Visit Beautiful Idaho

Idaho makes Florida look like boring. Maybe one day I will visit Idaho but not in winter..

I'd suggest Island Park, the "uncrowded" version of Yellowstone. If you do the southern end, even though it's not Idaho, Grand Teton NP, it's right there.

The Palouse Hills and Hells Canyon would make a great tour of SE Washington and North Central Idaho. Area has been featured in Natl Geo.

The Palouse Hills and Hells Canyon would make a great tour of SE Washington and North Central Idaho. Area has been featured in Natl Geo.

Absolutely agree and quite beautiful.

Which reminds me to suggest a rafting trip in central Idaho somewhere if you're into that sort of thing. There are lots of rafting companies that will take you on a variety of trips - from an afternoon to a week, from calm sections where you just paddle downstream if you want to pretty rough rapids for advanced people.

Which reminds me to suggest a rafting trip in central Idaho somewhere if you're into that sort of thing. There are lots of rafting companies that will take you on a variety of trips - from an afternoon to a week, from calm sections where you just paddle downstream if you want to pretty rough rapids for advanced people.

Salmon River Experience rafting out of Riggins Idaho is GREAT.

We a day trip like this in Moab...and they are pretty much geared to everyone, highly recommended.

I traversed ID on US-20, and I enjoyed both Craters of the Moon (already mentioned) and ERB-1/Idaho National Lab. But I am funny that way! :)

On my way to Craters of the Moon from Grand Teton National Park, we ran across some signs about the above labs. Did not know that they had visitor tours, else I could have made a stop. Well, next time we go that way.

Similar to Arizona, Idaho has a much different topography in the northern part of the state vs. the southern part. Below Boise, it's flatter and drier, while north of Boise, the landscape is very different.

And speaking of Boise, the downtown was very nice and had walkable city blocks. It was not congested and crowded at all. I had no problem finding a free street parking spot a few streets over from the aforementioned Basque block, then walking over.

Last edited:
We loved the boat "criuise" on Couer D'alene. You can buy tickets right at the hotel on the lake.

We also like Moscow Idaho-theres a long bike/hiking trail along the main roadway. And ice cream at the College in town. A couple good restaurants downtown

We also like Moscow Idaho-theres a long bike/hiking trail along the main roadway. And ice cream at the College in town. A couple good restaurants downtown
Moscow is great. Lots to see and do. I live there and am happy to let ppl know what to do if in the area.

I thought the stretch of I-90 crossing northern Idaho to Spokane was very exciting! Especially driving a motorhome.

Historical and natural things such as history museums and national parks. Scenic drives with plenty of overlooks are also great. Hiking is always fun, but I don't do steep mountains or icy trails. Thanks for asking. :)
Very timely thread!

I was just telling the DW that I want to visit Idaho this year. Also, my tastes are similar; I like historical and scenic places. I like to hike too, but my knees put steep or treacherous terrain off limits

Very timely thread!

I was just telling the DW that I want to visit Idaho this year. Also, my tastes are similar; I like historical and scenic places. I like to hike too, but my knees put steep or treacherous terrain off limits

Grand Teton NP..you don't have to hike the mountains..

I thought the stretch of I-90 crossing northern Idaho to Spokane was very exciting! Especially driving a motorhome.

Looking at a map, I recall that on the way back from Alaska, I drove the I-90 stretch from Wilbur (west of Spokane) to Butte, Montana, before going south on I-15.

I do not remember the stretch being challenging. It was more scenic as far as freeways go, as I remember.

Earlier, I talked about taking Highway 21 from Stanley to Boise, and found it one of the scarier roads I drove with my motorhome. The problem with these scenic roads was that I had my eyes glued to the road ahead, and had no chance to see anything else.

Just now, searched on the Web, and sure enough there was plenty of info about it. Here's an example.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/idaho/highest-driveable-road-id/

Looking at a map, I recall that on the way back from Alaska, I drove the I-90 stretch from Wilbur (west of Spokane) to Butte, Montana, before going south on I-15.

I do not remember the stretch being challenging. It was more scenic as far as freeways go, as I remember.

I was going downhill with lots of curves.

Very scenic.

South of Boise, there is a raptor center where you can spend a nice morning or afternoon. We followed the Snake River to Wyoming. It was a really nice drive with lots of historic points.

If you go across I-90, a stop in Wallace and a tour of the Oasis Bordello museum is interesting for history buffs. The bordellos in Wallace were going strong until 1988!

People are fleeing California for Idaho . . .

I take these type of articles with a grain of salt as right after the LA Riots and the northridge quake reports said that "people were leavin CA in droves" but studies show that the vast majority of them moved back in five years time. Maybe this time it would be different? I don't think so.

Northern Idaho, Kellogg is a historic, quaint, mining/railroad town worth a visit:

https://visitnorthidaho.com/community/kellogg-idaho/ ON I-90, so easy to get to from Western Washington.

Southern Idaho, Bear lake on the Utah/Idaho border has been mentioned, but i have seen no mention of the famous raspberry milkshakes available there at Garden City (on Bear Lake) at Merlin's. Quite worth a stop just for the berry milkshakes, or other raspberry concoctions. Garden City is a beautiful spot to relax for a few days.

Also, the Snake River canyon starting near Lewiston Idaho/Clarkston Washington is worth exploring. A few times I pondered moving to Clarkston for the beauty and small town feel.

Northern Idaho, Kellogg is a historic, quaint, mining/railroad town worth a visit:

https://visitnorthidaho.com/community/kellogg-idaho/ ON I-90, so easy to get to from Western Washington.

Southern Idaho, Bear lake on the Utah/Idaho border has been mentioned, but i have seen no mention of the famous raspberry milkshakes available there at Garden City (on Bear Lake) at Merlin's. Quite worth a stop just for the berry milkshakes, or other raspberry concoctions. Garden City is a beautiful spot to relax for a few days.

The fresh raspberries are seasonal.

Back
Top Bottom