We are OLED Converts.... Are You!

Moved our relatively new 65" plasma to our bedroom. It still works great with non 4k feeds. We bought an 82" Samsung Q90R QLED for our living room because the window glare on an OLED would have shown too much refection. In a dark setting the OLED can't be beat, but in our case the reflection issues made the Samsung right for us. 4K shows are breathtaking.
AOgmbHjm.jpg

We recently purchased a 65 inch Samsung QLED TV for $850 from Costco online. Great picture and we like the 5-year warranty. Can't see spending $2000 for a OLED TV that "might" offer a marginally better picture.

Last edited:
Moved our relatively new 65" plasma to our bedroom. It still works great with non 4k feeds. We bought an 82" Samsung Q90R QLED for our living room because the window glare on an OLED would have shown too much refection. In a dark setting the OLED can't be beat, but in our case the reflection issues made the Samsung right for us. 4K shows are breathtaking.
We have a similar family room setup with windows, although not quite as extreme as yours. Side and back window reflections are an issue for us. Something for us to think about when we decide to replace our 6 year-old LCD 1080p panel (Samsung UN55H7150).

Can't see spending $2000 for a TV.

Especially when it will be pretty much worthless in a few years...… hold on I may have Karked it by then.

Seriously, $2k is nothing really for a TV. I would guess our complete AV system with the Media Players, Speakers, AVR, etc. cost way more than that, possibly 2 or 3 times more. Some TV's are selling for up to $14k. You gotta spend it some sometime, we are not getting any younger.

Our First 55" LCD TV was $3,200, it lasted 13 years and is now in the Bedroom. We only had that one TV till we purchased the OLED this year.

Last edited:
Our current living room TV is a 70" Vizio LED 1080p. It's about 6 years old and has some bad pixels that annoy me. We'd like to upgrade to 4K resolution but we also want something a little bigger at 75-77". For OLED, that would be completely cost prohibitive at $4-5K. TV is just not that important for us, no matter how good the picture is. And OLED does have some other downsides relative to QLED.

I've looked at both side-by-side and the OLED picture does seem better than QLED. But honestly, they both look fantastic to me. So for now, the difference is simply not worth that kind of money.

So we'll wait and see if OLED prices come down a bit (maybe around Prime Day?). If not, we'll get a very nice 4K QLED for less than half the price... maybe even at 82-85", which would be very nice for our large space.

Especially nice/important for photographers. There are three of us fine art photographers who get together to show work via USB drives attached to our TVs that we have had in or are planning to submit to shows/galleries, etc. We take turns hosting at each house along with our wives and dinner. The other two moved up to QLED sets and my performances were lacking. So, I had to upgrade too

Seriously, $2k is nothing really for a TV. I would guess our complete AV system with the Media Players, Speakers, AVR, etc. cost way more than that, possibly 2 or 3 times more. Some TV's are selling for up to $14k. You gotta spend it some sometime, we are not getting any younger.

I have a friend that has about $1.5M in his retirement accounts. With the dividends and other income from these accounts he averages about $4,500 a month in passive income. His wife is still working, earning $85K per year. House is paid off, no debt, etc. Kids are grown up and both working at good jobs. He is 62 years old, drives a 2010 Hyundai but wishes he could get a new Ram pickup.

I ask him, "Why don't you get the new pickup?"

"I don't want to spend the money", he replies.

"But you want the pickup, right?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to spend the money."

"Why not?"

"I just don't want to spend the money."

:confused:

AOgmbHjm.jpg
Wow! You got the Samsung flagship TV! I wanted the Q90R but I had to settle for the $3.1K QN82Q80R because the Q90R was close to $4K.

My only comment on your photo: I wall mounted my 82 inch TV to made sure the center height of my 82 inch TV coincide with eye level height. I then had to custom make my lower stereo cabinet to maintain that exact optimal height for TV viewing. I wanted the optimal TV height for the immersive IMAX theater effect and sitting 10 to 12 feet away.

Congradulations! I have another brother who just paid $40,000 cash for a brand new car but he does not want to spend more than $2,000 for a new 4K TV. Everyone has their own priorities.

Especially nice/important for photographers. There are three of us fine art photographers who get together to show work via USB drives attached to our TVs that we have had in or are planning to submit to shows/galleries, etc. We take turns hosting at each house along with our wives and dinner. The other two moved up to QLED sets and my performances were lacking. So, I had to upgrade too

A high end TV is like a painting. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For retired men: Young dancing girls on Youtube look better with a high end TV! :LOL:

For retired women: Brad Pitt also look better on a high end TV! :cool:

It really depends on what you really want in your life.

AOgmbHjm.jpg

Wow, nice bedroom!

That’s what moved DH to upgrade - he has been doing wildlife video and upgraded to a 4K video camera.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but with 4K TVs you generally want to sit closer to the set than you do with a 1080P set. Here is a guideline by TV size:
https://www.avu.ca/video/perfecting-proximity-finding-optimal-tv-viewing-distance/

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. When I’m in bed my viewing distance is about 10 feet. According to this article if I buy a 4K TV I could easily go 75 inches and be fine.

But what they don’t clarify is what if you have a 4K TV but are still watching a program that is only 1080? Most broadcast TV is still 1080 so does that mean the distance guidelines for 1080P sets would still apply?

But what they don’t clarify is what if you have a 4K TV but are still watching a program that is only 1080? Most broadcast TV is still 1080 so does that mean the distance guidelines for 1080P sets would still apply?

Most 4K sets have upscaling technology built in that would improve a regular HD picture.

So if you had to choose between a 65” OLED or 75” QLED for the bedroom which would you go with?

Probably the 75" if it can be conveniently mounted on a dresser or wall. However, for the bedroom, I probably would opt for a standard LED set vs the newer technology ones, unless that is where you do most of your viewing.

Probably the 75" if it can be conveniently mounted on a dresser or wall. However, for the bedroom, I probably would opt for a standard LED set vs the newer technology ones, unless that is where you do most of your viewing.

That is what I was leaning toward. The 75” would be really nice to have. Furniture has been the biggest challenge. I would normally just buy a traditional piece of furniture like a media console made of wood. But our bedroom is on the third floor and I don’t really want to have to deal with having people come into the house to carry it up two flights of stairs in the middle of this pandemic.

What about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SH86JK...colid=IA7LO653HSUB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'll follow this thread with interest. I haven't had a TV in nearly 2 years. My current "TV" is a 9-year old 27" iMac and I use it to stream movies from Amazon Prime or Netflix. But I was thinking about getting a real TV again.

That is what I was leaning toward. The 75” would be really nice to have. Furniture has been the biggest challenge. I would normally just buy a traditional piece of furniture like a media console made of wood. But our bedroom is on the third floor and I don’t really want to have to deal with having people come into the house to carry it up two flights of stairs in the middle of this pandemic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SH86JK...colid=IA7LO653HSUB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That would probably work ok if you do not mind the aesthetics.

We went with the 75" QLED but in the family room, not a bedroom. We replaced a 60" so I did not expect the size difference to be as great as it was. Very big TV, but a wonderful picture! I thought it would fit the stand we used for the 60" but was wrong. We ended up purchasing a Hemnes media stand from IKEA in black and it turned out to be a perfect piece. The black really worked well with the black TV. Although assembly was a bit of a chore. Granted this is in our family room and not the bedroom. We also purchased an $18 piece of clear glass from IKEA that matched the stand so that the TV legs would not dig into the wood. Worked out nicely.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-tv-unit-black-brown-00339218/

Last edited:
I took DH to Costco today to look at TV screens. He’s not into tech so I was expecting him to want something reasonably priced. They had a Samsung QLED and LG OLED C9 65” TVs side by side in the store. The LG was $2149 and the Samsung was $999.

He took one look at both and said he thought the Samsung picture quality was awful and told me to buy the LG set. That was definitely not what I was expecting!

I decided not to try to take on the task of loading it into my compact Tesla so I ordered it from Costco online for Monday delivery.

The LG CX model is the 2020 version but it was $2500 at Best Buy and the differences seemed pretty minor to me so I figured the 2019 model was the best overall value. The price includes a $100 Costco cash card and a 5 year Square Trade Warranty. And I get another $98 back between the Costco Exec Membership and the credit card rebate.

I’m excited. Now I have to figure out how to build the TV Stand I ordered from Amazon and get it all set up.

For those buying OLED's, consider keeping the box for future moves. The screens are so thin that they are easily bent.

For those buying OLED's, consider keeping the box for future moves. The screens are so thin that they are easily bent.

This is a given for us, we have so much storage space in our home it is silly, we keep all our boxes for everything we buy. To the point where I have to clear the spaces out of boxes for stuff we do not have anymore. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom