Walmart grocery pick up new app/website troubles

Hi all: lurking for a long time & enjoying all the interesting threads and advice. Can't believe THIS is the post I choose to be my first, lol, but couldn't resist chiming in as I loved the previous WM grocery site - so simple and user friendly.

I may have missed an earlier poster sharing this, but if not, and anyone who didn't get a survey may be interested in sharing feedback, the WM service rep advised me to email all comments directly to the team responsible for this lovely new online "experience":rolleyes: appsupport@wal-mart.com.

(Hope I'm not violating forum rules by sharing address: if so, moderator, please delete.)

While these are all "first world" problems, it was annoying to see all my favorites wiped out. I order the same stuff weekly and it's quite a big list. Used to just scroll thru a few pages from top nav showing all my regulars and click to add. Now have to manually enter every item in search, scroll thru all the options to find size/brand/flavor, then manually add to cart. Cumbersome: wish they could have migrated customer favorites over.

Another weird thing: the site moved a $2 item from curbside to shipping and proceeded to automatically charge me for shipping without asking. Cost exceeded item's price. I caught it and manually removed item before approving order, but it could have easily been missed.

Last edited:
I'm glad I read this thread before we did a pickup order today. Yes, things have changed, not necessarily an improvement but because I was forewarned I knew to look out for things that had changed.

I had one item that ended up being shipped and I eliminated it before submitting. But wouldn't that have been a surprise if I had not caught it!

Well at least some can order, I can't even add items to my cart.

I thought I'd be safe as I order on the computer and not the app. But no, they changed the website a LOT.

Now it's pictures to click and drill down, but they throw in suggested items ,
Example I click dairy, scroll down to find cream cheese, (with some BAGELS there).
But not the Bagels I buy :(

So it's going to be a learning experience , and if I fail, I will shop at Aldi et al.

I showed it to DW, and she said just use the "reorder" button.
She has experience shopping at Target and they have one of those buttons.

So I tried it and it's great, it shows all the items (or at least a lot) that I ordered before.
So as long as we eat the same stuff all the time we are good :D

Well at least some can order, I can't even add items to my cart.

I had a constant problem of the website saying "technical difficulties". I signed out of the website and signed back in and that helped some.

we loved the old walmart app too, but after using the new one this week, I see the possibilites. Before, if the store did not have an item, it would say "out of stock" and not let me add it to the list. Now, if it is out of stock, it goes to my delivery list. I noticed as store inventory changes, items jump from one list to the other, but never go away. I also noticed you order each of the two list (delivery and pickup) separately. So if you don't want delivery and have time, when it is back in stock the item should jump to your pickup list. I didn't have any technical glitches (maybe they have fixed them?). We ordered both list, picked up the groceries the next day and had the rest delivered the second day out.

we loved the old walmart app too, but after using the new one this week, I see the possibilites. Before, if the store did not have an item, it would say "out of stock" and not let me add it to the list. Now, if it is out of stock, it goes to my delivery list. I noticed as store inventory changes, items jump from one list to the other, but never go away. I also noticed you order each of the two list (delivery and pickup) separately. So if you don't want delivery and have time, when it is back in stock the item should jump to your pickup list. I didn't have any technical glitches (maybe they have fixed them?). We ordered both list, picked up the groceries the next day and had the rest delivered the second day out.

Thanks for the report, hope the technical glitch is fixed, that was my biggest problem. So for things that get put on your delivery list do you have to have over $35 worth to avoid delivery fees?

Thanks for the report, hope the technical glitch is fixed, that was my biggest problem. So for things that get put on your delivery list do you have to have over $35 worth to avoid delivery fees?

Not sure about delivery vs pickup. Also, I don't think you get charged if you join their paid monthly membership.

But for non-membership pickup customers like me, I had a $200+ grocery pickup order, but still was billed for shipping an item because I didn't have at least $35 in items specifically to be shipped.

Another fun discovery - I can designate a local store, lock in my pickup date/time and start building my order. Yet the website still defaults back to showing thousands of skus encompassing non-WM third party vendors and WM shipping-only items every time I search for a specific item to add to the grocery list. I have to go back and manually filter "pickup" in the nav menu each time. That is incredibly cumbersome and a strange glitch. Once you filter store location and "pickup" option , that should stick every time you add an addtl item.

Really seems like they cut major corners in testing phase of this IT update. There's no way WM grocery customers wouldn't flag some of this instantly.

Back
Top Bottom