Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here - we are allowed 4 accounts under the main one. I’m not sure why they have to be in the same physical location. I sign in on my iPad from hotel rooms all over the US. What’s the issue with doing that?

My four access accounts are all in different locations.

I think that will be hard to do. I access Netflix from all over the country on 3 different devices. If I can only use it in one location, it’s useless.

I think that will be hard to do. I access Netflix from all over the country on 3 different devices. If I can only use it in one location, it’s useless.

I don't think the issue is using it on different devices if that's what you're paying for. The issue is password sharing with other individuals not in your household.

How will they know who is and who isn’t in my household? If I’m signing in from several different locations over a period of time, I could be anyone accessing the account. I don’t think it’s as simple as you’re saying. They will have to use very complex programs to accomplish that. And errors will alienate a lot of folks.

How will they know who is and who isn’t in my household? If I’m signing in from several different locations over a period of time, I could be anyone accessing the account. I don’t think it’s as simple as you’re saying. They will have to use very complex programs to accomplish that. And errors will alienate a lot of folks.

Actually since there are four logins that means that an ip address is related to each account. If the four accounts over some period of time don't all land at the same IP address or address range that would be suspicious. The assumption would be that over say three months all folks would at one time be at the same IP address (IPv4 with local NAT) or prefix (IPV6) Just looking at the ip address you can more or less tell where a site is connected to a network.. Now using a VPN say based in the US would defeat this as all would look like coming from the same address, but they might know the IP address the VPn provider uses outgoing to the rest of the web and key off that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use Netflix, no idea how they will enforce it. Maybe they are just huffing and puffing, wouldn't worry too much about it until something happens.

If we are not at home, then we are not using our home IP address. I sometimes watch Netflix at Starbucks.

Comcast is upping fees and charges in a serious way this December.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90437189/comcasts-new-price-hike-makes-cord-cutting-more-attractive

Broadcast TV fee - rise from $10 to $15 per month on December 18
Basic TV - rise from $30 to $35 per month
Modem and Voice Equipment - up $1 additional
Internet Service - Up $3 per month except 300GB service

We were holding on to Limited Basic, so several charges above were lower for us. Will have to walk in to find out the internet only rate. Don't see that posted on their site. Everything is geared towards pushing you into double and triple play packages.

I'm confused to, I thought the four accounts were suppose to be in the same household.
I'm no expert on what Netflix does, but I think they are always trying out ways to combat password sharing. Eventually they will be able to get what they want.

You mean they are going to take away access to the 4 people on my account that I pay $14.99/month (in total) for?
So occasionally younger friends ask if we've watched the latest on Netflix. And we reply, no, we're not subscribers.

The usual answer is: Oh, me neither. I just use my uncle's in-law's account.

I'm like, what? These are church friends. The Kids are used to basically getting it free. I'm out of the loop. I didn't know this is how it worked in general.

Last edited:
Same here - we are allowed 4 accounts under the main one. I’m not sure why they have to be in the same physical location. I sign in on my iPad from hotel rooms all over the US. What’s the issue with doing that?

I think if you view on a tablet or phone that they assume that you are traveling... which is why the Chromecast workaround works.

Where the issue arises is where you try to use more than one steaming device on a tv (like Fire TV, Apple TV or Roku) that are in different locations... in my case different homes that we own... but for all they know one is me and the other is a friend and they assume the worst.

Where the issue arises is where you try to use more than one steaming device on a tv (like Fire TV, Apple TV or Roku) that are in different locations... in my case different homes that we own... but for all they know one is me and the other is a friend and they assume the worst.

I think the issue would be if there's a pattern of those streaming devices streaming being used at the same time/day in different locations.

Last edited:
But what you wrote would be true for a 3 or 4 member household that travels and they don't prohibit that as long as they are viewed on tablets or phones... just if they are viewed on streaming devices.

Like if I'm in Florida and DW or DS are in Vermont and we are both streaming tv at the same time... we are still one household... just in two different physical locations.

Definitely some grey areas, probably why Netflix has been slow in doing anything.

I think there may be some confusion (or I'm confused)? It's my understanding you can change your "home network" 4 times a year with Hulu Live, and maybe more if you call. But that's for physical television(a) at your home address. You are not restricted with your mobile devices, other than X number of simultaneous streams which applies across all televisions and other devices. So a snowbird could change "home network" twice a year or 4 times if needed, but you could stream Hulu Live on mobile devices wherever you'd like. I'm sure the folks at Hulu could clarify.

Again, several streaming services were more open with when/where you could use "your" account - but as is usually the case, some/many people abused the privilege sharing with as many family members or neighbors as they could get away with. I am NOT suggesting anyone here has/would. Spoiling a good thing for honest subscribers, as often happens when service providers try to be flexible with customers...

Last edited:
I have a co-worker who has two married sisters, and whose parents are still living. They (a total of 7 adults) live in four different households far apart. Her family does this:

One family member subscribes to Hulu; one to Netflix; one to Amazon; one to Acorn, and one to Britbox.

Then they all share their account passwords with each other, so other than the initial subscription, no one pays for any of the services.

As a household of 1, who subscribes to (and thus pays for) all of the above services, I have to admit I find the above behavior unsettling. I think it is an abuse of the system.

I'm willing to wager they are among thousands (if not millions) of families living in completely separate households who do the same thing, and think there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't surprise me that Netflix and other subscription services are trying to discourage this. :popcorn: :hide:

I'm willing to wager they are among thousands (if not millions) of families living in completely separate households who do the same thing, and think there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't surprise me that Netflix and other subscription services are trying to discourage this. :popcorn: :hide:
I can confirm that (in general) this is standard with the 40 and under set, and with Gen Z, it is necessary because they honestly think nobody pays for it.

While I realize we are in a digital age, and the scale may be different, I fail to see how this is philosophically any different than someone who buys a book for $20 and then passes it along to to someone else, who passes it on, etc. That has been going on for at least 200 years in the US. The publisher and author only gets one sale. The other folks get it for free. The same goes for records (not that there are many made these days), CDs, DVDs and other media. The change now is that companies have the ability to try to enforce the one subscriber rule. People have not changed that much - I’m a boomer and my parents swapped books and magazines, I swapped records and our kids swapped CDs and DVDs. All those forms of media will slowly disappear and we will have industry and businesses controlling and monitoring every aspect of our lives so they can squeeze every penny they can out of us. I still remember when movie companies and music companies wanted to put fees on audio and video tapes to recoup what they felt they were losing by us recording music and shows/movies off TV. Rant finished :cool:.

Last edited:
While I realize we are in a digital age, and the scale may be different, I fail to see how this is philosophically any different than someone who buys a book for $20 and then passes it along to to someone else, who passes it on, etc. That has been going on for at least 200 years in the US. The publisher and author only gets one sale. The other folks get it for free. The same goes for records (not that there are many made these days), CDs, DVDs and other media. The change now is that companies have the ability to try to enforce the one subscriber rule. People have not changed that much - I’m a boomer and my parents swapped books and magazines, I swapped records and our kids swapped CDs and DVDs. All those forms of media will slowly disappear and we will have industry and businesses controlling and monitoring every aspect of our lives so they can squeeze every penny they can out of us. I still remember when movie companies and music companies wanted to put fees on audio and video tapes to recoup what they felt they were losing by us recording music and shows/movies off TV. Rant finished :cool:.

Actually, it is more akin to going to an "all-you-can-eat" buffet and asking for a "doggy bag."

How about only one person can use a book, CD, DVD, etc. at a time. When extended family or neighbors are sharing a Netflix, Hulu or other subscription, you can bet more than one are using the service at the same time. So honest subscribers pay more for deadbeats. There’s nothing wrong with Netflix, Hulu and the others discouraging unfair use - any more than your (former) employer protected your work product from deadbeats where possible. If it gets out of hand, people could lose legit jobs. YMMV

How about only one person can use a book, CD, DVD, etc. at a time. When extended family or neighbors are sharing a Netflix, Hulu or other subscription, you can bet more than one are using the service at the same time. So honest subscribers pay more for deadbeats. There’s nothing wrong with Netflix, Hulu and the others discouraging unfair use - any more than your (former) employer protected your work product from deadbeats where possible. If it gets out of hand, people could lose legit jobs. YMMV

Precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom