Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about only one person can use a book, CD, DVD, etc. at a time. MV

How is that practical or has any relationship to what we are talking about? You can copy CDs and DVDs as much as you want and give them to anyone. It becomes illegal when you charge for them. I have myself and my wife on Netflix. We don’t like all the same programs and there are times when we each watch different shows on different TVs or devices. We can even watch the same show separately if we want. That’s what we are paying for. I have no idea what you are talking about with books, etc. Let’s say you are single and have no kids. Do you think you shouldn’t pay school taxes? The entire “we pay more if others share their accounts” is bogus. Netflix will charge what the market will bear. You are not paying more because of free loaders. More customers means more profits for them, not lower prices for you.

How is that practical or has any relationship to what we are talking about? You can copy CDs and DVDs as much as you want and give them to anyone. It becomes illegal when you charge for them. I have myself and my wife on Netflix. We don’t like all the same programs and there are times when we each watch different shows on different TVs or devices. We can even watch the same show separately if we want. That’s what we are paying for. I have no idea what you are talking about with books, etc. Let’s say you are single and have no kids. Do you think you shouldn’t pay school taxes? The entire “we pay more if others share their accounts” is bogus. Netflix will charge what the market will bear. You are not paying more because of free loaders. More customers means more profits for them, not lower prices for you.
Never mind, we agree to disagree...

I wonder if Netflix and other services have to pay the studios on a per-play basis for some content.

In that case, account sharing could cost them more money

I wonder if Netflix and other services have to pay the studios on a per-play basis for some content.
In that case, account sharing could cost them more money

Please let us know what you find out. That would make a difference, but without facts, speculation is just that, speculation.

How is that practical or has any relationship to what we are talking about? You can copy CDs and DVDs as much as you want and give them to anyone. It becomes illegal when you charge for them.

Just because it's possible to copy CD's and DVD's doesn't make it legal.

https://info.legalzoom.com/copyright-law-making-personal-copies-22200.html

From Legal Zoom:
CDs and DVDs

In addition to making a backup copy of software, it is legal to make a backup copy of a CD or DVD so that you can continue to enjoy the copyrighted material if your original copy fails. It is illegal to make copies of CDs or DVDs if you intend to distribute them to third parties, even by giving them away. Additionally, in some instances it may be unlawful to circumvent anti-piracy technology in order to make a backup copy of a CD or DVD.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but I’ve never heard of anyone sued or arrested for giving copies out for free. I have heard of people arrested for selling copies. Just because giving copies away may be a copyright violation, doesn’t mean a company will press charges. Maybe if they give away 10,000 and mention it on Facebook, but not for giving them to a few friends. It’s the size of the offense that counts, not the fact that it’s an offense. I realize no one does this anymore, but people used to record music from the radio on cassettes and duplicate them for their friends. Sounds like there are a lot of pollyanish people here looking over their shoulders all the time. And are very willing to judge others. Ever speed? Ever get caught? Feel guilty if you didn’t? Did you ever turn yourself in and offer to pay your fine? It’s probably a good idea to do what you want and let other people do what they want. Without worrying about what doesn't affect you or being jealous that you couldn’t do it.

You're right, some people will go through life cheating every chance they get if they know the chances of getting caught and prosecuted are slim.

How about only one person can use a book, CD, DVD, etc. at a time. When extended family or neighbors are sharing a Netflix, Hulu or other subscription, you can bet more than one are using the service at the same time. So honest subscribers pay more for deadbeats. There’s nothing wrong with Netflix, Hulu and the others discouraging unfair use - any more than your (former) employer protected your work product from deadbeats where possible. If it gets out of hand, people could lose legit jobs. YMMV

Seems a little harsh...the streaming services can restrict to one stream at a time if that is their concern.

I simply wouldn't subscribe to Netflix, etc. if my kids (now living several states away) couldn't use it as well.

Seems a little harsh...the streaming services can restrict to one stream at a time if that is their concern.

I simply wouldn't subscribe to Netflix, etc. if my kids (now living several states away) couldn't use it as well.
One stream would be “harsh” and they wouldn’t have as many customers. They’re trying to offer a service that competes with cable or satellite, where there will usually be simultaneous users within a household. The challenge is to balance what users want while making it hard to cheat to be direct.

You can’t share cable or satellite with your kids in another state. Netflix is far cheaper than any cable or satellite service but you think they should let you share with your kids in another state?

First impressions of Fire TV Recast:

Recast is an OTA DVR. It's useful if you have a streaming service that doesn't carry your locals, or just care about locals only. I got it because between the end of basketball season and the beginning of football, what little TV I watch is networks. So I can pause my streaming service for 4-5 months and use this to record what I watch. I get 41 stations, including all the majors, PBS, ION, and all those others that show up on subchannels. Some duplicates, and many I don't watch.

Setup was quick and easy. Connect my antenna to the back of the box, connect power, and I also connected an ethernet cable from the back of my router, though you can do wireless. It powered up, confirmed my account, and started scanning for OTA stations. It only tells me if I'm getting "good" or "poor" reception, so it's harder to position the antenna than it was with Dish, which gave me a number between about 55 and 100 for signal quality.

Instructions say that your Fire Stick/TV will find it automatically. Roku and smart TVs are not supported. I read somewhere that it's integrated with the Fire devices. Nothing you need to install.

So ... where is it? This is the first big quirk. It's integrated with the Fire Stick, rather than being an app like YTTV, Hulu, etc. So there's no app to find. Nothing on the home screen. I hunt around, and finally find it on the Live menu, at the very bottom, where there is a Channel Guide with 2 weeks displayed, ability to set Favorites, parental controls, and other settings. In my opinion, it'd be better if they just made it like other apps. It would also make it easier to be supported on a Roku and smart TVs.

Now, once you watch a station, it shows up on your home screen, just like any other app you've recently watched. But each station shows up separately. That seems good and bad. Good that I can quickly get to the stations I watch most. But if I've watched a few stations, they push other apps off the home page. TV stations also start showing up on the Live screen once you've watched them.

Recording shows is a lot like it was on Dish. You find it in the guide, click on it, and it asks if you want to record all episodes it finds, or just ones on the station/network you selected. I don't see a search option. You can do it by voice, but it also records old repeats on all those subnetworks like ION they might be found on. Maybe there's a way around that. I'm still figuring it out.

To watch recordings, it's more intuitive. You go to the DVR menu. But the first thing you see when you scroll down is "What's On Now". You have to go down one level further to see your recordings. That seems odd. If I want to watch Live TV, I'd go to the Live menu. When I go to DVR, I want to watch recordings, and not have the screen cluttered with Live options too.

Watching a recording seems fine. You can skip commercials, though it doesn't show a little box as you skip like YTTV does so it's harder to find the end of commercials. There's just a little lag to show what's on as you skip. I don't think it buffers much, if anything. I don't like this. I'm sure I'll get more used to it, but it'll be a little harder and take more time to skip commercials. I have the one with a 1TB drive, but had trouble finding how much storage I have left. Eventually I found it in the settings. I'd rather have it on the DVR page, but I guess that couldn't be integrated. What I do like compared to YTTV is that I can delete recordings I've watched, so it's easier for me to tell what is unwatched from a glance.

The picture itself is very good, just like it would be watching OTA directly, which I've always found a bit better than watching from a streamer or satellite. My understanding is that the signal is a big compressed with those.

I had a few times where the playback would cut out for a second. Not sure why. Maybe the signal isn't good enough, which is why I'd like more granularity on the signal strength when setting up stations than just "good" or "poor". In fact on Dish any time I tuned into an OTA channel it would display the signal strength number for a few seconds. I also had one time where the picture just went black, even though audio continued. Maybe that was a problem with the station itself. I switched to YTTV and all was fine, but it was a different station on the same network. I'm in a bizarre area where the locals assigned to me by Dish and the streamers come from a city I can't get with an antenna, but with an antenna I can get all the locals from a couple of cities in another direction.

So far, I'm not sold on it. If the cutting out continues, and I can't figure out why, I may return it, and just keep YTTV year round. Or if I just can't get used to all the quirky ways it does things. I'll keep using it and see how it goes.

If anyone else is a Recast user and has any tips, I'm all ears.

How about only one person can use a book, CD, DVD, etc. at a time.

How about NO to that idea.

When extended family or neighbors are sharing a Netflix, Hulu or other subscription, you can bet more than one are using the service at the same time. So honest subscribers pay more for deadbeats.

I don't think you can show that "honest" subscribers pay more for deadbeats.

The service has been paid for by someone. They are simply sharing their access to the service. In the example given by Calico, if all family members lived under the same roof, does that make it OK in your view? Put another way--who is the deadbeat?

I subscribed to Netflix last summer for the free 30 day trial so I could watch Stranger Things 3. The day before my free trial was about to end, I canceled the service. Am I a deadbeat?

Of course not. You are taking advantage of a free offer and then decided not to continue. Most people do that from time to time. And I continue to state emphatically that people who share their passwords are not causing higher prices for those who don’t. It’s not like shoplifting where you are taking something off the shelf and it costs the store money, which then may translate into higher prices. That’s physical theft. It’s a lot foggier in the the cyber world. You may be costing the company some profit, but certainly not increasing their costs unless they have to pay royalties for every viewer. And no one has shown that’s what happens. Lots of pay streaming services have advertising. The more people who watch, the more money the advertisers pay for their spots. The advertisers don’t care if you pay for the services or not, just that you watch their ads. A lot of the conversation here about sharing passwords is akin to the old controversy about recording shows to watch later, whether on tape, DVR or in the cloud. Nobody watches the commercials. Are we then stealing from the advertisers who expect us to watch them? A lot of the logic here would answer yes to that question. A better answer is for you to do what you want and let others do what they want. We neither want nor care about others judgement.

The service has been paid for by someone. They are simply sharing their access to the service. In the example given by Calico, if all family members lived under the same roof, does that make it OK in your view? Put another way--who is the deadbeat?

Qs Laptop makes a good point. Sometimes sharing is allowed.

If the sharing falls under the user agreement that the subscriber agreed to upon use of the service, then sharing is allowed. The Netflix user agreement, for example, states that the service "may not be shared with individuals beyond your household".

So sharing within the same roof is allowed. Sharing with a friend is not.

I subscribed to Netflix last summer for the free 30 day trial so I could watch Stranger Things 3. The day before my free trial was about to end, I canceled the service. Am I a deadbeat?
If you never had ANY intent to subscribe, then yes. But they know there will be deadbeats taking advantage of their free trials. Obviously you don't see it that way, or presumably you wouldn't have used a free trial to binge watch and cancel. Free trials are intended for people who are actually interested to take a test drive and then continue or cancel - but I am sure you know that.

Last edited:
Qs Laptop makes a good point. Sometimes sharing is allowed.
If the sharing falls under the user agreement that the subscriber agreed to upon use of the service, then sharing is allowed. The Netflix user agreement, for example, states that the service "may not be shared with individuals beyond your household".
So sharing within the same roof is allowed. Sharing with a friend is not.

More importantly, why do you care what others do? Are you a member of the streaming police? The thread is about the advantages and disadvantages of cord cutting. Whether people share or not, no one has shown that it affects everyone else. It’s like a vegan going nuts when anyone eats meat. They are free to do what they want and you are free to do what you want. What you consider wrong may not be wrong to others. Do you shudder in fear every time you cross the street on a red light (actually maybe you should if there is heavy traffic)?? But the point is the same, it’s really the individuals choice.

They’re trying to offer a service that competes with cable or satellite, where there will usually be simultaneous users within a household. The challenge is to balance what users want while making it hard to cheat to be direct.
Obviously you disagree, no point in debating, I couldn't care less what you do...

First impressions of Fire TV Recast:

Instructions say that your Fire Stick/TV will find it automatically. Roku and smart TVs are not supported. I read somewhere that it's integrated with the Fire devices. Nothing you need to install.

So ... where is it? This is the first big quirk. It's integrated with the Fire Stick, rather than being an app like YTTV, Hulu, etc. So there's no app to find. Nothing on the home screen. I hunt around, and finally find it on the Live menu, at the very bottom, where there is a Channel Guide with 2 weeks displayed, ability to set Favorites, parental controls, and other settings. In my opinion, it'd be better if they just made it like other apps. It would also make it easier to be supported on a Roku and smart TVs.

I am not sure what happened but on any of my AMZN sticks, it's on the home screen at the top. Perhaps a little confusing since it's labeled DVR.

Sorry to detract the other posters that are [-]arguing[/-] discussing the virtues of stealing content. :hide:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 16
If you never had ANY intent to subscribe, then yes. But they know there will be deadbeats taking advantage of their free trials. Obviously you don't see it that way, or presumably you wouldn't have used a free trial to binge watch and cancel. Free trials are intended for people who are actually interested to take a test drive and then continue or cancel - but I am sure you know that.

Wow!! I assume you never had a traffic ticket, never jaywalked, never, ever did anything that could even, by implication, be interpreted as wrong, let alone illegal. Sounds like you would enjoy a puritanical world where everyone colored between the lines, did exactly as they were told and never took risks. Never dispute authority, never demonstrate against anything. Heck, in your world we would still be ruled by England.

Last edited:
Wow!! I assume you never had a traffic ticket, never jaywalked, never, ever did anything that could even, by implication, did anything that could be interpreted as wrong, let alone illegal. Sounds like you would enjoy a puritanical world where everyone colored between the lines, did exactly as they were told and never took risks. Never dispute authority, never demonstrate against anything. Heck, in your world we would still be ruled by England.
:LOL: I've had traffic tickets, and paid a fine - not sure what that has to do with taking services you haven't paid for. Whatever your career work product was, you didn't care if people used your work without paying you anything?

Like I told you 2 days ago "Never mind, we agree to disagree..." You're free to do as you please. You've made it clear where you stand but if you want to keep :horse:, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
Everyone has had their say on the ethics and morality of cable PW sharing, from this point no one is likely to change anyone else's opinion, so why not get back on topic? :) There is still lots to discuss regarding cord cutting ..

Last edited:

I was expecting not to subscribe after the 30 days. I already have Amazon Prime Video, Tubi TV, Pluto TV, YouTube, so I doubted I would end up being a subscriber to Netflix. Still, if they had something worthwhile I would have continued onward.

[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what happened but on any of my AMZN sticks, it's on the home screen at the top. Perhaps a little confusing since it's labeled DVR.
I guess if I view the Recast as a DVR device, looking under DVR might make sense. None of the other menu options really refer to a device though. There is no "Settings" device, or "Your Movies" device or anything like that. I just think they should've made it look like an app, and it would've fit in more seamlessly. Maybe I'll change my mind about that, since once I'm done playing with it, I'm probably either going to be using it extensively (when pausing YTTV service) or hardly at all (when using YTTV).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom