We are OLED Converts.... Are You!

Assume you're talking about me, since I think I'm the only one who made such a comment. Sorry you think I was chastising you, but if you do you misread my post. I said what I had heard about it, with two supporting sources that seemed decent. I then asked if there were reliable sources that said there weren't heat issues with a TV to be mounted over the fireplace, for my own information. I'd like to know whether that's a possibility in case I want it later. With the information I have, I wouldn't do it. You can do what you want with your TV.

Ha Ha, I was kinda joking, :) did you not notice the smiles and LOL in my comment..... No malice intended or received. To answer your question. Heat is not an issue, or least it never has been for us.

Firstly, you must keep the TV about 2 - 4" forward of the Fireplace Flue. The alcove should not of course be leaning against it, I have an airspace there. The Flue is double skinned, in the attic it just has a plywood support that actually touches it, which was up to code for when the house was build. So it would not present and issue there.

Secondly, manufacturer's do recommend a 10cm or so airspace around the TV. Yes I violate this one as I like a more "Built in" look. I could see a potential issue with a Plasma TV that runs very hot, but not for a LCD, QLED or an OLED. Our last LCD was in there 12 Years with no issues at all, this new TV does not get warm at all. I do check regularly just in case, but I am sure that novelty will soon wear off, I repeat, it does not get warm at all. I am more concerned about Burn In at the moment, because of my watching habits, but folk have begun to assure me that may be somewhat unfounded.

Did your Samsung come with TV Plus, I saw it on my neighbors TV when I was helping him install an antenna and at first, I was, "I don't get those channels at my house" I had to go home and google it to find out what was.
That's a real deal for Samsung! Over 100 channels, ya, you won't watch most, but a few channels for everyone.
Channel list,
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/tvplus/all-channels/

I have a Samsung Smart TV and I never heard of this. And I can’t find it in my Smart Hub thingy! I don’t use my Smart Hub much because I have DirecTV but I’d like to check this out. Searching in the Hub only gets me YouTube videos about TV Plus. Is this an app?

Nevermind. I did an online chat with Samsung. TV Plus is available on models from 2016 and newer. I bought my TV in 2017. The label on the back says it was built in Sept 2016. But Samsung says it's a 2015 model. So no TV Plus for me!

Last edited:
I have a Samsung Smart TV and I never heard of this. And I can’t find it in my Smart Hub thingy! I don’t use my Smart Hub much because I have DirecTV but I’d like to check this out. Searching in the Hub only gets me YouTube videos about TV Plus. Is this an app?

Nevermind. I did an online chat with Samsung. TV Plus is available on models from 2016 and newer. I bought my TV in 2017. The label on the back says it was built in Sept 2016. But Samsung says it's a 2015 model. So no TV Plus for me!

I am surprised they cannot provide this via a firmware update on older models.

I'm still rocking a Panasonic Plasma from 2009, which still has an outstanding image.

Mine's a 64" Samsung plasma from 2014 but it burns 600 watts. That thing is costing me a fortune now with everyone home all day.

It is over the gas fireplace and hangs from the ceiling on a pole. It's angled downwards in a 21' long family room. I can see it easily when I'm lying on the love seat off to one side about 6' away. The couch at the far end has built-in recliners so you just need the correct furniture. :)

Ray

Last edited:
I like OLED but I wanted a 82 inch TV for TOTAL WALL DOMINATION.

The largest OLED was 77 inch for $4200 at Costco, Bestbuy, Amazon. The next size up was 88 inch which was $8000 on a special order which would break my budget. I got the 82 inch Samsung QN82Q80R for $3100 which is one step below the QN82Q90R which was $4000. Blacks were close to a OLED but QLED TV are brighter añd more colorful. However there is no denial that the higher contrast level makes OLED picture slightly better than my QLED. I just refused to pay the substantial extra cost for a OLED for the size that I wanted. I believe that I made the right choice since size matters and the picture quality is close to an OLED.

I now have TOTAL WALL DOMINATION with quality only slightly less than an OLED without breaking the bank. High end QLED such as Q80R or Q90R are definitely higher value TV compared to OLED in the super size category. My existing Samsung 55 inch TV has retired to my bedroom.

Last edited:
I like OLED but I wanted a 82 inch TV for TOTAL WALL DOMINATION.

The largest OLED was 77 inch for $4200 at Costco, Bestbuy, Amazon. The next size up was 88 inch which was $8000 on a special order which would break my budget. I got the 82 inch Samsung QN82Q80R for $3100 which is one step below the QN82Q90R which was $4000. Blacks were close to a OLED but QLED TV are brighter añd more colorful. However there is no denial that the higher contrast level makes OLED picture slightly better than my QLED. I just refused to pay the substantial extra cost for a OLED for the size that I wanted. I believe that I made the right choice since size matters and the picture quality is close to an OLED.

I now have TOTAL WALL DOMINATION with quality only slightly less than an OLED without breaking the bank. High end QLED such as Q80R or Q90R are definitely higher value TV compared to OLED in the super size category.

Nice! How far back do you need to sit to enjoy an 82 inch TV?

Nice! How far back do you need to sit to enjoy an 82 inch TV?

10 to 12 feet. It feels "immersive" watching a 82 inch TV at this distance. Similar to an IMAX theater that you pay $15 per movie ticket.

IMO, a 65 inch or 75 inch TVs are too small to me to get this effect. Here is a link to my samsung Q80R TV which the picture quality comes close to a OLED. However, OLED TVs are indeed better than my QLED TV but OLED TVs are just too expensive for the size that I demanded.

Thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of the HDMI splitter - I got my new Roku setup today. We'll persist with the plasma while I shop - maybe an OLED will be our family Christmas present?

Thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of the HDMI splitter - I got my new Roku setup today. We'll persist with the plasma while I shop - maybe an OLED will be our family Christmas present?

Tip for the day on buying a TV. Best prices are usually Costco, Amazon, Black Friday, week before Superbowl and the end of year closeouts.

I discovered end of year closeout at Amazon are the best prices which occurs around February or March for Samsung when the new models arrive. I got a 2019 model QN82Q80R for $3100 which was originally was at $4999 at the beginning of the 2019 model year in April 2019 and then drop to $3999 in the Fall. When it dropped to $3100 at Amazon in February 2020, I pulled the trigger. It arrived undamaged and this TV is considered an upper tiered TV which means Costco do not carry it. (Mostly mid-tiered TV at Costco. Wal Mart carries lower-tiered TVs). Other brand TV may have a slightly different year end cycle. You can save a lot of money buying a year end car at close out prices and you can do the same with TVs.

Best Buy carries upper tiered TV and they do go on sale. However their extended warranty price was a $300 for only 2 years which they will not discount. I got a 4 yr extended warranty from Amazon for only $132.

I suggest deciding on what tiered TV that you want. Lower tiered for people who are on a tight budget (I suggest Walmart). Mid-tiered for value (I suggest Costco). Upper tiered for those who want the best. (I suggest Amazon with the 4 year warranty) If you time your purchase right and you monitor the price of the TV like the stock market, you can save some money.

Another tip: If you buy on Amazon, have it delivered in 3 weeks instead of 1 week. If the price of your TV drops in 1 to 2 weeks, you can cancel the order and then re-order at the lower price. You have to cancel your warranty and reorder the warranty too. I played this game and saved $100.

I've got my eye on the same model (or maybe the E9 but I don't think it's worth the extra money) to replace an OLD 55" Pany Plasma on the mantel. However, a 65" won't fit in the current place; I'll mount it to the left over the stereo rack.

We had to finish the solar installation and buying the e-car (Bolt) last year, then a month ago installing a wood (actually vinyl) floor downstairs with the solar rebate.
With what's left of the rebate, I'm planning on the TV.

Blow that dough!

I went from a Samsung F8500 plasma to the LG OLED. In my opinion the picture is as good as my old plasma. So much so that I now have 2 OLED sets. To me it’s hands down the best picture you can buy. It is pricey, however you can use it everyday.

We are still using our 55" plasma tv , it works great. It was bought a number of years ago for about $550. Supposedly they were to last only 5 years, at which time I would get a bigger & better tv cheap. Instead it keeps on working fine :facepalm:

I'm sure the new types are better, but I will want 80" or more.

Yes, I bought the same one you did only 55". 65" would have been nice but I'm completely satisfied. The depth of the colors and clarity of the picture still amazes me after 6 months. Just what we need during these times of staying indoors!

This entire thread has been depressing! I have an old DLP TV and still have two lamps (bulbs) remaining. I promised myself I can't get a new TV until both those bulbs are gone, so hopefully in a year or two!

Seriously though, I can't wait!

This entire thread has been depressing! I have an old DLP TV and still have two lamps (bulbs) remaining. I promised myself I can't get a new TV until both those bulbs are gone, so hopefully in a year or two!

Seriously though, I can't wait!
See my post #67. I haven't even replaced a lamp. I'm still happy with mine. Just think of how much the price of OLEDs will drop if you wait. But, if you don't like the picture now, don't wait.

@davebarnes Thanks, but not really applicable in this case. There is minimal sunk cost (around $40) no loss aversion, no status quo bias, and definitively no commitment.

In this case, I just hate being wasteful and don't like getting rid of something that works just because it isn't the newest shiny thing! I think most people note things they like and will probably purchase when the time is right. This is much like when I used up my old light bulbs before I purchased new LED bulbs or I ate the food in my freezer before buying new. There are no additional costs....in inconvenience, time, or money.

Well, the downside is ………. we have had our OLED for 3 weeks now, we are pretty impressed. However, we are finding ourselves watching a lot more TV. Well, not TV literally but Ad-Less content and movies. Not because of CoVID either.

We do not consider it expensive at all in the grand scheme of things. A half decent camera can cost almost double, and at the least the same price. Ours came with a 5 Year extended Warranty and a $100 gift card all included. All in all a pretty good deal methinks.

I hope I don't get yelled at for this but I am absolutely amazed that people are still watching plasma TVs and DLP TVs. I don't know how to say this, but if you think your plasma or DLP TV looks "great", you probably haven't looked at any other TVs lately, not even a cheap LCD, never mind a state-of-the-art OLED TV. I suppose another possibility is that your eyeglasses prescription is woefully outdated. Or perhaps TV picture quality is not a concern. Finally, maybe you don't want to spend the money. But please don't tell us your plasma TV looks great.

I hope I don't get yelled at for this but I am absolutely amazed that people are still watching plasma TVs and DLP TVs. I don't know how to say this, but if you think your plasma or DLP TV looks "great", you probably haven't looked at any other TVs lately, not even a cheap LCD, never mind a state-of-the-art OLED TV. I suppose another possibility is that your eyeglasses prescription is woefully outdated. Or perhaps TV picture quality is not a concern. Finally, maybe you don't want to spend the money. But please don't tell us your plasma TV looks great.
I don't think anyone likes being told what they should do or how they should view things. If our TVs are fine for us, it's not your business. I think most of us acknowledge that OLED is better, but not a big enough difference to send a working TV we're happy with to the landfill and spend more money. Certainly not because someone else says so.

I agree. My brother has a 55 inch plasma and it does look "OK" when I visit him. However, people need to understand that most plasma are 1080P TV and not 4K TV.

A 1080P TV is "OK" when the material you are watching is 1080P. The main point is that 4K versus 1080P is a HUGE difference. The latest 4K TV also upscale 1080P material to 4K. The results are like night and day. The greater resolution is not a big difference compared to the more vibrant colors, inky black levels, contrast ratio.

Most people who finally buy a 4K TV are amazed at the difference between a current 4K TV (QLED or OLED) and their older plasma and DLP. You are right in that people should use the word "OK" rather than "great". However, keeping their older TV is definitely "great" on their budget. :LOL:

Once my brother sees my 2019 82 inch Samsung QN82Q80R TV, he will want to upgrade.

1. The DLP consumes way more electricity than any new LED TV.
2. You can buy a 55-inch for $500.
3. Your friends/neighbors/children will no longer laugh at you behind your back.
1. Yep. I watch that TV maybe 200 hours in a year. If it uses 100W more than a new LED, that's 20Kwh, under $3/yr for me.

2. OK, send me $500 and I'll buy one.

3. Nah, they'll find something else about me to laugh at, and I don't care.

I don't think anyone likes being told what they should do or how they should view things. If our TVs are fine for us, it's not your business. I think most of us acknowledge that OLED is better, but not a big enough difference to send a working TV we're happy with to the landfill and spend more money. Certainly not because someone else says so.

I re-read Qslaptop comment and I did not get the impression that you got. I respect everyone's opinion and their 1st amendment rights. Qslaptop's comment and my comment are just pointing out the difference between an older TV and the latest TV and not telling people what they should do or how they view things. Your view of minimizing landfill waste is a noble one.

Back
Top Bottom