We are OLED Converts.... Are You!

Interesting video, I watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing. They are comparing the high end Samsung unit, which costs about the same as the OLED. But I would be curious to get people’s thoughts on how a $1,000 Samsung QLED compares in real world use to to a $2,000 LG OLED.

I’m guessing that if placed side by side you would notice a difference. But in real world use is it noticeable enough to justify twice the price to the average consumer?

For $1,049 at Best Buy you can buy a 65" Samsung q70r. One step up over their 60r low-end model but 2 below the 90r that was in the previous video. So how does it compare to an Oled? It certainly won't compare as well as the 90r but it's not a bad tv. It just depends on the individual. A thousand more for an oled would be more than I would want to spend but that's pocket change to many.

For $1,049 at Best Buy you can buy a 65" Samsung q70r. One step up over their 60r low-end model but 2 below the 90r that was in the previous video. So how does it compare to an Oled? It certainly won't compare as well as the 90r but it's not a bad tv. It just depends on the individual. A thousand more for an oled would be more than I would want to spend but that's pocket change to many.

And both of those are 2019 models, so it would seem like they should either both be discounted more than that or I might as well wait for the 2020 models, which are just starting to show up.

My current thoughts are an ~ 77 inch OLED in the home theater and a ~ 65 inch Q90 QLED upstairs in the great room. The upstairs unit could handle ribbons at the bottom of sports and news as well as a brighter area with windows, etc. A dark home theater would be great for the OLED.

BTW, Shockwaverider, in my last house my setup looked almost exactly like yours only there were windows to each side of the fireplace. 55 inch Pnnasonic plasma monitor over a Heatolater fireplace. I bought the Heatolater mantle and surround to lower the mantle. It looks like you have the exact same unit. There were no complaints on the setup. All the speakers were in the ceiling except the subwoofer which was to the side on the floor. Good sound too.

Not easy to elaborate it is quite technical. One would need a Unix or Linux based media player with a hard drive. Similar to a DVR but before they were subscription based.

Huh? I was asking about... "stuff we download from our syndicate."

Having a TV in the bedroom is also a no no in our house.

We always recoil a s bit when we see TVs mounted above the fireplace. It is just too high for best viewing IMHO.

And I am also in the no TV in bedroom camp. Better for sleep patterns and uh etc

We always recoil a s bit when we see TVs mounted above the fireplace. It is just too high for best viewing IMHO.

And I am also in the no TV in bedroom camp. Better for sleep patterns and uh etc

We watched a few episodes of Last Kingdom in bed last night. :D

Last edited:
ShokWaveRider,

Looks great. Do you have a center channel speaker above the set, and left and right book shelf speakers, and is that a subwoofer way up high on the right?

Here is a photo of the entire setup. All devices are fed from a dedicated AV Closet behind the right bookshelf, so all wires are concealed. Everything is controlled by one RF URC MX-880 Remote control, so no pointing at devices to change channels, view content from media players, Display Security Cameras, Pipe Music to the Ambient Speakers that are in all Rooms etc. That is the "Old" TV that is now in the Bedroom, the new TV simply replaced it, I did replace the AVR as the old one basically karked it.

Attachments

• IMG_9576 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9576 (Medium).JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9577 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9577 (Medium).JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 31
  • HomeTheaterSetup-1.jpg
    HomeTheaterSetup-1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
ShokWaveRider, that looks like a pretty nice setup.

Nice remote but I kind of enjoy the recurring cognitive testing of my 3 (and different setup main level vs. Basement).

;)

ShokWaveRider, that looks like a pretty nice setup.

Nice remote but I kind of enjoy the recurring cognitive testing of my 3 (and different setup main level vs. Basement).

;)

Ha Ha.... I still have the Originals as backups in a drawer. The last time I looked I had to remove the batteries from one of them as they were leaking. One also needs them so the Main Remote can "Learn" the commands in some cases.

Since I got my URC MX-880 I never looked back. There are many others but I am not a fan. The 810, 980, the list goes on. The 880 is the only Hard Button remote I have seen with solid button contacts on the PCB inside. Most have an etched contact on the PCB and I had them wear out on my Early MX-810. I am not a fan of the soft touch screen remotes that are being sold now.

I have since been stockpiling MX-880's refurbishing them (Cleaning them up and testing all the buttons) then selling them on eBay. It keeps me busy. I still buy them, the ones listed as "For Parts Only" and fix them up. I also provide a 3D Printed Charging stand for them and other Value Added Extras. I have only ever had one that I could not fix, and then I simply used the plastics and buttons as spares for others. I think I have about 8 good units in my AV Closet, and numerous parts.

Oh well I digress, I do prefer a programmable, RF remote for "Complete Control" I have the programming software which also helps.

We went the OLED route several years ago with a 55" LG model. In 2018 we upgraded to a 65" Sony OLED. To me anyway, there is a huge difference in picture quality between OLED and LED tvs. The sound on the Sony was so good I don't even mess with the sound bar anymore. The LG didn't have good sound.

Now, if you ask my DW she might have a different opinion. For years she said she couldn't tell much difference between standard definition and high def.

Here is a photo of the entire setup. All devices are fed from a dedicated AV Closet behind the right bookshelf, so all wires are concealed. Everything is controlled by one RF URC MX-880 Remote control, so no pointing at devices to change channels, view content from media players, Display Security Cameras, Pipe Music to the Ambient Speakers that are in all Rooms etc. That is the "Old" TV that is now in the Bedroom, the new TV simply replaced it, I did replace the AVR as the old one basically karked it.

Nice sound setup. If you have not done so already, maybe try a vibration isolation pad underneath the sub.

Yep, same here. I can't imagine trying to watch a TV mounted that high up unless you were viewing from a distance, or sitting in a high chair. My neck would kill me after a few minutes. TV's and monitors should really be located at eye level.

Not to mention the heat rising from a fireplace would tend to degrade the electronics over time.

For a similar reason I never liked microwave ovens mounted above stoves. Years ago I used to repair microwaves and every single micro I worked on that was mounted there was caked with grease and grime inside.

I am also in the no TV in bedroom camp. Better for sleep patterns and uh etc

We had a TV in our bedroom for many years, both to watch movies in bed, and for the occasional "inspirational" video. :) Over time we found we preferred to watch movies on the larger TV in the living room, and other viewing declined over time. So, we eventually gave our bedroom TV to my mother-in-law and haven't had a bedroom TV for several years now.

Nice sound setup. If you have not done so already, maybe try a vibration isolation pad underneath the sub.

Nice suggestion, thanks. I will definately look into that.

We went the OLED route several years ago with a 55" LG model. In 2018 we upgraded to a 65" Sony OLED. To me anyway, there is a huge difference in picture quality between OLED and LED tvs. The sound on the Sony was so good I don't even mess with the sound bar anymore. The LG didn't have good sound.

I must admit, I was not aware that that many folks solely rely on the TV for their sound on a "Main" system. Bedroom maybe but not in a media or Main living room setup.

The TV sound was not even a consideration when I was looking. BTW LD Makes all the OLED Panels for all manufacturers at the current time. So I figured their electronics would be superior to others who just use the panel in their TVs. I could be wrong.

I've heard that it's bad to put a TV over a fireplace because of the heat.
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/mount-tv-above-a-fireplace/ and https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/please-dont-mount-your-tv-over-the-fireplace/ are two sites I quickly found about this. Perhaps with a blower enough heat is sent away from the fireplace. I'd be interested to hear facts or reliable sources that way otherwise. Something more than "I've had my TV over the fireplace for 3 years with no problem" one-off stories.

I also wouldn't want my TV up that high. It seems like it would encourage slouching. Plus I often sit with my laptop on my lap (maybe not good form either) and like to look up just over the top of the laptop at the TV.

Nice suggestion, thanks. I will definately look into that.

I must admit, I was not aware that that many folks solely rely on the TV for their sound on a "Main" system. Bedroom maybe but not in a media or Main living room setup.

The TV sound was not even a consideration when I was looking. BTW LD Makes all the OLED Panels for all manufacturers at the current time. So I figured their electronics would be superior to others who just use the panel in their TVs. I could be wrong.

Sound isn't nearly as important to me as picture quality. I was pleasantly surprised at the Sony sound quality. With the LG we had to use a sound bar just to get decent sound. Obviously, it's not going to be anywhere close to a high end sound system, but we mainly watch cable TV shows and rarely movies - so it doesn't matter as much.

I did a LOT of research before buying the high end Sony (instead of the latest LG). But, being old, I've purged all of that data from my brain. It had something to do with the processing power of the Sony - or something like that. When comparing the Sony to the LG, I felt the picture and movement was quite a bit better, however the Sony has a darker picture in general which can be a little annoying when watching dark movies. I'm thrilled with both TV's and still watch the 2015 LG a lot.

Interesting video, I watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing. They are comparing the high end Samsung unit, which costs about the same as the OLED. But I would be curious to get people’s thoughts on how a $1,000 Samsung QLED compares in real world use to to a $2,000 LG OLED.

I’m guessing that if placed side by side you would notice a difference. But in real world use is it noticeable enough to justify twice the price to the average consumer?
That's where I'm at. All HD TVs are so much better than the old TVs that I grew up with, that getting a little more clarity and sharpness and whatever else isn't worth a big jump for me. I still have an old 55" DLP in my lower level that's my main TV for watching football and I'm still waiting for it to die before replacing it. I'm sure it'd look a lot inferior if I put an OLED right next to it, but it still looks great to me.

I have an entertainment cabinet that is 4 ft high. Mine sits on top of that and is on an angle just left of the fireplace. A good height for me as there is not much looking up but not close to the floor either. If I had built in shelves next to the fireplace I'm not sure what I would have done.

We are not OLED converts - yet. We have 3 Sony's that are relatively new and we find the picture quality to be quite good on all 3. But I'm not ruling out OLED in the future.

Thanks for this thread. Like a few others here, we've had our Panasonic plasma for quite a while (I'm guessing 2007ish) and it still looks great to us. However, recently I've wanted to try out a streaming stick and it's not practical as I've only got 2 HDMI ports (used for DVR and BluRay player). So I'm tempted to start shopping. This thread has lots of good info - I hadn't realized OLEDs had come into a reasonable price range.

ShokWaveRider-

Hey thanks, I now know what to look for in a remote should I change my mind. That was always an issue for me: buy expensive remote and it STILL doesn't do everything, too much trouble to program, and/or too expensive to meet my value criteria.

Thanks.

Thanks for this thread. Like a few others here, we've had our Panasonic plasma for quite a while (I'm guessing 2007ish) and it still looks great to us. However, recently I've wanted to try out a streaming stick and it's not practical as I've only got 2 HDMI ports (used for DVR and BluRay player). So I'm tempted to start shopping. This thread has lots of good info - I hadn't realized OLEDs had come into a reasonable price range.

Not trying to talk you out of anything but they have these HDMI multiplexers that plug into your HDMI input and give you 3-4 more. About $10.

I have not tried them but I may.

I was wondering if any veteran OLED owners have had issues with Panel Burn in? I leave Channels on all day from about 8am till 7pm just for the background, especially the popular news channels and simply flick between them. I also watch many others during the day leaving them on for extended periods. After that I watch content and for the most part that is banner free, but it is becoming less and less common lately. I checked a few channels we watch today and ALL without exception have banners that stay in the same place, all the time. MSNBC, CNN, HGTV, Discovery, Bloomberg, National Geographic, MotorTrend, again ALL have sticky banners.

I was wondering if they will have a long term detriment to the TV Panel.

I was wondering if any veteran OLED owners have had issues with Panel Burn in? I leave Channels on all day from about 8am till 7pm just for the background, especially the popular news channels and simply flick between them. I also watch many others during the day leaving them on for extended periods. After that I watch content and for the most part that is banner free, but it is becoming less and less common lately. I checked a few channels we watch today and ALL without exception have banners that stay in the same place, all the time. MSNBC, CNN, HGTV, Discovery, Bloomberg, National Geographic, MotorTrend, again ALL have sticky banners.

I was wondering if they will have a long term detriment to the TV Panel.

Here's a tv forum that has a 4 year running discussion on burn in.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/oled-screen-burn-permanent-image-retention.2056624/

Back
Top Bottom