Very distressing encounter

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW and I were coming home this evening from running some errands, and we saw a neighbor/friend out walking his dogs. We've known him for 10 years, gone out to dinner with him and his wife, they visited us down in FL once, so while not a bestie at least a close and friendly acquaintance. He walks his dogs past our house a couple times of day, and I've spent hours standing out in the yard shooting the breeze with him.

So this evening when we saw him we stopped the car to say hi. I haven't talked to him in about a month, as we've been both traveling and having visitors. When we said hi, he didn't know who we were. He introduced us to his dogs and asked if we were living around here now. I think he was aware he should know us, but couldn't place us. We told him which house was ours, but he just looked blank. During the incredibly uncomfortable conversation he said a number of things that let us know he just didn't have a clue. I told him we lived next door to a couple that he despises (old HOA political conflict), and he didn't appear to recognize their names either.

I noticed he had a Tile on his belt loop. Obviously something has happened, and happened quickly. He also looked suddenly frail, and wasn't walking very well. And he has been fairly athletic all his life until a hip replacement a couple of years ago. DW is going to call his DW tomorrow.

I am guessing he must have had a stroke, but I don't really know. I don't think Alzheimer's or dementia can come on that quickly. No matter what, I'm a little surprised he was out walking the dogs, although he definitely knew their names and appeared to be following the same path he always has.

I know time gets us all eventually, but this was a severe shock. Am I likely right thinking stroke? Or are there other conditions that could result in this sudden memory loss. At least he was headed back into his house as we drove away.

Wow. Certainly thought-provoking.

Please let us know what your DW finds out.

This happened to my father. One day he was fine, the next day his short-term memory was nearly erased. I suspect he may have fallen; an MRI detected a spot of fluid on his brain. But he also had high blood pressure and never controlled it very well. So he could have had a stroke.

Either way, it was very sudden. A gradual mental decline followed.

Something that can do it quickly is sepsis... my mom had that and as she said 'I left my mind at the hospital'...

She was declining before that, but during her stay at the hospital declined a good amount and quickly...

Alzheimers victims are very good at covering behaviors. Since the disease comes on slow they adjust to the new normal. My parents covered for several years. My brother & SIL saw them more often and spoke of things deteriorating. I did not see them as much and noticed a few behaviors. But nothing (in my view) serious.

We never got a good Dx until we got one in Palm springs winter home. The doc up north was a f'n quack. That is all I will say about him. By that time there had been some serious damage.

The disease also comes & goes. One moment lucid the next not much.

I would certainly call his DW and ask after him.

Alzheimers victims are very good at covering behaviors. Since the disease comes on slow they adjust to the new normal. My parents covered for several years. My brother & SIL saw them more often and spoke of things deteriorating. I did not see them as much and noticed a few behaviors. But nothing (in my view) serious.

We never got a good Dx until we got one in Palm springs winter home. The doc up north was a f'n quack. That is all I will say about him. By that time there had been some serious damage.

+1

Alzheimer's seldom comes on rapidly, some form does, but covering behaviors are wonderful tools. My DF fooled all of us, in retrospect it was there for years.

Stroke or perhaps they were having a momentary problem. Such things happen(TGA). Please talk to their family.

+1

Alzheimer's seldom comes on rapidly, some form does, but covering behaviors are wonderful tools. My DF fooled all of us, including his caregiver, in retrospect it was there for years.

Stroke or perhaps they were having a momentary problem. Such things happen(TGA).

That is sad just something else to look forward too.

Sad..hope you find out what's going on.

Two of my closest male friends are losing short term memory as we speak. Both about 73 and seemingly in good overall health.:(

Another reason to live life to its fullest every day. my brother is 62 and just started drawing SS, his health already isn’t the greatest but he has tentative plans for his first time Asia trip in the winter of 2020! He wants to save up enough SS to finance the trip, he says he wants stay and eat at nothing but 5 star hotels/restaurants with his newfound bankroll which I think is asinine, the guy is sitting on a good $400k savings account, maybe he’s loosing some thought processing too. Me.... I’d rather stay in $15 Asian hotels, eat $1.50 meals off the street and do things Right Now!

My mom’s dear friends husband is 73 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s around 10 years ago and he is getting to the point where he can’t swallow his food, he’s been on a liquid diet for a while now, it’s a terrible disease.

Last edited:
I've heard that metal on metal artificial hip deterioration can also cause dementia-like symptoms.

Sounds similar to Mom. She was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. She passed within 2 years of diagnosis. Much more rapid than Alzheimer’s. It's on the same spectrum as Parkinson’s, and motor skills go downhill too. Hallucinations. Sleep problems. It's cruel to watch a loved one succumb to LBD.

I've heard that metal on metal artificial hip deterioration can also cause dementia-like symptoms.

Hip replacement is part of the documentary that I watched a couple of days ago. Colbalt hip replacement are being questioned. Scary stuff.

Netflix: The Bleeding Edge”

Sounds similar to Mom. She was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. She passed within 2 years of diagnosis. Much more rapid than Alzheimer’s. It's on the same spectrum as Parkinson’s, and motor skills go downhill too. Hallucinations. Sleep problems. It's cruel to watch a loved one succumb to LBD.

My mom was just diagnosed this past spring. The doc said she's at about 60% mental function. While my dad and brother (who saw her a lot more) saw signs for the last couple of years, I didn't notice much until my last birthday, which was the first in over 20 years that she didn't call me at the time of my birth to wish me a happy birthday. :(

I figure we've got about 2 or 3 years. The worst days are the lucid ones, which just serve to remind you of what you're losing.

I noticed he had a Tile on his belt loop. Obviously something has happened, and happened quickly. He also looked suddenly frail, and wasn't walking very well. And he has been fairly athletic all his life until a hip replacement a couple of years ago. DW is going to call his DW tomorrow.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Tile" on his belt loop?

Very sad, its things like this that DW and I do think about as we age.

Someone I know had a fairly dramatic decline with Lewy Body Dementia.

+1

When my father's dementia suddenly appeared after being hidden for years, Lewy Body was suspected for a very short time. That's one that acts quickly.

Sorry for your loss.

Any way you look at it, dementia and severe cognitive decline is a terrible end to life.

Last edited:
Someone else mentioned stroke, and that can also be devastating. My former FIL had a stroke while having breakfast at work in his mid 50's. He had no physical effects from the stroke, but the severe cognitive loss was something I had no idea *could* happen. His mental status after the stroke was that of a 5 year old, and it stayed that way until he died 15 years later from renal failure. It was very, VERY hard on his wife.

My Mom had dementia and she also hid it very well for a long time. It wasn't until the last year of her life that family members who didn't see her often could see the effects, while those that were in her life everyday saw the signs about 3 years prior to her death.

Nonetheless, the OP gives me pause. Life is short but sometimes it's not short, but can be very trying at the end... and we should really live most days like it might be the last.

I don't know if your DW has made that call yet, but I might hold off. If you are going offer some concrete support that's one thing. It's obvious something has happened and when you need to know you most likely will get some info.

His spouse is dealing with lots of stuff and people calling just to find out what's going on can be intrusive. If you are willing to assist the two of them that's another matter and could be very helpful.

A good friend developed the same problem (short term memory) that we think was caused by falling and getting a concussion. He now has LifeAlert and falls many times per day.

It is hard to get him to commit when we want to arrange to meet for lunch. We have to pick him up since he can no longer drive.

Back
Top Bottom