Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Yeah, I noticed that. But I'm still hopeful for Opening Day.

I'm hoping that MLB fans' anger helps solve the issue of the RSNs on streaming with YTTV or Hulu. Then I can watch the NHL playoffs. The timing this year will be perfect should that happen.

You CAN watch some of last nights Discovery on Discovery+. I don’t have D+ so I don’t know what the exceptions are or how common, do you?

We are going to have to agree to disagree...but the fact remains there are shows on the streaming service that ARE NOT included on the traditional cable/satellite channels. Here is an example article the explains it more than I am (actually there are MANY examples posted there) and one more. I don't wish to detract from the intent of this thread, so I am done talking about this. Last thing I will say...BUYER BEWARE.

It may get pricey for sports fans when their subscription is longer subsidized by the hordes of people who rarely watch sports but help pay for it through their giant cable package.
+1, a really good point I hadn't thought of. I probably wouldn't pony up for anything but the NFL and the PGA, I can live without most of the rest. I do wonder what will happen to lesser sports and international though.

We are going to have to agree to disagree...but the fact remains there are shows on the streaming service that ARE NOT included on the traditional cable/satellite channels. Here is an example article the explains it more than I am (actually there are MANY examples posted there) and one more. I don't wish to detract from the intent of this thread, so I am done talking about this. Last thing I will say...BUYER BEWARE.

In the last six months I have seen this increasing with the spinoff of Peacock and the like. The on demand feature of some streaming services has been dramatically reduced as well. I for one feel that the golden age of streaming is in the past AFA what we can see and the price we pay.

+1, a really good point I hadn't thought of. I probably wouldn't pony up for anything but the NFL and the PGA, I can live without most of the rest. I do wonder what will happen to lesser sports and international though.
I have OTA and whatever I can watch for free online (such as with my Xfinity Flex box). NFL is the only sport I watch now, and if I have to start paying for it someday, that will be the excuse I need to finally stop watching.

Agree.

The rumor is that the RSNs cost about $5 to $6 per subscriber to the cable/streaming providers.

I would gladly pay $12 for a specific access to the RSN only.

But you read that even at that rate, the numbers don't work. ESPN and RSNs rely on the fact that many subscribers never turn on sports. All those news-only people are subsidizing the sports nuts. It is kind of an insane model...

DS and I were just having this conversation a few days ago. As a standalone streaming service, he thinks it will cost $35-40/mo for access to a specific RSN or team/season. I don't think it's quite that high.

But I also don't think the numbers work at your $12 figure. Assuming the $6 rumor is correct, $12 requires that half the cable subscribers move over and stay subscribed all year. Just a swag, but I'd guess that maybe 35% of cable subscribers move over and they stay for about 60% of the year. That's $28/mo to generate the same revenue.

I might be willing to pay that for access to my local MLB team's entire season. Then I'd cancel. And of course, I'd still be watching commercials during each broadcast. So, the gravy train steams ahead.

You said there were shows on Discovery that weren’t on Plus, now you’re claiming the opposite, whatever. Hundreds of millions of buyers get it, now maybe you do too...

But I also don't think the numbers work at your $12 figure. Assuming the $6 rumor is correct, $12 requires that half the cable subscribers move over and stay subscribed all year. Just a swag, but I'd guess that maybe 35% of cable subscribers move over and they stay for about 60% of the year. That's $28/mo to generate the same revenue.

I agree that $12 doesn't work. I just said I would be comfortable with that number and go all in. Mr. Sinclair certainly won't be.

I think your SWAG analysis is spot on.

So where is my no-return pain point? Probably $20. I won't go above. And I'll probably cut the season short too, i.e. join in mid season and end when my team is out of the playoffs.

Just got back from turning in my box to Spectrum. I had a reservation and was in and out in less than 5 minutes. I was able to confirm that if I come back in 31 days the price will be $128 including tax for Spectrum Select(125 channels) with DVR plus 100 mbps internet. Bundled internet with cable is $44.99/mo. Unbundled it is $74.99/mo - $30 bucks more.

Just FYI, we also now have Spectrum internet (just internet, TV) in Northern Ohio. We're paying $69.99 actual cost.

They provide a cable modem (no additional month fee or I'd provide my own). They call it Internet Ultra which is supposedly 400 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up - We usually get slightly fast speeds, but occasionally slower. It's plenty for our needs. Speedtest.com history tells me that the faster has been 478/23 Mbps up/down.

Oh, it's for unlimited bandwidth too.

My recollection is that there is a cheaper tier available and a higher one. This one seemed like the sweet spot to us as the cheaper one wasn't much cheaper and the faster one was substantially more.

Just FYI, we also now have Spectrum internet (just internet, TV) in Northern Ohio. We're paying $69.99 actual cost.

They provide a cable modem (no additional month fee or I'd provide my own). They call it Internet Ultra which is supposedly 400 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up - We usually get slightly fast speeds, but occasionally slower. It's plenty for our needs. Speedtest.com history tells me that the faster has been 478/23 Mbps up/down.

Oh, it's for unlimited bandwidth too.

My recollection is that there is a cheaper tier available and a higher one. This one seemed like the sweet spot to us as the cheaper one wasn't much cheaper and the faster one was substantially more.
Good for you. I'd imagine you are in a more competitive market, thus higher speed plus lower cost. We suffer from being in a smaller demographic market with zero alternatives for fiber internet.

We have 75 Mbps fios service, one step up from the 25 Mbps minimum plan that is $20 less per month. There are only two of us but we are frequently both simultaneously streaming and/or online with multiple devices. I am concerned we might have issues with the 25 plan and willing to spend the extra $ so we don't have to worry about buffering. If a 35 Mbps plan was offered I think that would work for us.

We switched to T-Mobile internet about 6 weeks ago for $50 per month. Spectrum had raised their price to $74.99. I just checked the speed with speedtest.net and it was 67 Mpbs download/42 Mbps upload. When I've checked during the day, the speed is at least 25 Mbps download and often higher upload speed. I know it's odd for upload to be higher than download but that's what I see. I have to reset the Nokia gateway once a week, it seems, to keep everything running smoothly. We get buffering 2-3 times a week but it lasts only 15-20 seconds. Two streaming TV's, a tablet, and a computer are the max load (other than Alexas, light bulbs, thermostats, and a Ring security system) we put on the system.

A Spectrum sales person actually stopped by yesterday to convince us to come back. I told her I wouldn't do business with them again even if it was free! If the T-Mobile service crashes for some reason, I'll have to go back to Spectrum because there is not other option in my neighborhood but, for now, I am paying the local cable company $0 per month for the first time in 40(?) years (Spectrum for the last 5 years).

You said there were shows on Discovery that weren’t on Plus, now you’re claiming the opposite, whatever. Hundreds of millions of buyers get it, now maybe you do too...

I am not claiming the opposite...it goes both ways. Did you read the articles I posted? I assume not. So let me try and make this abundantly CLEAR (and then this thread is going on ignore). :)

1. Some shows on traditional subscription plans (Satellite and/or Cable) are NOT available on Discovery+ or Peacock+.

2. Some shows streamed on Discovery+ or Peacock+ are NOT available on traditional subscription (Satellite and/or Cable) plans.

I am not claiming the opposite...it goes both ways. Did you read the articles I posted? I assume not. So let me try and make this abundantly CLEAR (and then this thread is going on ignore). :)

1. Some shows on traditional subscription plans (Satellite and/or Cable) are NOT available on Discovery+ or Peacock+.

2. Some shows streamed on Discovery+ or Peacock+ are NOT available on traditional subscription (Satellite and/or Cable) plans.
I think you guys just had a misunderstanding.

In any case, I'm trialing D+ in consideration of replacing Philo. Philo has the Discovery networks linear feeds, which mirror cable.

So let me give some examples of the 2 points ExFlyBoy5 brings up specific to Discovery.

1. Traditional Cable shows NOT on D+:

- 90 Day Fiance. Oh, this is clever and evil on their part. Like it or not, 90DF is Discovery's most popular franchise. So they don't put it on D+ and leave it on traditional linear. What they have on D+ is a continuous stream of episodes playing on a "channel." Much like PlutoTV. You get what is on, which could be recent, or 5 years old. No way to select. No pause, no rewind, no control.
- All MotorTrend shows. MT is in the Discovery family, but apparently with some input from a partner, so no go on D+.
- I'm sure there are more, but I don't watch that stuff.

2. Shows on D+ NOT on Traditional Cable:
- Battlebots Bounty Hunters. A whole set of fights of the most popular robots.
- 90 Day Fiance Bares All and/or Pillow Talk: "bares all" is new, and edgier, "Pillow Talk" used to be on Traditional and was ripped off and put on D+ only.
- Anything Dr. Pimple Popper. Massive pus blobs have moved to streaming only.
- Newest episodes of many Discovery ID programs. Unsure when they'll show on Traditional linear, although I've seen one or two come on. Apparently they are dropping to D+ first. This is a kind of turn-about from the old model of showing on cable first then dropping to streaming.

