Waffles or pancakes?

Germonico

Recycles dryer sheets
I grew up consuming "made from scratch" pancakes but later in life decided waffles were a better deal, mainly because of the physics of retaining syrup and butter for each bite. I've noticed recently it is more difficult to find waffles on the menu of breakfast franchises. Given the choice, would you order up pancakes or waffles?

Ah, for the days when I could eat those! An allergy to gluten (a protein in wheat) means I cannot eat them. But when I could, waffles, hands down for the reason you mentioned - more syrup and butter in each bite.

Waffles but only the Belgian waffle type.
Very good version at the Hampton Inn with their pre made batter.

Pancakes - with blueberries! Only time I have waffles would be as Dtail says - Hampton Inn. Now if I had one of those waffle makers in my kitchen then would possible be waffles.

Waffles but only the Belgian waffle type.
Very good version at the Hampton Inn with their pre made batter.

I find the "make your self" waffles at hotels are actually pretty good, BUT, I want real maple syrup on pancakes or waffles.

The key to homemade Belgian Waffles is to separate the egg whites, beat them separately, and then fold in to the batter. At least IMHO.

I guess I'm an oddball, because I prefer pancakes to waffles. Not sure why.

But the key is that I'm only interested if I have real butter and real maple syrup to put on them.

Waffles. No contest. Pancakes just get soggy. I make great waffles. Sadly, we can only have them a couple times a year, usually when the kids are around for the holidays.

I find the "make your self" waffles at hotels are actually pretty good, BUT, I want real maple syrup on pancakes or waffles.

The key to homemade Belgian Waffles is to separate the egg whites, beat them separately, and then fold in to the batter. At least IMHO.

How about making waffles out of sweat cream coffee creamer? Or, put some vanilla into the batter?

I have to use sugar free syrup. I really used to enjoy the real maple syrup at Cracker Barrel, but it's just too sweet for me.

So yes, my preference is biased. Butter churned from milking cows from our farm and maple syrup sent to me each year from Maine. If only some research would show maple syrup is actually more healthy than imitation.

I love both but unfortunately do not eat that type of food any more.

But in my dreams, if I could eat either, I would choose waffles.

Pancakes - with blueberries! Only time I have waffles would be as Dtail says - Hampton Inn. Now if I had one of those waffle makers in my kitchen then would possible be waffles.
+1

I sometimes score points with DW by making blueberry pancakes with bacon for dinner.

You are all wrong.

French Toast is the only answer.

How about making waffles out of sweat cream coffee creamer? Or, put some vanilla into the batter?

I have to use sugar free syrup. I really used to enjoy the real maple syrup at Cracker Barrel, but it's just too sweet for me.

Vanilla in the batter works, for waffles, pancakes and french toast (I put it in the eggs for the french toast).

Re: Real maple syrup at Cracker barrel: I doubt that was real, 100% maple syrup. The good stuff, from New England, has more flavor, and less sweetness, but maybe I am biased.

I buy the real maple syrup at the grocery store, the Canadian stuff.

You are all wrong.

French Toast is the only answer.

Can't argue with this. When it comes to a pretty simple, homemade breakfast, french toast is hard to beat. Might try Dtail's idea of the thick Challah bread next time.

But you still need the real butter and real maple syrup:D

And absolutely use real maple syrup. Grandparents milked 4 cows twice a day to their dying day. They had a separater on their front porch. Grandmother would save back the cream but would send the milk to town for $$$. The butter and ice cream she made will absolutely send me to an early grave appointment. I will take the goodies she used to make with the cream and butter over longevity any day.

Either is fine with me, as long as I have real maple syrup. My wife makes great buttermilk pancakes, but if we go out for breakfast I usually opt for waffles or French toast. The pancakes at most restaurants taste like yellow cake mix which I do not enjoy. Most of the smaller mom and pop shops still make good pancakes but they're getting harder to find.

I make waffles at home but can only make two at a time in our iron. So they're either cold by the time we eat them, or everyone else is done eating before I'm finished cooking them.

Not supposed to eat grains but I do cheat now and them. DD took us to a neat restaurant and ordered chicken and waffles. I couldn’t resist. Washed done with a mimosa and it was a great visit with DD. I’d take waffles over pancakes any day.

I buy the real maple syrup at the grocery store, the Canadian stuff.
Yes if there is no real maple syrup then I'm not eating either, or french toast. A trip to the sugar bush was a rite of spring.

I like them both, but if I had to quit eating one it would be waffles. Pancakes are easier to stack high, cook at home, and better with fruit IMO.

VW

In my childhood, my mom made some great waffles using a waffle iron. She would add some extra cinnamon to give them their special taste. She did make pancakes once in a while, and often made French Toast, also adding some extra cinnamon.

In the winter, I often ate waffles at local diners as a late-night snack, such as after a movie. Those were the big Belgian Waffles and I liked them a lot, too. I was also introduced to the Challah French Toast, also good.

My ladyfriend makes me pancakes once in a while. Having Type 2 Diabetes, I can't eat them too often now. She bought a waffle iron recently, so she makes them for me. When I visit my brother on Thanksgiving weekend, my SIL makes pancakes or French Toast. She is better at the French Toast. If I could only convince her to make waffles, I don't think she has a waffle iron in her huge kitchen.

I stick to the Belgian Waffles on the rare occasion I go out to eat breakfast, at a diner usually. Haven't eaten them at an IHOP in 15 years. I did eat some good pancakes (topped with chocolate chips, this was pre-diabetes) at a Steak n Shake once.

Swedish pancakes (as made by DW) followed by waffles then regular pancakes. Swedish pancakes because the taste is better even if they don't hold butter or maple syrup well. Regular pancakes last because waffles hold the butter and syrup better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom