Tree Removal

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had 3 , I considered huge Pine trees I wanted removed . Called a few guys they never showed up . Finally a local guy and quoted 800.00 . These trees were 24 " at the ground and real tall . So I gave them the job. They came out this morning a bucket truck a tractor and special trailer .
Two hours later they were done even raked up the shavings . Then the guy says I over estimated it will only be 700.00 . To me this is a terrific little company ( not because of the price ) but the professional work and honesty .

I had a taller, bigger pine tree taken down. Maybe 3-4 feet diameter at the base. Paid $1,000 so I think you got a good deal. My brother a tree cutter said $1,000 was fair given the overhead (chipper, truck, cherry picker, grapple loader) and the insurance.

These guys only took a little over 2 hours and seemed so easy to them . They would go up in the bucket , cut the limbs . They had a big trailer underneath that they dropped the limbs in . They would come down so far and cut the tree and drop it in the trailer . Once the trees were down they covered the trailer and started shredding . They ground the stumps down . It looked easy if you knew how to do it.

Goes easy with the right tools, knowledge, and equipment. Still dangerous work. A logger I knew, had one spin on the stump and killed him. Guy had logged for 35 years and one tree took him out.

I agree it is dangerous I talked to the 2 guys doing mine and they said the key is never getting in a hurry and think before you do anything .

Definitely a great deal.

Here is one I took down. I would definitely have paid $700 for three of them that size.
Had a couple trees removed and a big one trimmed so its large branches didn't overhang the 2nd story roof. Lots of nearby trees, too. Your video with a guy going right at the trunk would not have worked.

Instead, a guy with a chainsaw climbed the trees and one-at-a-time sawed off the large branches after roping them so that they would swing away from the house and could be lowered. The guy had a perfect understanding of gravity and balance. It was amazing to see large, heavy limbs swing and miss the roof and the sides of the house. His ground crew lowered the limbs for further chainsawing. $500 for 5.5 hours of work.

A question for the Senator: Your video shows a tree that appears healthy and away from any structure, so why was it sawed down? Our municipality would not have given a permit for that.

Last edited:
Our municipality would not have given a permit for that.
No permit required in many municipalities.

$700 is an incredible price for a job done properly, which this sounds like it was. That would cost about $1800 from my guy.

+1 $700 seems like a very good price.

There is a lot of variation. I had a bunch of trees taken down at my Mo's commercial property last year... one quote was $3k which seemed outrageous.... another local guy quoted $750 and did a nice job in less than a full day.

Great deal. Giving back money after the job is complete? Unheard of.

Given how quickly and cleanly they appear to have performed the task, I would have written a check for $800. Especially if any other estimates were more than that.

That seems like a reasonable price, especially with stump grinding included. I paid about that much a few years ago for 5 big hardwood trees that were cut down to about 3 feet each. (No stump grinding). I just burned out the stumps.

That is a very good price, especially with stump removal. We had to have six stumps ground so we could lay new sod. Had trouble finding anyone to do it. Apparently the dirt dulls the blades. Our tree guy did it, but charged a premium to do it.

We paid $1150 plus tax to have a 50 - 60 foot weeping willow tree removed last month. This included grinding the stump and several feet of a large root that was above ground. Most professional job I've ever seen around here. Done in 2 hours and they left the place cleaner than they found it.

$700 is a fantastic price for what you described. That job would have cost me at least $2000 around here, I would say. I think I would have written them a check for the original estimate of $800, happily...........

I really don't know but that seems like a very good price. About 6 months ago I got a quote to have 2 large trees trimmed and it was $700. I declined to have it done for that price. If you got 3 trees completely removed for $700 then you either got a really good deal or the people who quoted me are thieves.....or both.

I have a lot, and a 30" tree was diseased and could fall on a neighbor's house. I called the local Woodchuck to come and remove it. But he cut another tree 50 yards away. And he never called to apologize or come back and cut the tree in question.

I had 2 trees removed that were entwined in electrical lines. They had to be taken down with a cherry picker piece by piece--$1000 each.

My grandfather's front yard had two 5' in diameter oak trees. One dropped a limb on the next door neighbor's house, and the limb was 42" in diameter at the trunk. They had to get a large crane to lift that tree trunk. The second tree still lives and is seriously diseased. We sold the lot to the neighboring church cheap as removing that tree would cost more than the lot was worth. Trees are not always assets.

As a former logger and log buyer I sure wish we could talk in consistent terms. A logs size, it's diameter, is measured at the small end, inside the bark. Obviously this isn't possible on standing trees. In that case:
The trees circumference is generally measured at 4' off the the ground. We then take the circumference times .28(accounts for the bark) to get the diameter.

I've bought billions of board feet of mixed hardwoods, and softwood some of the sizes we are talking about are very large. Or we are all talking in different terms? It's human nature to overestimate the sizes of trees. I heard countless stories of the huge walnut trees folks were bringing in to me. Many of those huge walnuts I couldn't buy as they were not 12" in diameter or larger.

You got an excellent deal.
We got 2 quotes for removal of a 40-inch diameter tree at $3200. One large company and one small firm.
Stump grinding was another $466.
We went with the large company (SavATree). They cracked our sidewalk during the removal process. We have 3 new sidewalk squares courtesy of SavATree.

I had a 42" cottonwood taken down about ten years ago for $2500 to include stump removal.

Last year the neighbors talked me into having another dead 42" cottonwood taken down - it hung over their shed and my workshop. Paid $2500 for that one and another $500 for a 24" cherry while they were here. No stump removal.

I had a 42" cottonwood taken down about ten years ago for $2500 to include stump removal.

Last year the neighbors talked me into having another dead 42" cottonwood taken down - it hung over their shed and my workshop. Paid $2500 for that one and another $500 for a 24" cherry while they were here. No stump removal.
Now you are talking prices I'm used to. Welcome to the pain.

Did these include a crane or bucket truck?

You got a good price, IMO. I live with a bunch of trees in my backyard and have had several removed or taken away once they fell over. I've used several local companies and they're all over the map when it comes to quality. One bunch got peeved when I told them they couldn't drive their chipper into my back yard after the estimator had said it wasn't necessary. Another bunch looked like they were on parole but ultimately did a good job, although that company went bankrupt after it was busted for drug money.

As a former logger and log buyer I sure wish we could talk in consistent terms. A logs size, it's diameter, is measured at the small end, inside the bark. Obviously this isn't possible on standing trees. In that case:
The trees circumference is generally measured at 4' off the the ground. We then take the circumference times .28(accounts for the bark) to get the diameter.

I've bought billions of board feet of mixed hardwoods, and softwood some of the sizes we are talking about are very large. Or we are all talking in different terms? It's human nature to overestimate the sizes of trees. I heard countless stories of the huge walnut trees folks were bringing in to me. Many of those huge walnuts I couldn't buy as they were not 12" in diameter or larger.

There's a different perspective between a logger buying trees and a tree removal company. The logger wants the most timber for the dollar, and the removal guys want the most dollar for the job.

The last time I needed some trees removed from our mountain place I called a small logging neighbor and offered him the trees for free. It seemed like the cheapest way to get 5-6 big trees cut & hauled away, and he obviously knew how to fell trees.

Back
Top Bottom