Wellsley VWINX - Inflation Spectre

Wellesley (and to a lesser extent Wellington) is my "Tortoise and the Hare" fund. Has surprisingly weathered all sorts of market conditions, interest rate scenarios, etc - and just usually chugs along without a lot of volatility that you see in Growth stocks or other market sectors.

I made a pretty big "bet" on VWIAX years ago..hoping it continues to work out and be the 'slow and steady' fund that ultimately wins the race. I'm at a point in ER where I'm not a big fan of swinging for the fences and prefer the Tortoise to the Hare..

I always pondered Wellesley in the IRA and Wellington in taxable, have gone that way with major part of the portfolio DW has IRA mostly in Wellesley and some STAR and in taxable we have Global Wellington VGWAX. Our Roth IRAs are in VG Ballanced VBIAX. Probably another way to do it but this has worked for us.

I had DW buy some Wellington in her regular account, and this year can see that was a mistake, as the declared capital gain is pretty high.

This is the classic issue with funds, compared to ETF's , due to the different structure of each Funds will often surprise a person with Capital gains declared , but an ETF does not.
It has been our experience as well.

So I think I'll keep those funds in IRA type accounts.

I had DW buy some Wellington in her regular account, and this year can see that was a mistake, as the declared capital gain is pretty high.

This is the classic issue with funds, compared to ETF's , due to the different structure of each Funds will often surprise a person with Capital gains declared , but an ETF does not.
It has been our experience as well.

So I think I'll keep those funds in IRA type accounts.

Can't wait for a Wellington ETF

We have VWELX and Fidelity's similar FPURX. FPURX has done slightly better for the last couple of years. If I add to a balanced fund it will be FPURX.

Back
Top Bottom