Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully, I live in an area where a descent antenna pulls in the FREE OTA signals. Add in Amazon Prime's video service, and Netflix and I have more stuff than I can possibly watch.

On the occasion I can't get something with the above, I can often find it on DVDs at the library, though that can require huge wait times.

Two Tivo Roamio units can handle Netflix, Amazon, OTA signals and, of course, records lots of OTA material for later playback. I even have Google devices that I occasionally use to cast something on my tablet to a TV. It all works well.

I would have to become the biggest couch potato this side of the Pecos to require more TV material to watch.

I'm pretty sure in these 159 pages, me or someone has mentioned Pluto TV. I think I may have.
PLuto TV is a free service that has over 200 channels, there is no buffering and works well.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pluto-tv-now-has-over-200-free-channels/

Pluto has been mentioned a number of times, but all that "free" content comes with a significant cost: ads. Lots of ads. And no DVR to allow skipping over them. This rules out Pluto as a primary source of TV watching for me, since I absolutely loathe being forced to watch commercials. Especially when it's the same handful of short commercials repeated ad nauseum (no pun intended), as is often the case with ad-supported streaming TV services.

Pluto has been mentioned a number of times, but all that "free" content comes with a significant cost: ads. Lots of ads. And no DVR to allow skipping over them. This rules out Pluto as a primary source of TV watching for me, since I absolutely loathe being forced to watch commercials. Especially when it's the same handful of short commercials repeated ad nauseum (no pun intended), as is often the case with ad-supported streaming TV services.

I'll take free ad-based TV over paying for ads (traditional cable channels) and having to pay even more to skip them. I don't do any "LiveTV" service anymore partly because I refuse to pay for ads (and not much into sports anymore). And while I prefer reading news over watching, Pluto has several 'news' channels, though CBSN/Bloomberg are about the only ones I can tolerate (less sensationalized/ polarizing).

There are so many SVOD and AVOD services, the traditional delivery model is now so last century.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure in these 159 pages, me or someone has mentioned Pluto TV. I think I may have.
PLuto TV is a free service that has over 200 channels, there is no buffering and works well.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pluto-tv-now-has-over-200-free-channels/
Pluto has been mentioned many times. But the content quality isn’t in the same league as YTTV, Hulu Live, Sling or any of the paid live streaming cable/satellite alternatives. Some of us can’t be satisfied with what Pluto offers, far more garbage channels than good ones. If you want free, OTA is a much better alternative if available where you are.

Last edited:
^Yes, mostly garbage but there's a lot of doable older content and on some devices you can set favorite channels. I only have about a dozen set and maybe some of the movie channels. It's great for those who like to surf channels, especially surfing the favorites that are set.

Thankfully, I live in an area where a descent antenna pulls in the FREE OTA signals...

There's the rub. We have no OTA. But we want the local broadcast stations. We also want the local Fox RSN for baseball. So we are sort-of forced to subscribe to a live streaming service. Just seems like $55-$65 is way too much for what we use, especially considering OTA is free for people 10-15 miles closer.

We could use Locast for the locals. It's $5/mo to remove the nagging. No cloud DVR unless we also subscribe to FitzyTV for another $5/mo. Price is right. But Locast and Fitzy are both being sued. So that doesn't feel like a "legit" long-term solution. And certainly not as polished as YTTV or Hulu Live.

And I suppose we could use MLB.tv for baseball, although I'd need a VPN to get live broadcasts, or watch after-the-fact. So again... not really a "legit" solution.

Current Plan:
1. Stick with YTTV for the upcoming, shortened baseball season.
2. After baseball, cancel YTTV and use Locast+Fitzy for locals.
3. Add FrndlyTV ($6/mo) so DW can get her beloved Hallmark channels during the holidays.
4. April 2021, make a decision about how to get baseball going forward.

Hopefully by then, someone will offer a reasonably-priced, lightweight, live streaming tier with just the bare-bones basics that we want. Not holding my breath.

Has anybody ever tried the Spectrum streaming services? They offer a basic package for about $15 and supposed to have all these channels:

A&E, AMC, American Heroes Channel, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, BET Her, BET Jams, BET Soul, Bloomberg, Cheddar, CLEO TV, CMT, CMT Music, Comedy Central, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Discovery, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, DIY, Food Network, FYI, Game Show Network, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Drama, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HDNet Movies, HGTV, HISTORY, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Logo, MotorTrend Network, MTV, MTV2, MTV Classic, MTV Live, MTVU, NewsmaxTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Nick Music, NickToons, Outdoor Channel, OWN, Paramount Network, Science Channel, Sundance TV, Teen Nick, TLC, Travel Channel, TV Land, VH1, Viceland, The Weather Channel and WEtv.

You have to have a Roku or FireTV or something similar, but would this not be acceptable to some?

Has anybody ever tried the Spectrum streaming services? They offer a basic package for about $15 and supposed to have all these channels:

A&E, AMC, American Heroes Channel, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, BET Her, BET Jams, BET Soul, Bloomberg, Cheddar, CLEO TV, CMT, CMT Music, Comedy Central, Cooking Channel, Destination America, Discovery, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, DIY, Food Network, FYI, Game Show Network, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Drama, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HDNet Movies, HGTV, HISTORY, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Logo, MotorTrend Network, MTV, MTV2, MTV Classic, MTV Live, MTVU, NewsmaxTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Nick Music, NickToons, Outdoor Channel, OWN, Paramount Network, Science Channel, Sundance TV, Teen Nick, TLC, Travel Channel, TV Land, VH1, Viceland, The Weather Channel and WEtv.

You have to have a Roku or FireTV or something similar, but would this not be acceptable to some?

I looked into Spectrum streaming. By the time I added a DVR, taxes and fees it was more expensive than Youtube TV and not as many channels plus the reviews were bad. Of course YTTV is now going up in price.

I can’t imagine settling for anything that didn’t include ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox - but maybe that’s not the norm anymore. No news or sports above either, no thanks.

I can’t imagine settling for anything that didn’t include ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox - but maybe that’s not the norm anymore. No news or sports above either, no thanks.

Oh, I should have said they were included too. I was just naming off the other stations that they carry.

ETA: also they have PBS

Oh, I should have said they were included too. I was just naming off the other stations that they carry.

ETA: also they have PBS

Do you have an actual link for that offer? I can't find it anywhere. It looks like you might have copied the channel list from a clark.com article dated Feb 2019. AFAIK, that $15 service is no longer available and it did not include the locals.

Spectrum does have a streaming service called Spectrum TV Choice. At first glance, it seems pretty good... all the locals plus 10 a-la-carte cable channels for $25. But, I just went to their website and configured an order. Here's what I learned...

It's only for Spectrum internet customers, which is $49.99 for 200Mbps down, plus $5/mo to rent a router. It's not clear if that's an intro price or not.

The base price for the streaming TV service is $24.99. Then there is $8.95 broadcast surcharge, plus $4.99 or $9.99 for cloud DVR (50hrs or 100hrs), plus $9.99 one-time charge for self-installation kit, no app for Fire TV, and no Fox RSN available.

That's $44/mo for a streaming service that includes 5 locals and 10 cable channels, with no Fox RSN.

Do you have an actual link for that offer? I can't find it anywhere. It looks like you might have copied the channel list from a clark.com article dated Feb 2019. AFAIK, that $15 service is no longer available and it did not include the locals.

Spectrum does have a streaming service called Spectrum TV Choice. At first glance, it seems pretty good... all the locals plus 10 a-la-carte cable channels for $25. But, I just went to their website and configured an order. Here's what I learned...

It's only for Spectrum internet customers, which is $49.99 for 200Mbps down, plus $5/mo to rent a router. It's not clear if that's an intro price or not.

The base price for the streaming TV service is $24.99. Then there is $8.95 broadcast surcharge, plus $4.99 or $9.99 for cloud DVR (50hrs or 100hrs), plus $9.99 one-time charge for self-installation kit, no app for Fire TV, and no Fox RSN available.

That's $44/mo for a streaming service that includes 5 locals and 10 cable channels, with no Fox RSN.

No, it was here on the Charter Communications page, but this is almost a year and half old, so I guess too out-of-date. https://corporate.charter.com/newsroom/spectrum-to-offer-new-innovative-video-service-spectrum-tv-essentials-to-spectrum-internet-customers-2

ETA: This is called Spectrum TV Essentials.

No, it was here on the Charter Communications page, but this is almost a year and half old, so I guess too out-of-date. https://corporate.charter.com/newsroom/spectrum-to-offer-new-innovative-video-service-spectrum-tv-essentials-to-spectrum-internet-customers-2

ETA: This is called Spectrum TV Essentials.
That’s misleading at best, no wonder I didn’t find anything like that from Spectrum where I am. And I didn’t see where it included majors or PBS either...

I paused our YouTube TV streaming yesterday for 8 weeks. We will start the pause on 7/30/20. We have Amazon and Netflix. I am not sure how we will do without Live TV. I will be following this thread closely.

I paused our YouTube TV streaming yesterday for 8 weeks. We will start the pause on 7/30/20. We have Amazon and Netflix. I am not sure how we will do without Live TV. I will be following this thread closely.

Have been w/out LiveTV a couple years now. Here's my 'dump LiveTV because it's so last century primer'...

A good way to get A LOT of content on the cheap is to rotate a couple services each month or two rather than subscribe to any one every month. Outside annual subs like Prime, can rotate SVOD services... Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO (now MAX), CBSAA, Peacock+, etc each month or two as well as maybe rotate an educational like CuriosityStream, Magellan, Smithsonian, PBS Passport, etc. If into sports, add sport-specific services as desired during seasons. You get the content of many services over a year for the price of just a couple. And then when going back it's like a new service with refreshed content. It's easier to manage than it sounds as you just pause a service, not really cancel. And they keep your profile for typically 9-12 months depending. Password manager in most browsers makes it easy to jump back in.

Plus all the free ad-based services (AVOD)... Pluto, Tubi, Crackle, IMDB TV, Peakcock, etc. Pluto good for various free news. And with library card check out the excellent free Kanopy and Hoopla services (no ads).

Use sites/apps like JustWatch and ReelGood to find content on just about every service. ReelGood available on some streaming devices is a great tool, otherwise JustWatch.com on web is even more comprehensive (JW streaming FireTV app pretty limited for now).

I do still check out various LiveTV trials once in a while, using a different junk email address/CC each time if needed.

Last edited:
That’s misleading at best, no wonder I didn’t find anything like that from Spectrum where I am. And I didn’t see where it included majors or PBS either...

Well, I saw it somewhere else, I don't recall where, but it doesn't matter anyway and not worth discussing since apparently this particular package is no longer even offered. So I'm sorry I brought it up. My original question was, does anyone use the Spectrum streaming service. It appears not.

I had once checked into Spectrum Choice as I like the headline of a reasonable price ($25 IIRC) for the majors and 10 cable channels of your choice. But after adding in fees and equipment costs it didn't seem to be much of a deal so I didn't bother to oursue it any further.

I think we were offered the $15 spectrum deal. The $5 rental is if you want to use their WiFi router. I don’t know about additional fees. With cox we were paying a $10-15/mo sports surplus fee, which was especially infuriating given that we watch zero sports. We did sling at $30/mo instead of spectrum, because we wanted the news channels. We get local ota and through roku.

Have been w/out LiveTV a couple years now. Here's my 'dump LiveTV because it's so last century primer'...

A good way to get A LOT of content on the cheap is to rotate a couple services each month or two rather than subscribe to any one every month. Outside annual subs like Prime, can rotate SVOD services... Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO (now MAX), CBSAA, Peacock+, etc each month or two as well as maybe rotate an educational like CuriosityStream, Magellan, Smithsonian, PBS Passport, etc. If into sports, add sport-specific services as desired during seasons. You get the content of many services over a year for the price of just a couple. And then when going back it's like a new service with refreshed content. It's easier to manage than it sounds as you just pause a service, not really cancel. And they keep your profile for typically 9-12 months depending. Password manager in most browsers makes it easy to jump back in.

Plus all the free ad-based services (AVOD)... Pluto, Tubi, Crackle, IMDB TV, Peakcock, etc. Pluto good for various free news. And with library card check out the excellent free Kanopy and Hoopla services (no ads).

Use sites/apps like JustWatch and ReelGood to find content on just about every service. ReelGood available on some streaming devices is a great tool, otherwise JustWatch.com on web is even more comprehensive (JW streaming FireTV app pretty limited for now).

I do still check out various LiveTV trials once in a while, using a different junk email address/CC each time if needed.

Thanks. I will have to check out some of these. I have not even heard of some of the.

^^And it's easy to switch around various services using same hardware. Though I'm not doing LiveTV services anymore as I refuse to pay for ads (and no longer into sports). Instead rotate many SVOD services (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, CuriostiyStream, Magellan, etc) and there are plenty of free (Pluto, Tubi, Crackle, Peacock, etc).

Speaking of not paying for ads, I just rescanned the channels on my free OTA and got about 10 new channels I didn't have before (they were added since my previous scan 4 years ago). I even get ABC and Fox now. Before it was all local stuff. Something to consider if I want to cancel cable TV and go to internet only via cable.

Miss Molly, I wish to add to the comments by Cobra. A few little details not highlighted in the Spectrum marketing info. Whatever the monthly rate, some one year discount will expire. Monthly rate will go up $20 to $30 per month. Local broadcast surcharge, in my case started out at $3.50 and went to $13.99 per month. Most of this increase was in 12 to 18 months. Can you believe it?

They want to call it a cable package. Apparently the only way they can call it a cable package is if you have hardware. In my case, they insisted I take delivery of a cable card. This cable card did not fit in any PC I owned. It's purpose was to provide TV in case something failed. Again, only purpose was to say they had a cable customer. $3 a month.

Their product is good, except NO FIRE TV APP and it will not fully function outside of your network. In other words, you are not going to be able to watch it while on vacation. But cost is $17 higher than they quote and will be at least $40 higher in a year. You decide.

Sure it’s easy to have a lot of on demand content for much less, that’s well known. And many people are satisfied with that, but many aren’t. The rub has always been live news and sports.

You could get limited live news for free, but not sports that I’m aware of. To get meaningful access to stream live sports, you have to provide a cable/satellite/live streaming subscription. None of the sports streaming apps provide complete live sports programming otherwise. If you know how we can see quality live golf, football, basketball, baseball and Olympics at prices below a conventional $ package, let us all know.

Last edited:
^Yeah, understood sports seems to be the only major reason some stick with traditional PayTV aka LiveTV. If into just a couple sports, subs to specific services may be more cost effective. If into a wide array of sports, LiveTV may be better for now. There's plenty of free news (on Pluto alone) and will probably widen over time. Cable 'news' is all about shaping public opinion anyway and those who don't realize that are being played.

Either way, paying for ads is a last century model and now there are alternatives and those alternatives get better each year to the point they are approaching the new mainstream as Cable/SAT shrinks in subs. And they are shrinking at a faster rate than people subbing to streaming LiveTV (YTTV/Sling/etc, the industry calls it 'virtual multichannel video programming distributors' (vMVPDs)), meaning traditional "LiveTV" model in general is not the future. Boomers are more used to paying for ads than younger generations so not much future left though may continue as a niche.

Last edited:
^Yeah, understood sports seems to be the only major reason some stick with traditional PayTV aka LiveTV. If into just a couple sports, subs to specific services may be more cost effective. If into a wide array of sports, LiveTV may be better for now. There's plenty of free news (on Pluto alone) and will probably widen over time. Cable 'news' is all about shaping public opinion anyway and those who don't realize that are being played.
Again, that’s not really true, or give us specifics. For example, MLBTV is considered the best of the major sports streaming apps. MLB.TV includes every regular season game, with two exceptions:
  • You won't get nationally broadcast games, like ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, the playoffs, etc.
  • You won't get broadcasts that are on cable in your local area, meaning that whatever team owns your local market will be blacked out all season long
The blackouts are the infuriating thing about MLB.TV. It's expected – every league streaming service does this – but it's still awful.

That’s not a good solution for most, you can see everything except your home team and featured nationally broadcast games - for $139.99 a year, one major sport.

MLB.TV Premium was $139.99 this year. That's a pretty good value for a league that has 30 teams playing 162 games a year. The NHL is a less popular league with about half as many games, and they charged fans $159.99 last year for GameCenter Live. NBA League Pass is an absurd $199.99.

And you can’t just buy the season to hold down cost, they're annual packages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom