Waffles or pancakes?

Ah, for the days when I could eat those! An allergy to gluten (a protein in wheat) means I cannot eat them. But when I could, waffles, hands down for the reason you mentioned - more syrup and butter in each bite.

If you are interested, I can send you a recipe for waffles made with garbanzo bean flour. Very good.

I find the "make your self" waffles at hotels are actually pretty good, BUT, I want real maple syrup on pancakes or waffles.

The key to homemade Belgian Waffles is to separate the egg whites, beat them separately, and then fold in to the batter. At least IMHO.

I agree on the egg whites. It's a hassle but it makes a difference. Also, a yeast batter made the night before and allowed to raise in the fridge really helps.

To answer the OP, I would order pancakes because there is less of a chance they will screw them up. Waffles are better, IMHO, but they have to be done right.

Last edited:
I make waffles at home but can only make two at a time in our iron. So they're either cold by the time we eat them, or everyone else is done eating before I'm finished cooking them.

FWIW, I have found two good ways to reheat waffles:

1. Put them back in a hot waffle iron for 30 seconds to a minute.

2. Spread some butter over them and then give them a few minutes in a hot air fryer.

Fresh is best, but the above two are certainly good.

I can make only 1 at a time, so it's eat when it comes out and I eat last. Or first if it's only me.

Blueberry waffles, batter made with half whole wheat, half AP, lots of butter, and maple syrple...

Normally I would say waffles because we never had them growing up. The best hotel waffle mix I’ve found uses malted batter but most places just use plain batter. I’m going to order some malted batter from Amazon one day soon. I’m hooked on Cracker Barrel pancakes even though the syrup is no longer 100% maple. It’s the best non maple syrup around. I’m not a big syrup eater, anyway. I prefer honey. They usually give me 2 tiny bottles and I only need half a bottle. I think they cook their pancakes on cast iron griddle. Delicious.

Years ago, when oldest ds was three, we took a vacation to Texas and Louisiana. DS would not eat waffles, just pancakes. Went to a waffle house restaurant and tried to get pancakes. “Ma’am” (elongating that “a” sound with a southern drawl, “This is the Waffle House”. I really didn’t know they didn’t serve pancakes. I mean, IHOP serves waffles!

Waffles are my choice. BUT the only way to make a breakfast right with waffles is real butter and real maple syrup. When I was in high school, we tapped the trees, collected the sap and then boiled down the watery sap into the delicious brown syrup! Spent Saturday several nights in the sugar shack boiling maple sap with my girlfriend :cool:. Unfortunately, it was hot, muggy, and if you went outside to cool off, you froze your @$$ off! :facepalm: I made pancakes for the office several times (a tax season treat for the staff). Several people looked at the real maple syrup, then asked me where the good stuff was :facepalm:.

Waffles generally but I have to have Crackerbarrel blueberry pancakes a few times a year.

In both cases lots of butter and Vermont maple syrup then a long nap.

Years ago, when oldest ds was three, we took a vacation to Texas and Louisiana. DS would not eat waffles, just pancakes. Went to a waffle house restaurant and tried to get pancakes. “Ma’am” (elongating that “a” sound with a southern drawl, “This is the Waffle House”. I really didn’t know they didn’t serve pancakes. I mean, IHOP serves waffles!

Went to the Waffle House here in FLA. Loved the whole southern accent, but not impressed with the waffles. Felt they were like Eggos.
However did find the pancakes at Cracker Barrel to be very good and better than the ones at IHOP.

Pancakes.
Easier to make, soaks up the butter and syrup just fine.
Ingredients are more important than format. Fresh mix from a local flour mill, real butter, real syrup, ripe blueberries.
Syrup must come from trees, not corn stalks

Pancake. Then sausage patty on top. Add real syrup. Then waffle on top. Add a few blueberries. Finish with a little more syrup. I skip the butter, but that's just me.

This is an ongoing battle between DW and I. I like pancakes, homemade of course, with REAL butter and REAL Maple syrup. I'll eat homemade waffles, but we don't make them often.
DW, at least for breakfast, eats Eggos with that artificially flavored corn syrup. YUCK! :yuk: I can't even stand the smell of them as they are warmed in the toaster (You can't say cooked) I tell her she may as well eat the box they come in. I think she started eating them when DS was little, quick and easy, if not nutritious or tasty.
She grew up eating the artificially flavored corn syrup, I grew up with the real Maple syrup. She doesn't like the taste of real Maple syrup. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
She grew up eating the artificially flavored corn syrup, I grew up with the real Maple syrup. She doesn't like the taste of real Maple syrup. To each their own I guess.

Might be psychological.
I think most people are misled by the labeling:

REAL MAPLE flavored SYRUP

Pancakes because if you use enough oil to cook them they come out fried and crispy. It's hard to do that with a waffle maker.

I haven't had pancakes in years though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom