Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

what i like about peacock is the live golf coverage. You basically get all the live coverage of the golf channel.

Johnny-Carson-Did-Not-Know.jpg

Yesterday, I really cut the cord. Literally. As in, a wire with two endings . Fiber buried 2 inches does not mix with a blade cultivator.

So, we watched OTA only last night and ran into a nice Carol Burnett tribute we may not have seen otherwise. I'm also catching up on some Tablo recording. I forgot about the joy of being forced to a limited view choice. Of course, many times it is not joy, but pain.

My bigger issue is discovering just how tied I am to the internet. This post comes to you via LTE. It's okay, but I miss my computer and fast speeds.

Yesterday, I really cut the cord. Literally. As in, a wire with two endings . Fiber buried 2 inches does not mix with a blade cultivator.
Lawn aeration cut our internet fiber last year. Like you life changes a lot without internet. Supposed to be 6-8" down but more like 2". :mad:

Back in 1982 when we bought our first house, I immediately put in a fence for our dogs. Rented a post hole digger, and when I was digging the back corner post I took cable out for four houses - young & stupid. Not a good way to meet the new neighbors...:facepalm:

So, we watched OTA only last night and ran into a nice Carol Burnett tribute we may not have seen otherwise. I'm also catching up on some Tablo recording. I forgot about the joy of being forced to a limited view choice. Of course, many times it is not joy, but pain.

My bigger issue is discovering just how tied I am to the internet. This post comes to you via LTE. It's okay, but I miss my computer and fast speeds.

They make cable with multiple fiber pairs in armored conduit.

I read of one farmer who trenched the above from the cable drop on the main road a kilometer back to his farmhouse.

I had a critter eat through my cable line. Didn’t know where the break was in the 800’ line. Comcast gave me new cable and I trenched and buried it - they wouldn’t do it.

I had a critter eat through my cable line. Didn’t know where the break was in the 800’ line. Comcast gave me new cable and I trenched and buried it - they wouldn’t do it.

Wow, that would have ticked me off big time. I would have been fighting back from losing it with their tech department. "How did it get into the ground to begin with?" would have been my opening salvo.

Knowing they've got a special digging tool just for this purpose and they wouldn't send someone out with it would really frost me.

Speaking of Comcast.....I turned in a streaming box today and terminated service with them. Yay! Using a fiber optic service with my power company.

PB, have you looked at Rabbitears with the pin on your home in Vermont,
to see what channel PBS is broadcast on, (VHF or UHF)and what direction it is in comparison to your other channels?
In my location, most of the channels are congregated in the N to NE direction with my PBS station located to my NW. If the antenna is too directional it will miss the NW PBS channel while getting all the N and NE channels.

I can split the difference and point my antenna North to get all the channels.
Radio frequency reception is a bit of a hobby with me, so I'm curious. :)

Just for fun I rescanned my TV, I picked up an unknown station, a little research and I found it is 109 miles away! 2 minutes later it is gone. :)

I think it was SWR who was having trouble getting PBS, not me. In Vermont I get all the majors except Fox and they all broadcast from the same towers but the Fox broadcast strength is insufficient.

Funny thing happened last summer. All of a sudden I stopped getting NBC. I went to the station's website and did the "contact us" for the engineering department, explained the situation and asked if they happened to be broadcasting at reduced power. I got a response a day later that they were at reduced power for a few weeks for maintenance.

There exists no armor here. :) My blade cultivator did a great job on skinning it.

Tech just came and replaced the drop in 15 min. Nice guy, had a lot of jokes and a lot of fun things to say about the guys who bury these lines. Keeps him in a job.

Attachments

• fibre.jpg
    fibre.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 26
Wow, that would have ticked me off big time. I would have been fighting back from losing it with their tech department. "How did it get into the ground to begin with?" would have been my opening salvo.

Knowing they've got a special digging tool just for this purpose and they wouldn't send someone out with it would really frost me.

Comcast didn’t bury the first line either. Logical route was along my driveway, but I didn’t want it buried along my driveway because of utility and sprinkler conflicts, so I wanted it run through the woods. I buried parts of the first line next to the house, but left it on the ground meandering through the woods. The trees are too close together for a trencher to go through anyway. I hand trenched and buried the 2nd line.

The newly integrated Max is now available. Formerly HBO Max and Discovery Plus. There’s a new Max app with all the combined content.

There is no list of Discovery Plus programming available on Max, one has to search each title. It looks like a fair amount of Discovery Plus is now on Max, but definitely not everything, but I only looked over Food Network. It’s enough for us. We get HBO through our HOA so we’ll drop Discovery + and probably subscribe to PBS, Acorn or BritBox.

There is no list of Discovery Plus programming available on Max, one has to search each title. It looks like a fair amount of Discovery Plus is now on Max, but definitely not everything, but I only looked over Food Network. It’s enough for us. We get HBO through our HOA so we’ll drop Discovery + and probably subscribe to PBS, Acorn or BritBox.
Max is missing (at least) the History Channel, the Science Channel, Animal Planet, and Destination America from Discovery+. The first two are popular in our household, along with a couple other Discovery+ channels that did make it to Max.

Disappointing, but no surprise. There were a lot of mixed messages about what from Discovery+ would make it into Max. Seems the initial comments several months ago about limited content appears to be correct.

Last edited:
The newly integrated Max is now available. Formerly HBO Max and Discovery Plus. There’s a new Max app with all the combined content.

The deal ends today for Acorn for $1.99 and Britbox for 99c for the first 2 months from the Roku channel if interested.

https://www.roku.com/whats-on/the-roku-channel/offers/streaming-day-99-promo

Max is missing (at least) the History Channel, the Science Channel, Animal Planet, and Destination America from Discovery+. The first two are popular in our household, along with a couple other Discovery+ channels that did make it to Max.

Disappointing, but no surprise. There were a lot of mixed messages about what from Discovery+ would make it into Max. Seems the initial comments several months ago about limited content appears to be correct.

I don't use channels on D+, but rather shows.

My eclectic essentials are:
- Battlebots
- How the Universe Works
- What on Earth
- See No Evil
- Evil Lives Here
- 90 Day Fiance crap (guilty pleasure, do not judge me!)

All are included. Therefore, I'm done with Discovery+

We just cut the cord to Xfinity. Verizon 5G is now available in our area so we FINALLY have a competitive option!!

Obtained the Verizon router and found the best spot in our house for signal. It's been working fantastic!!! Finally, we have decent picture quality on our smartTV!

We already had an antenna so no issues there for OTA reception.

I purchased a Roku streaming stick so the search process would be easier - love having voice control.

We are saving so much money with incredible picture quality to boot.

Couldn't be happier about finally being able to cut the cord!

I don't use channels on D+, but rather shows.

My eclectic essentials are:
- Battlebots
- How the Universe Works
- What on Earth
- See No Evil
- Evil Lives Here
- 90 Day Fiance crap (guilty pleasure, do not judge me!)

All are included. Therefore, I'm done with Discovery+
My DW had the opposite problem. Some of her favorite shows (and channels) moved over to Max, but specifically with the History and Science channels, she's missing several shows she would like to have on demand.

In a way, we were getting greedy. We received HBO Max for free with AT&T 1GB Internet (grandfathered), and we were hoping to add our favorite Discovery+ channels via Max.

This would be less of an issue if we were able to stream shows from the direct Discovery family websites (discovery.com, history.com, sciencechannel.com, etc.). But Sling TV is one of the few streaming services that doesn't qualify as a provider in order to stream from the Discovery family websites.

Back
Top Bottom