Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Family Use of YouTubeTV

Family members do not necessarily have to live in the same area to share YouTubeTV. We use 1 YouTubeTV subscription to cover our 2 homes in WI (75 miles apart) and our son uses it in MN. The key is there is only one account owner. The other users must sign into YouTubeTV on the account owner's network at least once every 3 months to continue using the service. Our son visits frequently enough that he is able to meet this requirement. We have been doing this for several years.

How did you manage that? The price we have is what's shown on AT&T's website: $80/mo for Fiber 1gb service. Every promo we've received in the 3+ years we've had AT&T service has discounted their U-verse TV service only.
AT&T has legit competition where we live, that always makes a difference. We got a promo rate in year 1, and again in year 2 for 1000mbps Fiber. If they won't do the promo next year (up in Jul), we'll go to their competitor or drop to 300mbps Fiber. And another reason we've avoided having internet and TV bundled, they get you sooner or later that way...

Family members do not necessarily have to live in the same area to share YouTubeTV. We use 1 YouTubeTV subscription to cover our 2 homes in WI (75 miles apart) and our son uses it in MN. The key is there is only one account owner. The other users must sign into YouTubeTV on the account owner's network at least once every 3 months to continue using the service. Our son visits frequently enough that he is able to meet this requirement. We have been doing this for several years.

I don't think your son actually has to be there to meet the requirement. You can just switch over to his user profile on your YTTV periodically. I did that for a couple years when we shared YTTV with my MIL. AFAIK, she never signed in to anything over here. We just watched on her profile from time to time.

This is from the YTTV website (bold is mine):

Location requirements work the same if you're sharing your YouTube TV membership with a family group. The family manager sets the home area, and each family member must primarily live in the same household.

Family group members need to periodically use YouTube TV in your home location to keep access. Otherwise, the family manager will have to change the home location. If the family manager can't change the home location, family group members will need to get an individual membership.

Joined the cord cutting group again yesterday. Tried it 4 to 5 years ago but it's so much better now. Trying out YouTubeTV now and it offers a lot more than what I had with cable. Comcast popped me with a 40% increase so that was the last straw. Still have internet with them for now but my overall cost is $30/mo lower than what I was paying before the rate hike. So a no-brainer for me. Fiber optic cable was just installed by our local power company so there will be more options for internet in the near future. :)

Last post reminded me that I never provided an update after learning so much from this thread…. As of earlier this year, Google fiber finally became available to us and I made the switch.
Based on a lot of info from this discussion, I ended up with the following setup that suits our needs very well
1. OTA antenna (installed upstairs for better reception), using Recast as a streaming device/DVR. I added a 2 Gb hard drive to the recast box, so I have almost unlimited DVR storage.
2. Netflix, Britbox, Amazon Prime, PBS Plus subscriptions. HULU subscription currently suspended due to lack of use.

Because of Recast, I had to settle with running everything through FireStick. I prefer Roku, but I didn’t want multiple remotes.
Overall, I’m highly satisfied and saving some money, compared to the Spectrum internet/TV package.
A couple of annoyances I noticed:
- Recast will “gum up” every so often (maybe once or twice a month) to where the DVR functions (delete shows, retrieve shows, etc) quit working properly. Solved easily by pulling the power to the Recast box and rebooting. Not the end of the world but it would be a pain if the Recast box were located, say, in the attic.

- Every so often, I do miss the cable news networks but it is becoming less and less frequent. A much easier transition that I expected
- OTA reception is a bit limited at our location (used to only be able to pull in local PBS station) but we do get about 25 stations now, so that is plenty for us

- Every so often, I do miss the cable news networks but it is becoming less and less frequent. A much easier transition that I expected
- OTA reception is a bit limited at our location (used to only be able to pull in local PBS station) but we do get about 25 stations now, so that is plenty for us

I thought I got a lot of OTA stations when I got 29 with some repeats.
Then I put up a simple DIY antenna at my daughters house and they got 74 stations. The live in a good area for lots of TV stations. Tampa,

St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Lakeland, Bradenton Venice and Clearwater stations all available.
If I want to see cable news networks, I use ustvgo.tv some feel it doesn't fit within their ethics.

If I want to see cable news networks, I use ustvgo.tv some feel it doesn't fit within their ethics.

I see they have a lot of channels to stream. What are they doing that is ethically challenged?

My Recast survived its first cold Wisconsin winter in the attic. I've had to reconnect it to the wireless router a few times. It isn't exactly convenient, but it's a small price to pay for ota and a dvr that's done pretty much what I want it to do. I sometimes get a message of "low video quality" and to redirect my antenna, but the video quality has been fine for us. There's only so much moving around of the antenna that I can do in the attic. We enjoy buzzing through the commercials for the couple of shows that we watch and having local live news available.

...- Recast will “gum up” every so often (maybe once or twice a month) to where the DVR functions (delete shows, retrieve shows, etc) quit working properly. Solved easily by pulling the power to the Recast box and rebooting. Not the end of the world but it would be a pain if the Recast box were located, say, in the attic. ..

We have a similar setup to yours at our summer home except our OTA antenna, signal booster and Recast are all located in the attic.

When the Recast gets gummy I restart it through the the Fire TV stick.

To restart Fire TV Recast from the Fire TV device menu:
  1. Go to Settings.
  2. Select Live TV > Live TV Sources.
  3. Next, select Fire TV Recast, and then Restart. The Fire TV Recast LED turns blue as the device restarts.

Quote:
To restart Fire TV Recast from the Fire TV device menu:
Go to Settings.
Select Live TV > Live TV Sources.
Next, select Fire TV Recast, and then Restart. The Fire TV Recast LED turns blue as the device restarts.

Nice - thanks!

Try 'Pluto TV'. It is free and has hundreds of shows from the 1950's onward. They have ads but not as many as regular tv. Get the app which may already be on your cell phone or tablet. I use a Roku box and installed Pluto and watch it on my tv after switching to the HDMI port using the Roku remote.

Pluto TV
https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/pluto-tv-action

Get the app. Also look at the Roku players like Roku Ultra which is what I use.
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/0719d122fc30b9f282fa106a903ab1d6/pluto-tv-its-free-tv

My TV watching has a routine.
Mornings are streaming local TV KTLA then switch to the antenna for Decades Channel
Pluto TV streaming most of the afternoon on the Britbox Channel (limited version)
Evenings streaming British shows on Hulu
I only actually watch it for about 3 hours at night but it's background noise in the daytime.

I see they have a lot of channels to stream. What are they doing that is ethically challenged?

I don't really understand it, it is probably legal to watch, but it is not legal for the provider to take this programming and rebroadcast it. Not a lawyer only my opinion.

BTW, it works on a phone also, kinda cool to be able to watch anywhere there is a phone signal.

I'd be willing to send $2 a month each, to the couple of channels I watch, but I don't want to spend $100 a month for 50+ channels I don't watch.

I'd be willing to send $2 a month each, to the couple of channels I watch, but I don't want to spend $100 a month for 50+ channels I don't watch.

Our cable company (Spectrum) used to offer a package where you got local channels and then you selected 10 channels from a list (not exactly any channel they offered). We had that for awhile and I liked it. But then they offered me a great deal on a full package and I bit - and got bit. After the year was up, the old package was no longer available.

Then, the way they bundle is a pain. If I cancel my TV, then the internet only will run $70. I'm just over $100 per month now so it's just barely worth it to consider, especially if I buy an extra streaming service.

They know how to play the game.

Our cable company (Spectrum) used to offer a package where you got local channels and then you selected 10 channels from a list (not exactly any channel they offered). We had that for awhile and I liked it. But then they offered me a great deal on a full package and I bit - and got bit. After the year was up, the old package was no longer available.

Then, the way they bundle is a pain. If I cancel my TV, then the internet only will run $70. I'm just over $100 per month now so it's just barely worth it to consider, especially if I buy an extra streaming service.

They know how to play the game.

I have WOW and Comcast competing for customers, I pay $35, I have friends at $29 for 200MB internet service. I have a high speed fiber AT&T running across 125ft of my property 50ft from my house, but they have yet to run it into our neighborhood. It's been several years.

78 OTA channels, none that I want to watch. :LOL:
How is that even possible?
Cable is 500 channels that are worthless.

78 OTA channels, none that I want to watch. :LOL:
How is that even possible?
Cable is 500 channels that are worthless.

I have an OTA antenna mostly for when the internet goes out. There are basically two channels I watch. The local ABC channel for local news/weather and the PBS station for the DIY/cooking type shows.

As for cable, there are only a few channels I watch - maybe 5?

I have way more computer screentime, that includes more time on Youtube videos than TV time.

Some best friends finally got sick of cable when their monthly Comcast bill just went well over $200. He got so mad he just disconnected all their equipment and dropped it off at their local Comcast office - he said there were more than a dozen other people there with their equipment in hand. So we’re talking them through their hardware and software options, we cut the cord in Feb 2018 and they’ve been curious all along but their $/month BS threshold was a lot higher than ours - we said enough when our bill hit $96/month…

Last edited:
Have been a cord cutter since 2014, at least. Was paying $197 per month (before dropping cable) plus Netflix and Amazon Prime. Bought about $500 of hardware - A Tablo and 2 antennae for my attic. Have 70 plus OTA channels, but only record about 30 due to duplicates and signal quality. Spectrum charges me $88 for internet and phone. Netflix has gone up. I figure that I am saving about $100 per month. Savings are the prime reason for cutting the cord, but emotionally I am not happy with all of the extra charges the cable company comes up with. "Local broadcast surcharge" has gone from about $3.99 to about $21.99 a month. Don't forget per cable box charges of $10 a month. Not good when you have 5 TVs.

I will check out various streaming services until we have watched all we care to. Acorn was $4 a month. Now, Britbox is about $5 a month. Verizon gave us Disney + for a year. I think I get Discover + for free for a few more months. Watched all of Hoopla (free through library) that I care to watch.

During NFL playoffs, I indulge and get cable for one month. During March Madness, I also signed up for Spectrum's streaming package. Total bill goes from $88 to $135. Will drop next Tuesday (after national championship).

When I get cable for a month (twice a year), I catch up on all the "On Demand" things they have. Please note that I can use my Spectrum credentials to access content using various networks' Roku channels. The Spectrum "On Demand" differs from the "On Demand" I can access using a network's Roku channel. For example, using the History Channel's Roku channel, I can access 166 episodes of Ancient Aliens. On Spectrum, I have 10 from the current season plus a few others that will become available over the next few weeks.

I watch "Snapped". On the Spectrum channel, I have much of the last 5 seasons (about 100 episodes). On the Oxygen channel, I can watch the current season of maybe 30 episodes. On the Peacock Roku channel, I can watch over 300 episodes. All using my Spectrum credentials which I will give up in a few days.

A few more random observations: Cable news in all its forms is not good for me. I love the old "film noir" genre films that I can record on Tablo. Britbox seems to have tons of great content so it will be a while before we give it up. DW is happy with the hunky & sensitive Dr's and h&s firemen and h&s policemen that she has recorded on Tablo.

Last edited:
When the Recast gets gummy I restart it through the Fire TV stick.

With Fire TV Cube the procedure is:

Settings/Live TV/Sync Sources/ Fire TV Recast/ Restart.

This is also, among other things, where you scan for available channels.

- Recast will “gum up” every so often (maybe once or twice a month) to where the DVR functions (delete shows, retrieve shows, etc) quit working properly. Solved easily by pulling the power to the Recast box and rebooting. Not the end of the world but it would be a pain if the Recast box were located, say, in the attic.

My Recast is in the attic. Sometimes the "gumming up" isn't something that can be resolved from my fire cube, and it seems to happen periodically.

So I have a smarthome-controllable plug up there and a simple routine that automatically powers off the Recast in the wee hours of the morning every N days or so (3 maybe?), waits a minute, then turns the power back on. I've been happier with the Recast --- or at least less unhappy --- since I set that up.

I'm confident that at some point I'll replace the Recast; it's never felt really finished, nor do I guess that it's something that Amazon believes in or is working on. But for now, it will do.

Back
Top Bottom