What color was / is your collar?

I was a stained collar worker, usally a spot of ketchup or mustard and hamburger grease, ink or wine.

In 1984 ish I looked like a nerd scientist with my hair all dissheveled and pocket protectors in both short pockets with pens and steel rules, and an HP 33E calculator in my front pants pocket.

Well I started dating a young lady named Megan and on the first date she said you need to dress better at work, people think you're nuts. Next day, white shirt no tie, no pocket protectors. Same ever since, always white open collar shirt.

From 76 til 95 is was strictly white collar except from a 3 year stint with ab informal IT consulting firm where I wore kaki shorts and any shortsleeve shirt weather permitting. When I went to a client, the boss insisted that I wear long pants so on went the Levy's. For the last ten years, it was mostly colored collars except when the shirt was ovedue for a washing then it was ring around the collar.

Dirty white for me (IT programmer mostly but sometimes I have to crawl on the floor hooking up or taking away computers), sometimes pink (when I take meeting notes).

I am surrounded by blue-collars, but it's still refreshingly different from all the white-collar shops I worked at before.

Blue, and proud of it, used to work for a electric utility.......shredder

Back
Top Bottom