What are peoples views on AARP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I was thinking our 5 year family membership was so cheap I couldn’t see how it made much difference.

The difference it makes is that dues make you a member and membership numbers impact their ability to lobby.

I'm ambivalent about AARP, they have inundated my mailbox for years with offers to join, and I ignored them until I decided to get my medicare supplement from AARP/UHC. I got a discount membership from a Chase offer and since joining I also got a 0.1 percent offer to increase my savings rate on my Goldman Sacks savings account, which has more than paid for the AARP membership. I likely won't renew it when it expires, but it has been a no cost membership for me.

I have an AARP UHC plan also. I dropped AARP after the first year and have had no problem or changes in my health plan.

VW

I just did the same. I needed AARP membership to sign up for UHC plan G. I cancelled the AARP membership as soon as my Medigap plan showed up on my medicare account. I'm not rabidly anti-AARP, but I've seen enough issues in the last 10-15 years that I thought they needed to keep their lobbying out of. You can put me down as a non-supporter.

I like the magazine and newsletters that AARP send out. It’s great flip through material.

I have to date not used any of the discounts offered.

I ignore the political information sent.
I’m sure I don’t agree with them all of the time but then I don’t agree with myself 100% of the time. [emoji23]

Not sure I will renew my membership but not sure I won’t either.

I like the magazine and newsletters that AARP send out. It’s great flip through material.

I have to date not used any of the discounts offered.

Most of the discounts seem to duplicate what I get through AAA.

The magazines/newsletters have had some decent articles on health issues and how to avoid scams.

So, would you prefer AARP to exist or not?

Well, if you're looking for a black or white answer, you're asking the wrong person, as evidenced by my post. If their Medigap coverage is as worthwhile as some think it is, then I'll be happy to join up and take advantage. Even if not, I certainly wouldn't mind whether they existed or not. I'm not sure why you would ask that.

They slump slightly forward with bad posture, like the rest of us ! :LOL::cool:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I gave AARP a try. It was $12. A former friend in Arizona used to tell me how much she liked it so I figured, why not?

I quit after a year, not because I developed a strong opinion but because I did not even think I got $16 (the cost of renewal) worth of benefit.

Politically, they take positions and lobby for the benefit of retirees. They generally promote continuation/expansion of Medicare and Social Security and other things of interest to many retirees. To many this might make them appear to be politically liberal but in my opinion it is just taking a position that most of their constituancy would benefit from even if they do not agree with.

Politically I am pretty moderate. But part of my reason for quitting AARP was that I did not like the idea of my tiny increase in their membership numbers being used to promote a political platform that I do not necessarily agree with. In my view they have taken a similar approach to that taken by the NRA - offer dirt cheap membership then use high membership numbers to lobby for positions that the leadership favors without truly engaging with members on what they care about. (Sorry if this bothers some people but that is how I see it.)

The one time I thought I was getting a benefit was when I got $20 off a hotel room. Was never even asked for membership card at checkin. So I still claim that benefit without being a member and have not been questioned. I know, I'm a slimeball for that!

In summary, I don't see AARP as being bad, I can just reap the benefits without paying their tiny membership fee!

I am not sure what their political views are other than lobbying for seniors. Have been a member for a long time, simply because their monthly publications do provide information of interest.

Actually I think there is a contingent of us who feel somewhere in the middle. There are numerous AARP policies and agendas I disagree with but, on whole, I think seniors are better off with AARP existing than without.

Agree, our political system requires this sort of singleminded representation to get anything at all from it. Whether current programs for seniors are in the overall budgetary interest of the nation isn't up to AARP to negotiate.

I joined the first year I was eligible. Never found anything that I thought was useful or cost savings that I needed. I let my membership expire and to this day they have hounded me by mail routinely. I wish I had a nickel for every piece of paper they send me that I throw right into the recycling bin.

Mike

I joined the first year I was eligible. Never found anything that I thought was useful or cost savings that I needed. I let my membership expire and to this day they have hounded me by mail routinely. I wish I had a nickel for every piece of paper they send me that I throw right into the recycling bin.

Mike

My mother bought me an AARP membership for my 50th birthday present, as a joke. I have never sent them a penny since or communicated with them in any way.

They are still sending me frequent junk mail, 24+ years later. Just thought you all would like to know exactly where your money's going.

I bought a multi year membership for not much money. Once in a blue moon hotel discounts come in handy although truthfully nobody even asks for evidence you belong to AARP.

I don’t use them for much else. At some level on can understand them taking a stand to protect elderly government benefits but I disagree with their seeming opposition to any idea or even any discussion about what to do to put the programs on long term sound financial footing.

Well, if you're looking for a black or white answer, you're asking the wrong person, as evidenced by my post. If their Medigap coverage is as worthwhile as some think it is, then I'll be happy to join up and take advantage. Even if not, I certainly wouldn't mind whether they existed or not. I'm not sure why you would ask that.

I asked whether you would prefer AARP to exist or not because when there are pros and cons to an organization, their existence at all is an important consideration. Setting aside the approximately zero dollar dues and the not very worthwhile discounts, it seems like their value is being able to get the word out regarding issues important to seniors. Our leadership is Washington is well aware that their plans for us will be checked out by AARP and, if appropriate, publicized. (They seem to have a door into the media.) I like that they're watching the folks who have so much control over our destiny, even if I do not agree with all of their views on politics and social issues. I'd rather have them than nothing.

It's a bit like the ARRL for amateur radio operators. Lots of hams hate the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), but would you really want them gone? No one to detect early efforts to take frequencies or to add unpopular new rules by the Washington gang? No one to lobby the FCC? While I disagree with many of their policies, I like their watchdog role and wouldn't want them to disappear and then count on individuals to act alone to get the job done.

Last edited:
AARP has veered away from our political views - not discussing here so no "arguments". I believe that is how should be - if I don't agree I don't subscribe I don't devolve to arguing their values or mine

hotel discounts come in handy although truthfully nobody even asks for evidence you belong to AARP.

I have been asked. Sometimes asked for the member number when I make an online reservation, and a couple of times asked for the card when checking in. Hasn't happened for a couple of years, but was common for a while.

But you probably have an honest face, so they don't bother. :cool:

I have been asked. Sometimes asked for the member number when I make an online reservation, and a couple of times asked for the card when checking in. Hasn't happened for a couple of years, but was common for a while.

But you probably have an honest face, so they don't bother. :cool:

I’ve noticed a lot of hotels offer senior discounts, but most do not specify AARP.

AAA usually gets me a better discount for some reason. Maybe they are more aggressive at lobbying hotels for member discounts.

Last edited:
Member for a couple of years now. Sometimes get discounts that AAA doesn't have at hotels and such. Magazines are useful for money-saving tips. They have some free exercise videos I've done and sometimes have useful information on things like signing up for Medicare (not there yet, but dreading it.

I have never noticed any particular political bent, beyond "get out and vote" and "support lower drug costs". I find it odd that several people have complained about politics, but not given any examples of a position AARP has taken that they don't like. It would be useful to know what I'm missing.

I don’t like their politics but beyond that I really have no need to join.

I don't care about politics. It's all the same.

Also feel they are political. They pretend they’re doing you a favor….

*If you don’t think they’re political, you probably agree with their politics, so you don’t notice it. ;)*

But their Medicare supplement (which is United Healthcare) was great for my Parents. The had it for 30 years, both of them, and it always paid.

Last edited:
They pretend they’re doing you a favor….

Just curious, could you expand on that statement? "They pretend they're doing you a favor." What have you observed that causes you to say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom