Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I gather, Apple TV Channels is just an update to the Apple TV app, which enables the same functionality as Amazon "Channels." This includes on-demand streaming services like HBO, Showtime, CBS All Access, BritBox, and Curiosity Stream. No Netflix, Hulu, or live services like PS Vue. You'll have to subscribe to those separately.
Thanks, the fact that some apps will fall under Apple TV and others don’t, makes it seem kinda pointless to me. YMMV

1. After about a month & 1/2 of youtubetv, we're quite pleased, including DW. It has the main network channels, but the sports lineup is quite good, as I found out during the beginning of the NCAA tournament. I was able to get almost all games (it has CBS; CBS sports; Fox1 Sports; all the ESPN channels + regional sports networks + 2 MLB channels + some channel named TrueTV that carried some of the first round NCAA games). Also virtual (streaming) DVR with unlimited recording. Some movie channels and Nat Geo. CNBC. Doesn't have Bloomberg TV is the only thing I miss, but I'll survive.
40$/month

2. For you MLB fans and who are using T-Mobile, you can sign up to MLB Live for free this week through T-Mobile (See T-Mobile Tuesdays app). That saved me 120$ (I watch the Astros and some Red Sox games streaming on MLBLive. Great service.)

Thanks for the links. That's helpful. But how does one find actual pricing information, including tax and broadcast fees? I've heard the real price is $30-35 all-in. What platforms are supported? It appears Fire TV is not, which would be a showstopper for me. DVR options and price? Cloud DVR? Regional sports add-on options and price? I've found some info on tech/news websites, but much of it appears dated, incomplete, and contradictory. I just can't find anything authoritative directly from Spectrum aside from your two links, which address some, but not all, of my questions.

I suppose this offering is really intended more to provide an option to current Spectrum customers who are thinking of cutting the cord. If they actually wanted to sell this service to the general public, they sure do make it difficult to find information. Is this even available to anyone? Or just existing Spectrum TV customers?

Last edited:
My experience is that Apple streaming services tend to be pricey. We have never bought a show via iTunes - too expensive. I'm happy subscribing directly with Netflix, etc., through the Apple TV interface. In the Netflix case we get charged via iTunes which is convenient. If Apple do come out with better prices for some of the providers such as HBO or Starz I'll definitely be interested. Actually Starz is currently $8.99 via Apple TV.

We never used the Apple TV app because it doesn't talk to Netflix which we use heavily. It does talk to our Amazon Prime, PBS, and Hulu apps. I suspect Netflix is the one who resists this linkage.

I'm fine with the current Apple TV platform - it's fine to me to select a streaming provider such as PBS, and then browse their content or return to a currently watched show. It's only two levels, and it's easy to switch between provider apps by double clicking on the TV icon button. I don't feel a strong need for an aggregator.

Last edited:
Yes, YouTubeTV is the bomb for sports. Also includes the Tennis Channel and the Golf Channel. And we signed up for free MLB today. Love my T-Mobile (which also gives us free Netflix).

1. After about a month & 1/2 of youtubetv, we're quite pleased, including DW. It has the main network channels, but the sports lineup is quite good, as I found out during the beginning of the NCAA tournament. I was able to get almost all games (it has CBS; CBS sports; Fox1 Sports; all the ESPN channels + regional sports networks + 2 MLB channels + some channel named TrueTV that carried some of the first round NCAA games). Also virtual (streaming) DVR with unlimited recording. Some movie channels and Nat Geo. CNBC. Doesn't have Bloomberg TV is the only thing I miss, but I'll survive.
40$/month

2. For you MLB fans and who are using T-Mobile, you can sign up to MLB Live for free this week through T-Mobile (See T-Mobile Tuesdays app). That saved me 120$ (I watch the Astros and some Red Sox games streaming on MLBLive. Great service.)

I don't feel a strong need for an aggregator.

Yeah, I feel the same - for now.

I'm going to give the new version of the Apple TV app a chance. I had remapped the /TV ICON/ on the remote to take me back to the primary Apple TV interface screen instead into the TV app, but maybe I'll try it the other way for a bit.

The two main apps I use are Netflix and Tablo (I'm giving Tablo a try as a replacement for TiVo since it integrates into the Apple TV and I don't have to switch inputs on the TV any more - so far too good). When these apps are on the top row of the Apple TV's interface, they display their "Up Next" items on the very top of the Apple TV display. Very nice short cuts for getting to the current series I'm watching on Netflix or the last item recorded on the Tablo.

The photo you posted was of Ann Thai's introduction of Apple Arcade, a game subscription service. Different set of companies.

Right. Dang. I saw a great photo of Tim Cook on stage with the logos of the participating cable channels. Most of them were not core or mainstream.

All the announcements showed service offerings in well established business areas with lots of competitors. Apple adds no IP, just approach, packaging and delivery. Hard to see how this enables them to take share. Also wondering how this becomes an important source of profit.

I can see the appeal of aggregating for some people, so that they don't have to seek out different apps, download them, create logins for them or log in with their cable TV subscription, etc.

I go between a half dozen apps. now, which is a mix of streaming, TV network apps and my Plex server where I have my own downloads.

These apps. more or less fit on one screen of my 4th generation Apple TV, though I'd have to scroll up to see the Settings app. or other apps. I might use.

If I have to scroll more to access all these different network apps, I might be interested in aggregation at that point.

My 3rd generation Apple TV in the bedroom, on which you can't download apps., has a lot more busy screen as Apple updates the OS for it and adds more and more network apps. But these are built-in, they're there whether I use them or not.

So I'll see if they have the TV app. there and whether I can just used that.

40$/month
We have the PlayStation Vue Core package ($50/mo) and it includes 17 sports channels - pretty much every GOOD sports channel I know of. Not better (or worse) than YouTube TV, just another alternative.

We have the PlayStation Vue Core package ($50/mo) and it includes 17 sports channels - pretty much every GOOD sports channel I know of. Not better (or worse) than YouTube TV, just another alternative.
PlayStation Vue and Philo were the two we were looking at when trying to decide on cutting the cord because they provide the Discover suite of channels, which is an absolute requirement for my wife. Some of the streaming services won't work with Samsung Smart TVs (we have two), which limited our options.

If it were just me, I would have cut the cord last year. With my wife, we may never cut the cord. For her, convenience >>>>>> cost.

After cutting the cord 2 months ago, as we departed for our annual 2 month winter sojourn south of the border, we returned earlier this week and after comparing the various streaming options to traditional cable, we plugged back in with Spectrum with new customer pricing. The additional cost over Internet only is $81/mo for the silver package, including DVR, HBO and Showtime and a bunch of additional channels that weren't really a factor. The new price is also $82/mo less than we were paying before cutting the cord. The Spectrum streaming only service with broadcast channels, Silver tier, HBO and Showtime, but no DVR would have been only $10 less a month. It didn't seem worth it, to stream given no DVR and potential buffering issues. A year from now we will revisit the same issue after cutting the cord again in December and see if there is a better alternative that suits our needs.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

After cutting the cord 2 months ago, as we departed for our annual 2 month winter sojourn south of the border, we returned earlier this week and after comparing the various streaming options to traditional cable, we plugged back in with Spectrum with new customer pricing. The additional cost over Internet only is $81/mo for the silver package, including DVR, HBO and Showtime and a bunch of additional channels that weren't really a factor. The new price is also $82/mo less than we were paying before cutting the cord. The Spectrum streaming only service with broadcast channels, Silver tier, HBO and Showtime, but no DVR would have been only $10 less a month. It didn't seem worth it, to stream given no DVR and potential buffering issues. A year from now we will revisit the same issue after cutting the cord again in December and see if there is a better alternative that suits our needs.

I did the same with Comcast although not as good as your deal. But ballpark of streaming with PS Vue and all the rest. Contract runs through early part of next year and I will evaluate all options available then.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Is the $81/mo all in; i.e., does it include equipment rental and surcharges?

Yeah, I feel the same - for now.

I'm going to give the new version of the Apple TV app a chance. I had remapped the /TV ICON/ on the remote to take me back to the primary Apple TV interface screen instead into the TV app, but maybe I'll try it the other way for a bit.

The two main apps I use are Netflix and Tablo (I'm giving Tablo a try as a replacement for TiVo since it integrates into the Apple TV and I don't have to switch inputs on the TV any more - so far too good). When these apps are on the top row of the Apple TV's interface, they display their "Up Next" items on the very top of the Apple TV display. Very nice short cuts for getting to the current series I'm watching on Netflix or the last item recorded on the Tablo.

We only have a few Apple TV apps and all appear on one screen. To me that one level works well enough as my aggregator.

Now if Netflix talked to the Apple TV app we might be using it, but I also notice that the Apple TV app or Siri is quick to send you to sources requiring additional payment such as iTunes so it’s annoying.

Last edited:
That’s where cable and satellite are way more expensive here. Their rates sound great, but once you add monthly charges for HD, DVR, multiple receivers, service, taxes, fees, etc. it comes to almost twice as much for our 3 TV household (Dish was up to $96/mo without service, a cheaper channel lineup they don’t offer anymore and 1 SD receiver VS $50/mo for PS Vue). But if you’re single or only use one TV, I could see how cable/satellite might be competitive.

Last edited:
That’s where cable and satellite are way more expensive here. Their rates sound great, but once you add monthly charges for HD, DVR, multiple receivers, service, taxes, fees, etc. it comes to almost twice as much for our 3 TV household (Dish was up to $96/mo without service, a cheaper channel lineup they don’t offer anymore and 1 SD receiver VS $50/mo for PS Vue). But if you’re single or only use one TV, I could see how cable/satellite might be competitive.

This seems like a good time to make sure everyone knows that, thanks to the Telecommunications Act of 1996, all TV providers are required by law to allow you to use a CableCard and your own tuner. Many TVs and most DVRs will come with a built-in digital tuner and a CableCard slot, and the only channels that a CableCard might not be able to fully access are interactive (usually pay-per-view) channels.

I've been using CableCards in my TiVos for over a decade, and they're usually $5/month, less than any utility-provided set-top box I've seen lately. (Plus I like the TiVo interface a lot better, although it's been a while since I've tried a cableco STB.)

+1

My current set-up (including tax/fees):

$61 ... 50/50 Frontier FiOS internet
$48 ... PS Vue "Access"
$12 ... Netflix
----
$121/mo Total

We also have access to Prime video and the PBS Passport library, but I don't generally include those costs ($15/mo) because we do not subscribe specifically for the video access. We also upgrade to PS Vue "Core" during baseball season for access to our regional Fox Sports network, which adds $5/mo for part of the year.

Our local cable company offers internet+TV for an intro-price of $80/mo. I just came from their website where I configured an order. The monthly rate went over $140 after I added STB rental for 3 TVs, one of which had a DVR, a modem, plus broadcast fee and other taxes. I could not find the non-intro price. It just says that "standard rates apply after 1 year." I suppose it would go up to around $175-180. Add in Netflix, and over 3 years, average rate would be ~$180, compared to my current $121.

That's the best comparison I can come up with, which saves us about $60/mo or $720/yr. Perhaps more importantly, we just like the new streaming services better. IMO, the PS Vue interface is far superior to clunky old cable boxes. We like the cloud DVR and the heavy integration between the Fire TV platform and our streaming sources (Netflix, Prime, and PS Vue). We love the voice search and Alexa integration. Free trials, easy switching, portability, more on-demand content, no switching inputs, one small remote that controls everything. I'll stop there.

The $81 is the additional charge over what we had been paying for internet only. Our internet only bill for the 2 months that we were without any cable, was 66.00 The new bill including everything (taxes, fees equipment etc.) is $147.01. Before cutting the cord, we were paying $205, but the bill was set to go up an additional $20 plus taxes as of the end of January.

Another player in the cord cutting arena, TMobile. Def limited geographics currently.

Chicago | Dallas-Fort Worth | Los Angeles | New York City | Philadelphia | San Francisco | Washington D.C. | Longmont, CO

Pricing seems a bit high too. But once 5G hits the big time availability could make cord cutting really total cord cutting.

T-Vision

Said it here before, streaming services are pricing themselves at the level of cable (with a bundle) over time. No one should be surprised pay TV ain't cheap.
Agree, that's why you don't see anyone putting up a fight.

Very excited that YTTV added HGTV and Travel Channel. I was paying for DTV Now just so we could have those 2 channels. I save $65 / mo and add $10, so net/net, I am ahead. Now I just wish my Roku remote was more reliable.

Said it here before, streaming services are pricing themselves at the level of cable (with a bundle) over time. No one should be surprised pay TV ain't cheap.

Very much so. I don't tend to watch too much TV as it is (but DW does watch quite a bit) and would be happy with what I can get on Amazon (w/ Prime subscription) and the occasional purchase of a single series and what's on OTA. All the rest? I can do without 'em.

I think where this went off the rails (which it didn't...consumers may *think* they are smart, but they aren't and the cable/TV folks are *still* going to get a sizable chunk of change for the services) was the "promise" of a la carte pricing. Where you could just purchase the "single" channel you wanted...basically build your own package. Well, as we all know...this doesn't exist. You start with some basic package and then add on other packages to suit your needs. Sounds *very* familiar, doesn't it?

I would really be happy with going back to cable the way it was in the early 80's. You paid for it, but there were many channels that had NO (or very few) commercials. Now, you pay for the "privilege" of watching 14-22 minutes of commercials per broadcast hour. What a deal, eh?!? :cool:

YTTV going to $50 from $35 for me, so this is the last month for me. Between OTA recording, movies from the library, my broker's CNBC feed, and regular YT, YTTV doesn't seem worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom