips, with long international flights, I invested in support socks, something I'd always avoided because the usual white-people-flesh-colored ones are quite unattractive.

It turns out, there are lots of handsome and snazzy support socks out there nowadays. We wore ours during long days of standing in tour groups, and got many compliments from the group.

One lady told me we were an inspiration - that her husband truly needed support socks, but had avoided them for the same reason I had - vanity. But he really liked ours, and wanted the web site for ordering.

Thank you gattara. Recently, I realized that I had spent most of my life wearing the types of white athletic socks that come in 6 packs. I made a pledge to stop wearing boring socks, and it began with a purchase of 20 pairs, of which the pictured pair is one. No 2 pairs are alike. Each has a different design and different colors. I never thought about the process of putting on a fresh pair of socks but now, I look forward to it. Some of the designs and colors might be a bit goofy, but that only makes it more fun :LOL:

I have a high instep and a wide foot.

Years ago I went into a high end shoe store to buy some dress shoes for work. Their stock was expensive but it was very good. I had my eye on several fashionable slip ons and lace ups.

I told the older man (to me) what size I wanted to try. He said...sit down I want to measure your feet and look at them. You, know those old style metal units that measure the length of your foot and the width.

Two minutes later he took the sample shoe away from me, took me over to the display and pointed out three, perhaps four pairs of shoes that he said would fit. The many other would not...or would not after an hour or so of walking on them. I tried the first pair on. Fit like a glove. He was right. After that this was the only place that I ever bought dress shoes. Expensive...yes. But I still have a pair of brogues that are 30 years old and look like new despite resoles and rebuilds over the years.

Same thing happened when I bought cowboy boots. Lucked out to get a pro. She asked me some questions, measured my foot, and then came out with two pairs. It was this or that. Don't even bother with any of the others. Not many people like this around any more.

These types of stores have all but disappeared. So it it trial and error for me. When I get a good comfortable fit I buy the shoe. The challenge is that the name brand lasts for casual shoes often change...as often as the country of manufacture. So a pair of Clarks fpr example may be perfect for me but another pair, same size, may not be.

Last edited:
You are a man of style! A breath of fresh air in world full of stinky sock people like me! :D

Ha! Thanks Chuckanaut. Turns out that the sandals in the previous photo I posted weren't ideal. The front strap squeezed my little toe. Room for my toes to wiggle and spread out is important to me, so back they went to the shoe store. Then I found a pair of Ecco Yucatan Men's sandals that are very stable, comfortable, and give my toes room to move. These are keepers.

I was also very much a utilitarian when it came to socks, for my entire life up until now. I don't know what changed, but it was if a switch was flipped in my head and I thought, "Why the heck not? Might as well live a little!" :LOL:

172034861.jpg

Socks are more important than we think :LOL:

I couldn't agree more - and wonderful for you that you discovered support socks in appealing styles! My old white socks now seem so ho-hum compared to my new ones. In the Ken Burns documentary called Jazz, Wynton Marsalis talked about how poor families in the south would get ready for church every Sunday. They'd have a set of clothes for special occasions - their "Sunday best". You'd see the families walking to church, and the lady of the house would have a flower in her hair. Even though they had almost nothing, she'd find a way to make herself look special. That flower, he said, was jazz.

My fun, patterned socks, all 20 pairs of them, are my jazz.

172034860.jpg

Years ago I went into a high end shoe store to buy some dress shoes for work. Their stock was expensive but it was very good. I had my eye on several fashionable slip ons and lace ups.

I told the older man (to me) what size I wanted to try. He said...sit down I want to measure your feet and look at them. You, know those old style metal units that measure the length of your foot and the width.

Two minutes later he took the sample shoe away from me, took me over to the display and pointed out three, perhaps four pairs of shoes that he said would fit. The many other would not...or would not after an hour or so of walking on them. I tried the first pair on. Fit like a glove. He was right. After that this was the only place that I ever bought dress shoes. Expensive...yes. But I still have a pair of brogues that are 30 years old and look like new despite resoles and rebuilds over the years.

Same thing happened when I bought cowboy boots. Lucked out to get a pro. She asked me some questions, measured my foot, and then came out with two pairs. It was this or that. Don't even bother with any of the others. Not many people like this around any more.

These types of stores have all but disappeared. So it it trial and error for me. When I get a good comfortable fit I buy the shoe. The challenge is that the name brand lasts for casual shoes often change...as often as the country of manufacture. So a pair of Clarks fpr example may be perfect for me but another pair, same size, may not be.

I guess I have pretty normal feet and have always bought "off the rack." Then about 10 years ago I was in a triathlon training group. The coach arranged for all of us to visit a specialy athletic shoe store that had some fancy equipment that would analyze stride and make recommendations.

I thought, "oh yeah, another sales pitch" but went along with it. The recommendation for me was a shoe that was quite a bit cheaper than the Nikes I had been buying for years! And I've stuck with them. So I guess sometimes the store tools are used honestly!

The salesman did recommend that running shoes be replaced every 3 months but I ignored that!

I am very interested in this discussion because I have been in the market for a simple shoe good for hiking and running, geared more to trails, that would also be a good general purpose active travel shoe when I only want to pack a couple of pairs.

Merrell are the best IMHO. Really good shoes. These are absolutely my go to travel shoes, hiking shoes etc.

If you’re looking for something really light and comfortable try Kizik. I have two pairs and they are my go to everyday shoes.

This thread makes me want to head out to the paths and trails, wear out my existing shoes and shop for some better ones.

This thread makes me want to head out to the paths and trails, wear out my existing shoes and shop for some better ones.

Do it! Great time of the year to be out there. And there's nothing wrong with having multiple pairs of walking/running/hiking shoes. I'm at 9 pair or so now and thinking about ordering a new pair of Salomon X Utras.

The salesman did recommend that running shoes be replaced every 3 months but I ignored that!
That's overkill. If you were running 40 miles a week, you would hit 500 miles and that is probably time to replace them, but I alternate shoes so I only put half that on in 3 months when I'm in shape and training for a marathon. If you start feeling knee or back issues that might be a sign to replace them.
I am very interested in this discussion because I have been in the market for a simple shoe good for hiking and running, geared more to trails, that would also be a good general purpose active travel shoe when I only want to pack a couple of pairs.
What shoe brand/model did the salesman find for you that works?

I agree, and my impression is that running shoes are being made much better these days.
I used to replace mine at 300-400 miles, but my last couple of pairs have easily done well over 500 miles before I feel it's time.

I agree, and my impression is that running shoes are being made much better these days.
I used to replace mine at 300-400 miles, but my last couple of pairs have easily done well over 500 miles before I feel it's time.
Interesting thought. When the Hoka shoes first got popular I had heard they were good for ~800 miles. In general I still haven't heard much change from the 500 mile standard, and in fact I'm hearing more like 300-500 now. I had a friend who owned a running store and really knows a lot about shoes and how to find the right shoes for people, and she said that 500 was still a good guide. She replaced sooner than that, but she was injury prone, and also obviously got her shoes much cheaper.

I'll go back to what I said earlier, use your body as a guide. If you find knee, back, ankle, hip, etc problems and your shoe is older, see if replacing it makes the problem goes away, and if it does, try to replace a little earlier. No problems? I don't see a problem going 1000 miles or more if it doesn't hurt you, but I'll best most everyone sees a positive difference with new shoes.

That's overkill. If you were running 40 miles a week, you would hit 500 miles and that is probably time to replace them, but I alternate shoes so I only put half that on in 3 months when I'm in shape and training for a marathon. If you start feeling knee or back issues that might be a sign to replace them.

What shoe brand/model did the salesman find for you that works?

Saucony but I do not remember the recommended model. If you are that interested in the model I will have to go look in the morning. That was several pairs ago and at one point I could no longer find the model recommended so I picked one tha is close. But they are more of a true running shoe and I will probably continue to use them for running. What I am looking for now is more of a trail runner that would serve multiple purposes when traveling. I'm intrigued buy the "Altra..." people have mentioned so I may go try a pair on soon - found a local store that stocks them.

Saucony but I do not remember the recommended model. If you are that interested in the model I will have to go look in the morning. That was several pairs ago and at one point I could no longer find the model recommended so I picked one tha is close. But they are more of a true running shoe and I will probably continue to use them for running. What I am looking for now is more of a trail runner that would serve multiple purposes when traveling. I'm intrigued buy the "Altra..." people have mentioned so I may go try a pair on soon - found a local store that stocks them.
Not interested for myself, just thought I might recognize a similar trail shoe to yours. It would've been a long shot anyway.

Saucony does make trails shoes too, btw. https://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MRSAUTR.html

A lot of these suggestions are not the most packable of shoes, and the question mentioned travel. Of those suggested, which work best for travel (i.e. do not take up a ton of space)?

I am a big Olukai fan. The pads on the sole are positioned over the pressure points on your feet. I have walked all over the cobbled streets of Europe in them.
I also don’t pack them, I wear them. Good for casual, good for dinner.

https://olukai.com/

I travel with two pair. The pair on my feet, and the lightest Teva sandals in my bag.

Hard to fit so I take what I can get. On our way home last year I bought a pair of Clarks that fit like a glove. Replaced my worn on Seibel loafers.

Brand is a little meaningless to me. Fit is what counts. High instep, wide foot.
There are also differences between lasts within the same brand.

If you want that shoes that fit to a tee (for a price) check these guys out: https://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Merrill Waterproof Hikers are absolutely the best and are indestructible. Thick soles, good tread, good arch and ankle support. They will last you for years! I even wear them to work for my nursing job at a hospital.

I travel with two pair. The pair on my feet, and the lightest Teva sandals in my bag.

DW and I are doing a 25 day trip to Germany, Italy and Croatia in May. My thinking on shoes is wear my new Altra Lone Peaks on the plane and pack a dressier pair of sneakers (Plae) and a pair of flip flops. Hopefully that combination can get me through most situations.

You really need to try them on. I was just at Cabela's yesterday looking for a good hiking shoe. Big difference in feel. Although I liked the look of Merrill and Keen more, the Columbia shoes fit my foot best.

Back
Top Bottom