Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

If anyone is thinking about trying an antenna in their location, I bought an indoor one on Temu for less than $5 including the amplifier. I actually just ordered another one as a spare, it's tiny, I think 4 x 8" and I taped it on the window in the general direction of the translator tower about 30 miles away and it's pulling in 50 channels, most of them are local but I do get ABC 7.1/2/3, NBC4, KCOP13, Fox11 and sometime PBS rebroadcast from Los Angeles. I'm in the California high desert and actually have a outdoor antenna sitting unused in the closet. The guy that was supposed to install it pre Covid still keeps stalling and since I don't expect to get any more channels than I do now I just haven't bothered to find someone else to install it. I have an indoor antenna on each TV, the only downside to them is they tend to deteriorate after a few years of the hot sun hitting the plastic. The original ones I bought on Amazon are now starting to crack and bend so the $5 one was a replacement. They also sell these on Amazon at a higher price of course. I don't watch sports but there seems to a ton of them on the networks that I get.

https://www.temu.com/2023-latest-tv...-cable-360--reception-g-601099530137462.html?

We just got fiber in our area, I took 250mbps up/down to try it and I am convinced it is faster overall from a connection perspective and no different in performance than my 900mbps from Xfinity. I probably DL 3 - 5 Tb of data a month so I consider myself a heavy user. I fired Xfinity a day after installing fiber. I have not noticed any different in connections and I have 25 devices on my network, 11 of which are hard wired with cat8 and the others are wireless.

The only streaming I do is from free services like PBS, Bloomberg, YouTube, our local TV station. I use online free services for MSNBC, CNN, The Weather Channel and others that I Mirror cast to my TV as needed.

Maybe if you have 100 or so simultaneous devices you may need higher speeds. Very happy so far, as is my wallet. I think a lot of folks get sold a bill of goods to justify super-fast internet when they really only need a slower connection. I know a few folks that have 1gb internet for less connections than me. All it gives them IMHO is bragging rights. :)
Well, the number of devices isn't so meaningful as the amount of bandwidth the devices use. Some devices just trickle a little traffic most or all of the time. One computer downloading dozens of movies and series from a movie club can use more bandwidth than a hundred other devices.

I had 25 Mbps service and upgraded to 50 Mbps and then to 75 Mbps (actually get about 90 Mbps tested). I don't do 4K, and my highest bandwidth usage is a combination of downloading on a PC while streaming on one TV, but I could probably still get by with 25 Mbps service, yet I did notice less hesitation in the streaming interface at 50 Mbps if I was downloading on the PC at the same time, and my 75 Mbps (tested at ~90 Mbps) is certainly more than enough. My other internet devices, like wireless controlled outlets, wireless bulbs, use a tiny fraction of what the PC downloads and streaming use.

It looks like you download about over 20X what I do. No wonder you have so much storage.

Last edited:
Prices for streaming services so I can get March Madness. In my area to get all of the stations I want: $77 (rounded) for Hulu+Live.

Sling Orange and Blue is $27.50 for the first month (half off), plus I need Sports Extra ($11) to get ESPN News. Apparently some of the games are on ESPN News. Total $38.50.

Direct TV $100 a month.

Local Cable provider is Spectrum - $65 for Select, plus $7 for Sports Extra (ESPN News), plus $23 local broadcast surcharge = $95.

YouTube TV is $73. There is a discount for some period but the fine print is too lengthy to ponder, at this point.

Fubo does not have TBS, TNT and TruTV. I think it would be $60 for a trial period, but without those channels:confused:

Philo does not have most of the channels.

Looks like Sling Orange and Blue with the Sports Extra is the winner. But, I will not sign up until next weekend as only the first month is discounted.
You could save a lot of time and money by just watching the highlights on Youtube, and watch what you can live with an antenna for free.

A question for Sling users (and maybe others):

Outside of a Roku or a Fire Stick, what other device(s) works well streaming Sling and other services?

Outside of a Roku or a Fire Stick, what other device(s) works well streaming Sling and other services?

Google Chromecast with Google TV, Apple TV 4K, and the onn (Walmart) 4K Google TV streaming box should all do a good job with any of the streaming services.

The top models of Roku, of Fire Stick and Apple TV 4K are considered to be the best devices, at least from what I have read. However the Google Chromecast ($40) and Walmart onn ($20) streamers also apparently do a decent job, especially considering their relative bargain prices.

Has anyone downloaded the Roku app on their Firestick? Is it as good as this article portrays?

I have a Fire TV Cube and the ROKU App delivers everything the article says.

I had never opened it before but gave it a run-through. It is something that I, personally, am not interested in.

BUT! I found that it should be called "Over the Air TV with 'On Demand.'" For someone looking for "free" TV with thousands of things to watch (including news), this fits the bill to a "T." All you need is Internet access instead of an antennae.

See also: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

We've had the the Roku channel app on our Fire TV Cube for many years. Don't use it very much. It's just another ad-supported streaming service, full of mostly older movies and TV shows, plus a few forgettable originals. Very similar to Freevee (formerly IMDB TV) in the Prime ecosystem. Also similar to Tubi, Pluto, and Crackle. If you're interested in that kind on content, and don't mind the ads, you might want to give them all a try.

We've had the the Roku channel app on our Fire TV Cube for many years. Don't use it very much. It's just another ad-supported streaming service, full of mostly older movies and TV shows, plus a few forgettable originals. Very similar to Freevee (formerly IMDB TV) in the Prime ecosystem. Also similar to Tubi, Pluto, and Crackle. If you're interested in that kind on content, and don't mind the ads, you might want to give them all a try.
About the only thing I ever watch on those LiveTV streaming channels is news channels, and just short term usually. But I have been watching House on the Roku channel on-demand. But it's not the same as over the air - it doesn't have the major broadcast channels I get with OTA and doesn't allow me to DVR LiveTV. Apparently Sling has a limited DVR for their free streaming channels.

The Downfall of Streaming TV

The cord cutting revolution is over, and it looks like we lost. And while the Golden Age of TV has been a fun ride, capitalism, being what it is, will almost certainly call an end to all of it.

I enjoyed this video and thought I'd share it here. Not sure I'm quite that pessimistic. But I have noticed a definite trend toward more ads, longer ads, ads inserted into new places, ads that pretend to be streaming content, etc. And everybody wants to be paid to remove the ads, or to offer basic features like 4K or surround sound. I've also noticed a big slowdown in the production of high-quality originals.

Anyway, we pay roughly $160/mo for YTTV plus gigbit fiber internet. Another $20-30/mo or so for a few streaming services that are constantly rotating in and out of the line-up. It's still less than our old cable triple-play (dropped in 2013), but not by much. So yeah... maybe we have come full circle.

https://youtu.be/fq_XeZyp1QY?si=uS_aGJjoiZJfsv03

I enjoyed this video and thought I'd share it here. Not sure I'm quite that pessimistic. But I have noticed a definite trend toward more ads, longer ads, ads inserted into new places, ads that pretend to be streaming content, etc. And everybody wants to be paid to remove the ads, or to offer basic features like 4K or surround sound. I've also noticed a big slowdown in the production of high-quality originals.

Anyway, we pay roughly $160/mo for YTTV plus gigbit fiber internet. Another $20-30/mo or so for a few streaming services that are constantly rotating in and out of the line-up. It's still less than our old cable triple-play (dropped in 2013), but not by much. So yeah... maybe we have come full circle.

https://youtu.be/fq_XeZyp1QY?si=uS_aGJjoiZJfsv03
I was all ready to dismiss this as clickbait, but I have watched Caleb from time to time over the years (mostly for hardware reviews) and he is a knowledgeable source. The linked video was informative to me.

I think his Golden Age of TV is over "tease" overstates the current case, but his underlying arguments have merit IMO.
  • Price increases for streaming packages had to increase, we all knew that would happen in time. We were paying $40/mo in 2018 for PSV, now we're paying $75/mo for Hulu+Live for a comparable package.
  • There are just too many streaming service now for all to be profitable, so a consolidation is inevitable - that could be good for consumers.
  • I know that what we pay for Hulu+Live is still less than any cable or satellite provider *** where we live now, and Chicagoload where we used to live. If that changes at some point, we'll simply look at alternatives. TV is not that important to either of us, especially live TV (other than sports?). I would be happy with less live programs and more on demand, DW maybe not...
  • I haven't noticed any ads on Roku, so I'm not sure what he's talking about. I see lots of ads embedded in programs and free YouTube channels, but not at the Roku home level? And ads don't seem any worse on any streaming platform than what I remember of our cable or satellite days?
  • I am not surprised to hear streaming platforms are going to try to thwart "subscribers" who binge watch, cancel and move on to another platform in rotation. We've done that with Max and Apple TV+, I don't think we'd ever subscribe to either ongoing.
So I guess we'll see how it all plays out. I'd welcome fewer but broader streaming choices - the way they've splintered hasn't been to the benefit of consumers.

*** we have 4 TV's with 2 on some times watching different programming. I've acknowledged for quite some time that if you're a 1 TV household, cable or satellite pricing may be comparable to similar streaming packages. If you're watching on 2 or more TV's at a time, Hulu+Live is still cheaper than cable or satellite where we are.

Last edited:
I don't want to take the time to watch the video, but I see ads on Roku when viewing LiveTV and on-demand. And I've even seen ads sometimes when pausing. Same thing on Peacock, which I don't think happened when I first got it a few years ago. Too many ads, and I don't want to pay to watch ads.

[*]I haven't noticed any ads on Roku, so I'm not sure what he's talking about. I see lots of ads embedded in programs and free YouTube channels, but not at the Roku home level?

The only ads on the Roku home page is on the far right column. Usually it's for a program available somewhere on the platform and not for other consumer products. I don't consider that intrusive.

This new technique of Google TV (and I presume Fire TV) of having an ad disguised as a program that is camouflaged along with the content tiles is very disturbing.

I don't want to take the time to watch the video, but I see ads on Roku when viewing LiveTV and on-demand. And I've even seen ads sometimes when pausing. Same thing on Peacock, which I don't think happened when I first got it a few years ago. Too many ads, and I don't want to pay to watch ads.
I never watch Roku Live TV, so that’s why I didn’t know what Caleb was talking about. Thanks.

So I’m paying $77/mo for Hulu+Live, and people keep saying streaming isn’t a bargain anymore. We get more channels than we need, unlimited cloud DVR, no contract, and we can use any 2 of our 4 TVs simultaneously.

So I checked what Spectrum has to offer for TV at our home. It’s an understatement to call their pricing plans deceptive. The basic plan is $64.99/mo for 12 months, then $84.99. Includes Disney+ (I get Disney+ & ESPN+ included with Hulu). And there’s a $25.75 for local live channels. And $12.50/mo for a box. We’d want two, so that’s another $12.50/mo - I guess we’re out of luck with 2 TVs. And if we want DVR, that’s another $9.99/mo for 12 months, then $19.99. So $125.75/mo+tax for their basic plan, $155.75/mo+tax in year 2.

What a joke…:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The only ads on the Roku home page is on the far right column. Usually it's for a program available somewhere on the platform and not for other consumer products. I don't consider that intrusive.
That's nothing, but I've been watching House on-demand on the Roku channel. There are 4 or 5 breaks up to around 2 minutes of ads each time. Occasionally the ad break will be very brief. And of course, Roku Live TV has ads also. I don't know what the youtube video mentioned specifically.

So I’m paying $77/mo for Hulu+Live, and people keep saying streaming isn’t a bargain anymore. We get more channels than we need, unlimited cloud DVR, no contract, and we can use any 2 of our 4 TVs simultaneously.

So I checked what Spectrum has to offer for TV at our home. It’s an understatement to call their pricing plans deceptive. The basic plan is $64.99/mo for 12 months, then $84.99. Includes Disney+ (I get Disney+ & ESPN+ included with Hulu). And there’s a $25.75 for local live channels. And $12.50/mo for a box. We’d want two, so that’s another $12.50/mo - I guess we’re out of luck with 2 TVs. And if we want DVR, that’s another $9.99/mo for 12 months, then $19.99. So $125.75/mo+tax for their basic plan, $155.75/mo+tax in year 2.

What a joke…:mad:
This looks like the range of what it is here, although there is some variation depending on the channel lineup, whether you want additional sports channels, and if you want more DVR hours. And the $10 autopay discount must be from a checking account. The last I had cable TV with the extended channel lineup, back when those channels were all analog in standard definition well over 10 years ago, I was paying $40 to $50/mo and using a home theater PC for a DVR (with tuner cards). Now, I still use a PC based DVR but with ATSC tuners cards and an antenna and get the main broadcast networks in HD for free, albeit I don't get all those other cable channels, there's plenty on streaming free and paid to make up the difference and then some.

Last edited:
Currently I have Hulu on demand and Peacock. Both subscribed at year end deals. They do have ads but no where near as bad as cable. And recently I subscribed to Philo for $25/mo. It’s live tv with no sports and the ads are similar to cable’s but I dvr what I want and FF through. So right now I’m paying $30ish per month. In the Fall I’ll drop Philo and go with a service that has sports(football).

I saw Caleb’s video and I thought he went a little overboard on his theme. But if some of these streaming services do consolidate and require contracts for a period of service then that will cause problems for people like me who rotate services routinely.

TechHive story dated 01/19/2024:

Get ready for more ads on the Roku home screen

Roku already has ads on the home screen of its streaming sticks and TVs, but now it’s eying additional “immersive” and interactive ads, according to a report... Roku VP Kristina Shepard said the streamer is eying “immersive [advertisements] in more parts of the home screen,” complete with interactive elements.

I never watch Roku Live TV, so that’s why I didn’t know what Caleb was talking about. Thanks.
I finally watched the video. He was talking about an ad on Google TV, not Roku, although he said you can expect to see it on every platform. So, he wasn't talking about the ads in LiveTV or On-demand.

He mentioned people cutting the cord and switching to streaming, but I recall people cutting the cord and putting up antennas to tune in HD channels also, which is what I did when I cut the cord rather than streaming.

Maybe a third party launcher on an Android based device would be the answer to avoid ads at the platform level.

Last edited:
Currently I have Hulu on demand and Peacock. Both subscribed at year end deals. They do have ads but no where near as bad as cable. And recently I subscribed to Philo for $25/mo. It’s live tv with no sports and the ads are similar to cable’s but I dvr what I want and FF through. So right now I’m paying $30ish per month. .
There's some overlap there with Peacock and Philo since they both have Hallmark channels. Although, Peacock Premium doesn't let you DVR, so you have to wait on the ads. In my final years with cable, at least I could skip over the ads with my PC based DVR.

There's some overlap there with Peacock and Philo since they both have Hallmark channels. Although, Peacock Premium doesn't let you DVR, so you have to wait on the ads. In my final years with cable, at least I could skip over the ads with my PC based DVR.

I use Peacock primarily for live golf coverage and a talk show or two that are sports related.

He mentioned people cutting the cord and switching to streaming, but I recall people cutting the cord and putting up antennas to tune in HD channels also, which is what I did when I cut the cord rather than streaming.
I’d be fine with using an antenna for local channels, but DW isn’t having it. I have hooked up an antenna and showed her how good it looks, but switching sources/inputs is a no go for her. She would also lose DVR local programming a further no go (TiVo isn’t an option for her). I’ve learned to pick my battles…:blush:

Last edited:
That's nothing, but I've been watching House on-demand on the Roku channel. There are 4 or 5 breaks up to around 2 minutes of ads each time. Occasionally the ad break will be very brief. And of course, Roku Live TV has ads also. I don't know what the youtube video mentioned specifically.

Yes, there are ads within programming on Roku Channel. But Midpack was asking about ads on the home page of the Roku OS.

Well, that sucks. However, because of Roku's simple 3X3 icon tile layout on the home screen there really isn't much space for ads. That's not to say they can't reconfigure their home screen and free up space for ads, but then users would lose the simplicity of their interface, which I think is a great selling point.

Back
Top Bottom