Basically, Discovery is doing their best to bifurcate the content to encourage you to get both. Argghh!

In my case, I like a lot of Science Channel shows, and most are on D+. They even have the latest episodes of their little show on the Mars Perseverance program. I cannot believe it, but Battlebots is on D+. And D+ has the exclusive extra.

What I'd be missing is MotorTrend content. I like some of the stuff there. Dropping Philo would also have me drop the History channel stuff, which is not a Discovery property. I like Curse of Oak Island, but it is old watching guys drill for gold and find nothing but wood. I can let it go. History channel just restarted Modern Marvels after many years gone, so it would be a bummer to lose it.

I have to continue my trial. So what I'm thinking is dropping Philo for a while and going to D+, and maybe flip flopping later to get my MotorTrend content.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a problem with Firestick getting too hot slowing down and then not streaming again until you let it cool off?
I'm not sure if this one is first or second generation.

Has anyone had a problem with Firestick getting too hot slowing down and then not streaming again until you let it cool off?
How long was it going, is it in the sun a lot or over a heat vent, or is it pressed up against a wall? Pretty sure mine aren't 1st gen, but a couple are 2nd gen and I'm sure I had some going for 10-11 hours straight during football season this fall. Never saw anything like this. The few times I have had any problems I either reset the fire stick through the menus, or disconnected it from power and plugged it right back in, and it worked fine.

How long was it going, is it in the sun a lot or over a heat vent, or is it pressed up against a wall? Pretty sure mine aren't 1st gen, but a couple are 2nd gen and I'm sure I had some going for 10-11 hours straight during football season this fall. Never saw anything like this. The few times I have had any problems I either reset the fire stick through the menus, or disconnected it from power and plugged it right back in, and it worked fine.

Nope, not in the sun, in fact it happens in the evening. It is hanging in free air. Wife has been streaming a series for two or three hours a night, it has not been a problem, until just recently.
We'll see how it goes tonight, I just finished mounting it in a pill container with a fan at one end. If heat is the real problem, this should cure it. She will let me know within 3 hours. :)
If it doesn't work, I'll wait for a sale and upgrade, I have two more Firesticks I can swap around.

EDIT:
It is more than just heat, when I compared it cold to another firestick it is more slower to operate. And gives up over a short time. Time for a new one.

Attachments

• Firestick cooling.jpg
    Firestick cooling.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I had a problem with my old Firestick overheating. I had to use the HDMI extender and the separate power from the wall. After that no overheating.

Yes. Had to reboot it frequently. Ended up tossing it in the trash and buying a Roku... no problems since (though only been 6 months)

I had a problem with my old Firestick overheating. I had to use the HDMI extender and the separate power from the wall. After that no overheating.

Getting the free HDMI extender from Roku solved the overheating problem for ours when running Prime, so it's not just a Fire stick problem. Apparently a lot of these sticks don't have the cajones to run the bloated apps well, and a lot of apps are not written well anyway.

DS gave us his old Firestick. It still works great. We use it as our travel streaming device because it works with our Tablo - specifically their feature that allows you to stream remotely. Roku works with Tablo inside our network but does not stream Tablo remotely.

Anyhow, we have 7 Roku's in the house. They all work great. All are at least 2 years old. Most are 4 or more years old. Looked at the specs on the new ones. Although the new ones are cheap, I do not see any reason for buying new ones.

You?

Took the first steps towards cutting the cord today. Ordered a modem, 2 Rokus and Ooma service for my landline. I’m excited to join the money saving community of cord cutters and finally saying good bye to cable :)

DS gave us his old Firestick. It still works great. We use it as our travel streaming device because it works with our Tablo - specifically their feature that allows you to stream remotely. Roku works with Tablo inside our network but does not stream Tablo remotely.

Anyhow, we have 7 Roku's in the house. They all work great. All are at least 2 years old. Most are 4 or more years old. Looked at the specs on the new ones. Although the new ones are cheap, I do not see any reason for buying new ones.

You?
The new Roku's have volume on the remote, vs having to use a different device to adjust sound and the new devices accommodate voice control, sort of like Alexa. We have 5 Roku's, 2 of which are the newer version. We haven't bothered to upgrade the 3 older units.

The new Roku's have volume on the remote, vs having to use a different device to adjust sound and the new devices accommodate voice control, sort of like Alexa. We have 5 Roku's, 2 of which are the newer version. We haven't bothered to upgrade the 3 older units.
And some have a mute button. Look for a model with the mute, especially during election season.

Back
Top Bottom