Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulu Live vs. YouTube TV

So, I decided to go with YouTube TV (YTTV) as I cut the cord. But I gotta say, it is a close call between YTTV and hulu. My tipping point was sports action on local affiliates and quality frame rate. That may not matter to you.

hulu has a lot going for it, and I may venture there some day anyway. As it is, I may take advantage of their $60 yearly on advertisment supported on-demand. But that's off track, let me compare the live offerings.

The YTTV DVR is better. Hulu boxes you in with the ad supported version with 50 hours, and no ability to fast forward. For light users, that may be fine. The YTTV DVR is unlimited for 9 months. Actually, you can put too much crap on it. There are nice extras, however, like adding sports scores and "key plays" to DVR'd games. Pretty cool.

For $10, you can match the YTTV price and get a 200 hr DVR on hulu.

I like the hulu guide better. I like that it is 2 weeks. YTTV's is a lame number of a few hours. Boo. Conversely, the entire interface on YTTV is simpler and more intuitive. You also "land" in better places when you turn it on. hulu's is prettier with more pictures.

Hulu wins on streaming and on-demand. No contest.

Here's a little table. "x" just means there's an advantage, in my opinion. Not necessarily a function statement.

Attachments

• huluyttv.JPG
    huluyttv.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
...Both fail to have Hallmark. Don't get in the doghouse if your SO needs Hallmark. You may have to add Philo for that...

FrndlyTV can be added for $5.99/mo and includes all three Hallmark Channels. Philo would be an expensive add-on just for Hallmark.

FrndlyTV can be added for $5.99/mo and includes all three Hallmark Channels. Philo would be an expensive add-on just for Hallmark.

Better suggestion. I modified the table. Keep out of trouble with the SO!

So, I decided to go with YouTube TV (YTTV) as I cut the cord. But I gotta say, it is a close call between YTTV and hulu. My tipping point was sports action on local affiliates and quality frame rate. That may not matter to you.

hulu has a lot going for it, and I may venture there some day anyway. As it is, I may take advantage of their $60 yearly on advertisment supported on-demand. But that's off track, let me compare the live offerings.

The YTTV DVR is better. Hulu boxes you in with the ad supported version with 50 hours, and no ability to fast forward. For light users, that may be fine. The YTTV DVR is unlimited for 9 months. Actually, you can put too much crap on it. There are nice extras, however, like adding sports scores and "key plays" to DVR'd games. Pretty cool.

For $10, you can match the YTTV price and get a 200 hr DVR on hulu.

I like the hulu guide better. I like that it is 2 weeks. YTTV's is a lame number of a few hours. Boo. Conversely, the entire interface on YTTV is simpler and more intuitive. You also "land" in better places when you turn it on. hulu's is prettier with more pictures.

Hulu wins on streaming and on-demand. No contest.

Here's a little table. "x" just means there's an advantage, in my opinion. Not necessarily a function statement.
I prefer Hulu’s $10/mo lower price as we’re fine with the 50 hour cloud DVR (you can FFWD thru ads on some networks/programs but not many).

For those leaning toward YTTV, in addition to JW’s list above - you get PBS (in footnote) and Viacom also, not on Hulu.

DW seems to be interested in Sling Blue plus Total TV package, but local channels will be a challenge. At a minimum, we would need an attic antenna and quite possibly an outdoor antenna (the latter is not happening for us).

Locast would be a good option for the local channels, but they served only the Dallas and Houston areas, not the Austin nor San Antonio areas.
Well, I tried the trick of connecting a coax cable to the antenna input on the TV, then touching the center coax wire on the other end of the cable to the mounting screw on a light switch face plate (effectively connecting the TV antenna input to the house ground wiring).

I managed to pick up several stations, so I stripped one end of an older coax cable to get to a section of bare copper wire that I connected to the mounting screw on an electrical output face plate. I picked up even more channels, receiving ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS, along with a few other main (.1) digital channels and numerous subchannels. Well over 40 before I started trimming the list.

Upon further reading, there appears to be a concern about connecting the TV's antenna this way to the house ground wiring. So, I've disconnected it. Now, I'm left wondering what level of antenna would produce the same or better performance.

Upon further reading, there appears to be a concern about connecting the TV's antenna this way to the house ground wiring. So, I've disconnected it. Now, I'm left wondering what level of antenna would produce the same or better performance.
That's an interesting idea. But... ground is for ground. It is a return path when problems happen. So, you risk energizing parts of your TV you don't want to energize, should there be a fault, even if momentarily. You also expose the TV to more lightning surge risk. I can also see it causing various ground loop issues and radio interference transmissions both to the TV and from the TV.

Cool experiment though!

I'm in the process of futzing with my indoor flat antenna for best reception. It is amazing how every type of orientation matters significantly.

Last edited:
We are cutting the cord this month. At this point I prefer Fubo. They have locals plus Hallmark. No Marquee for Cubs baseball. Everything else we like. Tried Hulu. Like their on demand content. Would have to add Friendly for Hallmark. However, the locals came up on my iPad but would not come up on TV. Gives me the Chicago locals instead. There must be a simple fix. Anyone else have this issue?

We are cutting the cord this month. At this point I prefer Fubo. They have locals plus Hallmark. No Marquee for Cubs baseball. Everything else we like. Tried Hulu. Like their on demand content. Would have to add Friendly for Hallmark. However, the locals came up on my iPad but would not come up on TV. Gives me the Chicago locals instead. There must be a simple fix. Anyone else have this issue?

That's weird. hulu has some geography issues. Yesterday, it alerted me to a Chicago Cubs game coming up. Turn it on, and it was the White Sox. Maybe the same geographically challenged person at the console had issues with locals. Try rebooting your smart TV, or dump your cache, or whatever to give it a hard reboot and see what happens.

That's an interesting idea. But... ground is for ground. It is a return path when problems happen. So, you risk energizing parts of your TV you don't want to energize, should there be a fault, even if momentarily. You also expose the TV to more lightning surge risk. I can also see it causing various ground loop issues and radio interference transmissions both to the TV and from the TV.

Cool experiment though!

I'm in the process of futzing with my indoor flat antenna for best reception. It is amazing how every type of orientation matters significantly.

Could you just attach it when you wanted to watch tv(and there were no lightening storms around). I usually just watch tv I. The evening for a couple of hours

Could you just attach it when you wanted to watch tv(and there were no lightening storms around). I usually just watch tv I. The evening for a couple of hours

But it is more than just lightning. This could be the time your bath fan vibrates a wire to a short. Etc. Basically, ground is for ground and nothing else. That's a safety issue.

That's weird. hulu has some geography issues. Yesterday, it alerted me to a Chicago Cubs game coming up. Turn it on, and it was the White Sox. Maybe the same geographically challenged person at the console had issues with locals. Try rebooting your smart TV, or dump your cache, or whatever to give it a hard reboot and see what happens.

Is it Hulu or is it MLB's draconian black out rules? Forget about the stupid new rule on "runner on 2nd" for extra innings...let's get with the 21st century and fix the blackout rules!

Why are you fighting this battle? Antennas are so inexpensive and the risk in what you are suggesting is so great... it doesn't make sense (to me, of course).
I really didn't have any intention of attaching the antenna input to house ground as a permanent solution. It was more of a curiosity of whether we could actually receive the channels, which we can.

What I don't know is whether we would need just a basic indoor antenna or whether the height of our house and the location of the ground wiring means needing an antenna up higher (2nd floor, attic over the garage, roof). The latter is a no-go for us.

Is it Hulu or is it MLB's draconian black out rules? Forget about the stupid new rule on "runner on 2nd" for extra innings...let's get with the 21st century and fix the blackout rules!

Well, Rocket Man was saying some devices worked, others didn't.

In my case, YTTV was fine, Hulu had the wrong game. (Have both during a trial.)

But as far as black out rules? Preach it! The rules are nUtz and will drive everyone crazy. Oh for the days of Cubs on WGN every day.

I really didn't have any intention of attaching the antenna input to house ground as a permanent solution. It was more of a curiosity of whether we could actually receive the channels, which we can.

What I don't know is whether we would need just a basic indoor antenna or whether the height of our house and the location of the ground wiring means needing an antenna up higher (2nd floor, attic over the garage, roof). The latter is a no-go for us.

Disclaimer: I have older (5 years or so) flat panel antennas, the kind that look like a sheet of paper. YMMV.

Anyway, I find that directional placement matters. Turns out the one in our bedroom works best when it is behind the dresser, upside down, against the wall and touching the floor. All other orientations are far inferior. The one on our first floor works just pinned to the wall. I get all locals, even though it is lower in height.

But it is more than just lightning. This could be the time your bath fan vibrates a wire to a short. Etc. Basically, ground is for ground and nothing else. That's a safety issue.

Thanks. I understand it better now

I solved the problem by closing the Hulu trial account and reactivating it the next day. I now have all the correct locals, both network and sports. Plan to go with Hulu now as they have Marquee sports for the Cubs and a great streaming library. Will have to subscribe to Friendly for Hallmark. Grand total $61.00. Great savings over Dish and now have much larger selection! That is a good thing!

Silly question, but it just occurred to me given the discussion here about antennas. We have an old dish satellite still installed on our roof. Does anyone know if we could somehow use that as our antenna? Wondering if the dish might be connecting to the cable outlets?

Silly question, but it just occurred to me given the discussion here about antennas. We have an old dish satellite still installed on our roof. Does anyone know if we could somehow use that as our antenna? Wondering if the dish might be connecting to the cable outlets?

Not by itself but sounds like it could be used with some modifications. Should still have the cable there, may need to trace it back.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-old-directv-dish-for-an-antenna
So, will a satellite dish work as an antenna by itself? No, but it can work in tandem with a simple outdoor antenna to produce potentially impressive results.

What you'll essentially be doing here is using the bowl-shaped DirectTV dish to amplify the signal for an external antenna to catch. According to Interesting Engineering, some do-it-yourselfers have increased the amount of free TV channels they receive from about three to more than 40 using this method.

I am only guessing but I doubt the dish will be very effective for OTA broadcasts (too directional and different spectrum?). The cabling, however, should work, assuming it is coaxial.

I am only guessing but I doubt the dish will be very effective for OTA broadcasts (too directional and different spectrum?). The cabling, however, should work, assuming it is coaxial.

They usually use good quality RG6.

Can I ask why? Only curious, not being judgmental.
Preference. I have no interest climbing onto the roof to get this done. Heights are my issue. And for something that may only be necessary for one network station at the moment, it seems like a lot of trouble to hire out the work to someone else to install and maintain.

Having said that, it appears this is not necessary for us. For another test, I connected a coax from the TV to a metal anchor from a holiday lawn decoration in the shape of an "H" (16" tall by 6" wide). Placing this metal "antenna" on the fireplace mantle, we can pick up 50+ stations. A lot of subchannels on the main (.1) channels.

Watching the various channels last night, after eliminating some long-distance and unwanted stations, I really didn't see much in the way of breakup. The really strong HD stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, MyNetworkTV) were very clear. The subchannels were also good, but most of them are broadcasting at 480i, in addition to much of it being older programming. PBS HD and subchannels were generally good, but they were susceptible to the occasional breakup.

I'm going to guess that just about any small multi-directional antenna is going to work for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom