Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much time to watch TV since I started reading this thread.

Get used to it.
It is just the nature of the hardware + software business.
Just put all your hardware on a replacement schedule.
And, do not buy a smart TV and definitely not a smart refrigerator.
Wait until a software update borks your car.

P.S. When we cut the a few months ago, we had to replace 3 Apple TVs.

Not sure if it is anything more than "luck of the draw" but the old Roku we bought refurbished back in 2014 has been receiving all updates and has the same basic functionality as the two new Roku Ultras we bought on Black Friday. Yes, it is slower and lacks the bells and whistles of the new device, but otherwise is no different.

Makes me wonder if the planned obsolescence Apple is noted for and others have apparently adopted is a road Roku isn't going to go down.

I have directv and att internet. My total bill for the 2 combined is $78.09 a month including taxes. For DTV I have the xtra package and 4 genie boxes that can record 4 shows at once on my 4 tvs.

^^ I admit I've never bought/used TiVo, and a 3 year payback doesn't appeal to me, especially as the (broadcast) TV landscape is changing. Am I reading this right, the lifetime TiVo subscription is $549, over and above the cost of the TiVo hardware? And a 3TB TiVo is $499? I don't care enough about TV to spend $1050 upfront and wait to breakeven on a TiVo. Others obviously do...

My first Tivo about three years ago was $200 for the unit and $100 for lifetime service. My 2nd Tivo was a 'refurbished' unit which was $200 for the unit and the lifetime service. That was about two years ago. Both have four tuners. I would not want a unit that had less than three tuners. While it doesn't occur often I sometimes find myself watching one show 'live' while recording two others. Also, all four tuners keep 1/2 hour saved of whatever channel they were last tuned to. This increases the chances you can start a show late and still watch from the beginning. Very nice.

Both are OTA Roamio units which have now been replaced with the more expensive, modern and capable BOLT models. IOW, wait for the sales that usually appear around Black Friday and other times during the year.

^^ I admit I've never bought/used TiVo, and a 3 year payback doesn't appeal to me, especially as the (broadcast) TV landscape is changing. Am I reading this right, the lifetime TiVo subscription is $549, over and above the cost of the TiVo hardware? And a 3TB TiVo is $499? I don't care enough about TV to spend $1050 upfront and wait to breakeven on a TiVo. Others obviously do...

My priority, and presumably all "cord cutters," is to watch TV at considerably lower cost than mainstream cable/satellite. You have lots of bells & whistles that most "cord cutters" are more than willing to forego for cost savings.

Added features is more of a priority for you, though you've found a way to do it with TiVo and cable at a very good price - lower than many have access to. There's no provider in my area that even offers a 400 channel package, much less at that low a price.

I'm under no illusion there's a right answer, we/I have noted the options here several times before. You have a great setup for your needs, at a lower than average price, congrats!

Don't pay retail...

~$200 for my last Roamio OTA (1TB = 150 hours of HD) with lifetime service direct from tivo.com at their end of November sale.

I was looking at the TiVo Bolt (out of curiosity) and I have to ask...

WHY would they design the cabinet like this? I get they are trying to be "cute" and "different", but that is the most unattractive control box I have ever seen.

Attachments

• bolt+_slide2-1x.png
    bolt+_slide2-1x.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 17

WHY would they design the cabinet like this? I get they are trying to be "cute" and "different", but that is the most unattractive control box I have ever seen.

My guess is to keep owners from stacking other things on top of it that might cause it to overheat. :confused:

As TiVo owner, that design just had me saying no thanks. Stuck with the Roamio model, they still sell that too.

Really? So component systems that have been around for ages now how to be oddly shaped for cooling? I ain't buying it..
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/odd-shape-of-tivo-bolt.555415/ post #7

That funky arc shape isnt just there to stick out visually however, as VP Jim Denney told us it also allows the smaller box to vent from the bottom.
Just because components have been around for many years doesn't mean someone can't come up with an innovative way to keep them cooler.

Don't pay retail...

~$200 for my last Roamio OTA (1TB = 150 hours of HD) with lifetime service direct from tivo.com at their end of November sale.

Tivo.com occasionally (once every year or two) also has an event where they allow you to transfer the lifetime registration from an older TiVo to a new one if you buy during the event. I took advantage of it once, but I transferred the subscription from a much older model that was broken anyway.

Also, I recommend anyone interested in buying a TiVo check out or sign up for emails from WeaKnees. They specialize in aftermarket upgrades, too, and they've been around for many years. I keep my TiVos long enough that the remotes get worn out, and I can usually find a sale at WK for $15-20 for a replacement "peanut" remote.

Deborah,

Our internet only access is $50.50/month at 100 mbps downlink and 10 mbps downlink. I suspect we will fight a battle on this later, as well ... Cox is no different from Verizon we had in northern Virginia - they constantly screwed up the billing and increased when we weren't paying attention. FIOS was a bit faster, but no longer the game changer it once was.

Thanks! Is that speed fast enough for streaming movies, etc.? Internet only at $50.50/mo is great. They told me $87 a couple of years ago which seemed ridiculous. The whole industry is changing. I need internet connectivity. I’ve got Prime. (My online buying is legendary.) Smart TV from 2017. The rest is probably unnecessary.

You only need about 25 mbps for streaming. But just because stephenson gets his internet for $50.50/month doesn't mean you will. It varies not only from state to state, but municipality to municipality. We pay $75 for Internet only. 2 counties over they pay $45. It just depends on where you live.

Thanks! Is that speed fast enough for streaming movies, etc.? Internet only at $50.50/mo is great. They told me $87 a couple of years ago which seemed ridiculous. The whole industry is changing. I need internet connectivity. I’ve got Prime. (My online buying is legendary.) Smart TV from 2017. The rest is probably unnecessary.
1 stream you’ll probably be fine with 10 Mbps for HD (1080p though most live broadcasts are still only 720p). If you’re going to stream HD to 2-3 devices (TV’s, computer, tablet, phone) you’ll want 25 Mbps.

For 4K movies, quadruple the bandwidth to be safe, or at least 25 Mbps for a single 4K stream.

If you’re not sure, buy the slowest you think could work, and upgrade bandwidth if it doesn’t. DW and I stream to 2-3 devices in HD all the time, or 1 4K stream, works fine.

Last edited:
What I can not understand is how the cable companies do not see the writing on the wall and start offering cheaper packages ?
What makes you think that cheaper packages would earn them more profit?

When there actually is writing on the wall, what you'll see in response is a steady increasing of the price of their Internet service as it gets more valuable.

This is all about on demand streaming only. That’s all many people want/need these days, but for cord cutters who still want live broadcasts and other other traditional cable or satellite services, there’s another whole dimension. Hulu Live, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling TV et al. It’s probably confusing for readers trying to understand cord cutting. On demand and live broadcast streaming are mostly different worlds.
This is an important point. We may also see a splintering of sources for live streaming (i.e., requiring multiple $ervice$ in order to have access to the full array of live programming available).

Here’s an interesting article - be scared! ������
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/smart-tvs-are-dumb/581059/

I have a Sony x930e and I have been following the subject of updates on various Sony forums. From time to time some of their updates to improve features tend to clobber other features that were working well. At least that is what some claim, I haven't noticed a problem. But many are advising to go the route of a Roku or other similar devices and turn off the smart features to avoid updates. I've been on the fence. This might put me over the top and go Roku.

Here’s an interesting article - be scared! ������
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/smart-tvs-are-dumb/581059/
Interesting. I didn’t know, but I am not surprised. I used the smart features on our Samsung some, but now I use Roku on all our TV’s. I like having a consolidated guide (PS Vue) and we wouldn’t want to fuss with separate apps for each network anyway we'd have to if we used the Samsung Smart interface, though maybe that’s not necessary anymore (I haven’t looked at Samsung Smart features for a year)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom