We met with our planner Friday

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We meet with our Fidelity financial planner every four months . Friday was our day . Some things she explained to us .

Do not take social Security till full retirement ( at least for the higher earner ) take from your retirement funds

When you go on medicare get plan F . according to her Plan F is the Cadillac and will be gone in a short time . Explained our highest expenses will be healthcare.

We spent 1 1/2 hour with her going over things with her ending saying please go enjoy yourselves . Call me anytime .

She is a mature planner and makes it all sound like retirement is a cinch and never sweat anything but health . Oh well DW will retire in less then 30 days and I am retired.

Are these recommendations specific to your situation or are these general recommendations she gives to everyone?

When you go on medicare get plan F . according to her Plan F is the Cadillac and will be gone in a short time . Explained our highest expenses will be healthcare.

I am curious that if plan F is gone shortly how will enrolling in it for a brief period be any benefit in the long run?

I am curious that if plan F is gone shortly how will enrolling in it for a brief period be any benefit in the long run?
That's a question on everyone's mind. A view often expressed around here: Once new enrollment stops the group gets older and uses more health care, so the cost of this policy rises more quickly than the average of all MediGap.

MediGap F doesn't go away, it just closes to new enrollment.

We meet with our Fidelity financial planner every four months . Friday was our day . Some things she explained to us .

Do not take social Security till full retirement ( at least for the higher earner ) take from your retirement funds

We spent 1 1/2 hour with her going over things with her ending saying please go enjoy yourselves . Call me anytime .

She is a mature planner and makes it all sound like retirement is a cinch and never sweat anything but health . Oh well DW will retire in less then 30 days and I am retired.

Here it's cheaper to pay for Plan G premiums + deductible vs. Plan F premiums.

As Michael says, plan F isn't going away for anyone who enrolls in it prior to 2020. At that point no new plan F enrollees will be permitted, but everyone who has it will be grandfathered and can keep it til they croak.

Last edited:

Depending upon many factors she could be right or wrong and there could even be a better way. Why did she not say the higher earner take SS at 70, since as a couple, one of you will probably live to 90 ?

Check out:
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/
or
Get more Social Security benefits with Social Security Solutions.

Either is a cheap way (about $40) to double check your FA didn't make an error and cause you to miss $1,000's in benefits.

Back
Top Bottom