Vanguard for Everything?

But what if some hacker hacks into Vanguard, and all accounts are frozen for a week or two? I am just thinking if the Chinese government can hack into Google, there is no reason hackers can't hack into Vanguard...

[Just a hypothetical, I don't think it's actually gonna happen, but what if??]

I would be more worried that it would happen to my bank... I make payments to vendors etc. from my checking account all the time.. Some of them do not like being paid late (fees, higher interest etc.)....

I can live without getting into Vanguard for a two week period almost all the time... the one time that I might need to get in there is probably not going to line up with the Chinese hack....

... I agree with ziggy about their brokerage costs, but it is so nice to have it all under the same roof and I do not trade much at all.

Ed, just curious...how can you trade at all with Vanguard, as a Canadian resident? Their policy against letting residents of Canada do any trading led me to transfer all my assets to Fido. Fidelity is fully aware of my Canadian residency/US citizenship and lets me trade 'til the cows come home.

I recently moved everything from Fidelity to Vanguard. I am a indexed guy that re balances annually or when needed. When in Fidelity I kept looking at Vanguard's superior performance in a fund to fund comparison and then the final straw was realizing Fidelity's answer for a Tips fund was way more expensive and much less "pure" than Vanguard's. So I switched it all to Vanguard, re balance with no fees whenever I want and feel much more confident that the indexing is really pure indexing.

As good as any..better than some... but as soon as LT Treasuries start paying 8% or more? They'll be handling alot less of my $..

Or can get a 20 yr, 6% Muni...

You'd think people would be more discreet about admitting they have their entire nest eggs in one place what with identity theft and whatnot. I suppose the fact that so many have admitted to doing so in spite of the risk means it's real that people are consolidating.

Back
Top Bottom