Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
with our 10mbps service we can stream a HD movie, (ie; netflix. amazon prime, etc and surf the internet or other non-video activities without having any video glitches on our firestick.

This is an important point. We may also see a splintering of sources for live streaming (i.e., requiring multiple $ervice$ in order to have access to the full array of live programming available).

I recently read that cord cutters are changing services a lot. Maybe the reason why is to access the shows that are exclusive to certain services, then move on to another service for their exclusive shows.

I recently read that cord cutters are changing services a lot. Maybe the reason why is to access the shows that are exclusive to certain services, then move on to another service for their exclusive shows.
As you know, enabled by the lack of contracts of course. Another disadvantage with cable or satellite, contacts at least for the first 1-2 years.

with our 10mbps service we can stream a HD movie, (ie; netflix. amazon prime, etc and surf the internet or other non-video activities without having any video glitches on our firestick.

For awhile I had an "unlimited 3G" hotspot.

I was surprised how well I could stream over that even to a HDTV.

For awhile I had an "unlimited 3G" hotspot.

I was surprised how well I could stream over that even to a HDTV.

+1

We have what is falsely advertised as 25Mbps service but in reality is 5 to 8Mbps during the day and 2 to 3Mbps in the evenings. Even with those pathetic speeds we can almost always stream an Amazon Prime program, even during "prime time". :)

Our promised-but-not-yet-here 50+Mbps (real, not imagined) fiber optic service should be installed by the end of February. Can't wait!

+1

We have what is falsely advertised as 25Mbps service but in reality is 5 to 8Mbps during the day and 2 to 3Mbps in the evenings. Even with those pathetic speeds we can almost always stream an Amazon Prime program, even during "prime time". :)

Our promised-but-not-yet-here 50+Mbps (real, not imagined) fiber optic service should be installed by the end of February. Can't wait!
Are you testing on 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands? Asking as my 5G band totally rocks, exceeding the 100/100 speeds advertised.

Speedtest by Ookla   The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

I got an ad from the cable company for "fast Internet" with no stated speed for 1 year at $24.99. Fine print says $2.50 Network Enhancement fee and $10 modem rental. LOL

They crack me up with sneaky wording and fees.

Are you testing on 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands? Asking as my 5G band totally rocks, exceeding the 100/100 speeds advertised.

View attachment 30670

This brings up a point. Those that are on the 2.4 band that are having traffic issues should attempt to change the channel their router is using. Many ISPs use similar (or same) modem/routers, so many of your neighbors are probably on the same channel.

5 GHz works well, but the range can be significantly less than 2.4 GHz.

This brings up a point. Those that are on the 2.4 band that are having traffic issues should attempt to change the channel their router is using. Many ISPs use similar (or same) modem/routers, so many of your neighbors are probably on the same channel.

5 GHz works well, but the range can be significantly less than 2.4 GHz.

Shorter range on 5ghz, and even more susceptible to obstructions (e.g. walls). 5G is good for about half the distance of 2.4ghz, so unless really large home, router should be relatively close enough in most homes. My router sits on second floor, opposite side of the house, and yet I still get those speeds. People may play with channels, but I find that just setting to AUTO usually keeps me pretty clean with channels my neighbors are using.

Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV)

Thanks to this thread, I just completed phase I of my cord cutting. I bought a fire stick a week ago. Today I downloaded the xfinity app so that I can watch my home xfinity channels and recorded content from our snowbird condo. One problem though. Xfinity doesn’t allow remote live watching of local channels. And the Super Bowl is Sunday. So I bought Hulu to include local channels for $33.99/ month - one week trial. Hopefully the trial will get me through the Super Bowl. In either case, I may cancel Hulu after the trial. I bring the cable box back to cox tomorrow. Phase II will be a cord cutting at home in the spring.

Last edited:

Noticed the same thing at my house, using 2.5Ghz I was getting less than half the expected speed, switched to 5GHZ and it immediately went up to full speed.

Thanks to this thread, I just completed phase I of my cord cutting. I bought a fire stick a week ago. Today I downloaded the xfinity app so that I can watch my home xfinity channels and recorded content from our snowbird condo. One problem though. Xfinity doesn’t allow remote live watching of local channels. And the Super Bowl is Sunday. So I bought Hulu to include local channels for $33.99/ month - one week trial. Hopefully the trial will get me through the Super Bowl. In either case, I may cancel Hulu after the trial. I bring the cable box back to cox tomorrow. Phase II will be a cord cutting at home in the spring.
Have you tried to record the show you want to watch live and then watch that recording in near real time? That's how it works with TiVo.

Have you tried to record the show you want to watch live and then watch that recording in near real time? That's how it works with TiVo.

According to DW, she cannot schedule xfinity recordings remotely. But we can watch recorded content remotely that she scheduled before we left Illinois. And she says that she can clear the DVR remotely through her iPad. I need to look into this. This would be a game changer if I can have full control of the DVR remotely.

Yep - definitely! There is no reason to have everything all the time. There is only so much you can watch in a given month!

So we tend to rotate among different services and if there is a special by one provider we may take advantage for a few months, catch up on content unique to them, then move on...

BTW we only have 20mbps (21mbps tested). We do occasionally watch 4K content an manage. But there just isn't that much content available. Otherwise whatever is the next higher available. We rarely have two TVs going at the same time. Fortunately we do not suffer from evening bandwidth problems.

Last edited:

Have you tried an antenna for your locals at your snowbird condo? That would include the Super Bowl on CBS. And costs 0.

$39.61 - YouTube TV (6 seats) - $35 plus tax. I got in early before the price increased to $40.
$65.99 - 100 Mbs Spectrum internet, lowest plan available.
$5.03 - Ooma VOIP phone, monthly telecom taxes after $110 investment in hardware. My mother liked a handset versus her cell phone for phone calls and we have not disconnected it since her death. Phone was part of our bundled cable plan.
$0 - Netflix free (2 seats) with my T-Mobile ONE Military cell phone plan.
$0 - OTA TV which includes 6+ PBS channels.
---------------
$110 per month, about a $100 monthly savings

The best part of cutting the cord was getting a digital antenna and discovering the incredible number of OTA channels playing my favorite old shows such as Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, and many more.

As you know, enabled by the lack of contracts of course.
In many areas you can subscribe to cable now month-to-month - you just don't get a discount. We see the same story with Amazon's streaming service: $59/year or $12.99/month. All that is different is the break-even point, and that'll probably converge too.

In many areas you can subscribe to cable now month-to-month - you just don't get a discount. We see the same story with Amazon's streaming service: $59/year or $12.99/month. All that is different is the break-even point, and that'll probably converge too.

You got me to looking and I didn't see an annual $59 deal but did see a 30 day free trial of Prime video. I signed up for that. :)

Not where I live, but I just did a search and found a satellite and a cable TV service with no contract, not sure where available. Interesting. Has to be a catch?

Our set up. Home.... no OTA available so we use Dish satellite with the $20/month Welcome Pack skinny programming to get our locals, DW's beloved HGTV and some others. We have 4 TVs that can all access our centralized DVR so equipment cost is $40/month. Total cost is ~$65/month with fees and taxes. Add very fast cable internet that regular price is $65/month but currently getting $20/month promotional credit. So total of $130/month for TV and internet. Streaming probably not in the cards as DW has difficulty just changing the source. $5/month off season... so $1,200/year.

Winter condo.... HOA provides basic SD cable... we add internet and upgrade TV to HD and add DVR for a total of $75/months after $25/month promotional credit. Since we downgrade to the HOA basic SD cable each summer we continually qualify for promotional credits... so a $75/month for half the year and $0/month for the other half, so $450/year.

Add in Prime and we're at about $1,800/year or $150/month for TV and internet at two homes.

Last edited:
Over a year since I dropped cable TV.

Have not missed it at all. Occasionally read news on paper. I find reading headlines online more than enough. Sometimes actually read some of the articles. Have outdoor antanna, I have long forgotten what and how many stations are receivable. Just never found a good enough reason to watch TV.

IMHO headlines are designed designed to maximally annoy readers so they will bite and actually read the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom