Venice Florida

My husband and I live in OH and plan to retire in 2 years. We are also thinking of Venice. Did you go there? What did you think?

We might head down to Florida and check it out in February. A friend has relatives in Cape Coral and just got back from there yesterday. She said she loves that area. I guess the best thing to do is take a road trip down the Gulf coast from Tampa to Naples.
Have you been checking out the realestate online? It is amazing the deals one can get down in that area.

venice

Thanks for getting back to me. Have been looking at the real estate, wish we were in a position to buy now but have to sell here first and we're a few years away from retiring. I think it will stay low for several years. We just got back from Naples where we spent Christmas with friends and I have been in Sarasota before but not lately. Like both areas but Sarasota is too much of a city (although it's nice to be near it) and Naples is geared around gated golf communities which we're not interested in. I like the sound of Venice as we like living in an area where we could live close to town and walk to restaurants etc., but of course you can't really tell until you see it for yourself. We're going to be in FL again in March and plan to spend a few days in Venice. There are a lot of beautiful parts of FL and at some point you do just have to make a decision or you could wander around forever. If you get there ahead of us let me know what you think. In reading this thread it sounds like you're looking for a lot of the same things we are.

In order to live in the actual town of Venice where you walk to the restaurants you are not talking cheap real estate . That part of Venice is know as Venice Island and brings top prices . You may be seeing cheap real estate advertised in South Venice which is less desirable or Venice Gardens . There are lots of developments in Venice that are now reasonably priced but they are not in the downtown area . Venice also has it's share of golf communities but it is more laid back than Naples .

venice

Aproximately what would a (decent but not luxurious) two bedroom condo on Venice Island go for?

Aproximately what would a (decent but not luxurious) two bedroom condo on Venice Island go for?

The minimum would be $300,000 and that is for a real basic condo on Venice Island . There are tons of condos off the island that go for a lot less . In case you want to check this out go to Realtor .com 34285 is the zip code for Venice Island and 34292 or 34293 is the zip code for off the island so you can see the difference . The lesser expensive areas are very nice and it is a five minute drive to the island where the shops and restaurants are . Feel free to PM me with any questions . I lived in Venice for almost six years and I still go there regularly .

We just put a contract on a home in Venice,,,,it wasn't accepted and we landed in Bonita Spgs......just north of Naples.

Good luck,

The Left coast of FL is pretty good end to end.

Chris

Venice Island Real Estate and Area Information

Go to page 11. There are some affordable properties.

They are affordable and as soon as you completely renovate them they will be great . Just because it says Venice Island does not make it desirable . The areas near the hospital are all commercial with a few houses thrown in ( not a great area ) . On page 8 there is a house on Golden Beach for $325,000 that has great possibilities . All in all the prices have certaintly dropped and there are some great buys .Or you could live 10 minutes from the Island in a great community and get this for the same price .
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/554-Fallbrook-Dr_Venice_FL_34292_1104938929

Port Charlotte is not Venice . They are two entirely different areas . Port Charlotte does not have beaches and it's more rednecky .
I know. The listings are for Venice.

Not yet. Orlando is the furthest south I have been. I have been searching for homes on the net for the last two years. We are going to expand our search, but still cocentrate from Tampa to Naples. Venice still looks good. After I retire we will probably rent for 6 months in the area while we decide where to live.

When I was deciding where to move we subscribed to the local newspaper for six months . You can really get a sense of a place from the local newspaper . Check out The Venice Gondolier if it is on line . It's a hoot ! We were living in New Jersey at the time and reading how they were upset in Venice because some of the merchants did not decorate their garbage cans for Christmas .:)

When I was deciding where to move we subscribed to the local newspaper for six months . You can really get a sense of a place from the local newspaper . Check out The Venice Gondolier if it is on line . It's a hoot ! We were living in New Jersey at the time and reading how they were upset in Venice because some of the merchants did not decorate their garbage cans for Christmas .:)
The Venice paper is online. I looked through it several times a while back. They have the same problems everyone has. It did remind me of my hometown.

http://www.sunnewspapers.net/default.aspx?c=9

http://homes.welcomehomeflorida.org/realestate?tp=homes.suncoast.com&classification=mdRealEstate&temp_type=results&min_price=100000&max_price=200000&fv_zipcode=34284%2C34285%2C34292%2C34293

I thought that was the Turks and Caicos!

CBC News Indepth: Turks and Caicos

I just got back from a cruise that stopped in Grand Turk. There's not much there. The biggest developed section was the tourist area (including a new Margaritaville) built specifically for cruise ship passengers. There was a nice new hospital that the Canadians are supposed to open in the near future, though. Total population is supposed to be around 8,000. It's a great spot if you like scuba diving, fishing or just getting a suntan. If you're into other pursuits, a different spot might suit you better.

We are starting to lean away from Venice and are thinking more north along Natures Coast. We want more open space, wooded areas and nature. Found a little 5 acre hobby farm near Chiefland for $165,000. I just can't see myself living in a housing development.

We are starting to lean away from Venice and are thinking more north along Natures Coast. We want more open space, wooded areas and nature. Found a little 5 acre hobby farm near Chiefland for $165,000. I just can't see myself living in a housing development.

That area is really sparcely populated so if you have any health problems I'd steer clear of a remote area of Florida . Also the gulf water up there is tannic so it's brown and there are no beaches actually not much of anything .After taking a closer look ,it seems Chiefland is an hour or so away from Gainesville so that's pretty nice for medical facilities & football .

Are you familiar with Clearwater and areas north?

Some of the areas I'm familar with maybe not as much as I am with Venice and Sarasota . My sister lives in Weeki Wachee so I travel past all those towns frequently . Do you want to live near water or would you consider inland . The Gainesville area is very nice . It reminds me more of New England than Florida .

Some of the areas I'm familar with maybe not as much as I am with Venice and Sarasota . My sister lives in Weeki Wachee so I travel past all those towns frequently . Do you want to live near water or would you consider inland . The Gainesville area is very nice . It reminds me more of New England than Florida .

At first we wanted to live close to the beach, but if you have to drive to it, it really doesn't matter if it's ten minutes or an hour, after all when one is retired time isn't an issue. I live on a lake now, so close to a lake would be preferrable. I have heard Gainesville is nice.

from New Jersey--too much snow and property taxes time to move.
I heard some good things about Venice Fl. The plan is probably early next year to rent something in Venice and start looking. Some one said there are still really great buys in Venice. Anybody knows what are desirable parrts in Venice.(on the right side of the track)

I heard some good things about Venice Fl. The plan is probably early next year to rent something in Venice and start looking. Some one said there are still really great buys in Venice. Anybody knows what are desirable parrts in Venice.(on the right side of the track)

Yes, The 34292 area of Venice is nice and right now there are some great bargains there . It is close to everything . There really are almost no bad areas in Venice but South Venice & Venice Gardens are much older homes and not as nicely maintained . I also moved there from New Jersey and rented for a year . The year gave me plenty of time to figure out exactly where I wanted to live . In fact six months would have been enough to make the decision.

As others have said, there are a lot of great areas in Venice. I live on Venice Island and the beach, restaurants and stores are all within easy walking distance.
Check out zip code 34285. There are a lot of great deals on the island for homes and condos. I just spent 5 minutes on the MLS. Downtownt condos were in the $150,000 range. I found 2 across the street from the beach (no beach view but 100 yards away) were $170,000. There are plenty of condos on the island less than $175,000.
Let me know if I can answer any questions about Venice.

Back
Top Bottom