what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MichaelB, I am hoping that your mother likes her AL facility as much as my mother did. My (late) mom loved not having to do any more upkeep on a house or cook, and she also loved the opportunities to socialize and get to know the other residents. They had some great activities and IIRC she joined the bridge club and started working out with the other seniors there, as well as attending old movie screenings (on the big screen TV) that they held there once a week as a sort of event.

AL can be loads of fun, or so she said.... :D Anyway, I am happy for you that you found the right place for her. At least you will know that they are taking care of her or keeping an eye on her at least, and that can be a tremendous relief.

Last edited:
We're heading home after one week in Virginia and one week in DC. DH currently is driving. I'm curious to see how my just planted veggie garden is doing. It's been warm and fairly dry. I rigged a timed watering system before we left.

First order of business when we get home-shop for food. Second, mow the lawn.

It is so nice not to have to worry about getting ready for work tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

MichaelB, I am hoping that your mother likes her AL facility as much as my mother did.

+1
My mom fought me tooth and nail for years, until taking care of her in her own place became too overwhelming for me to continue it.

After a week in the AL place, she started asking me why I hadn't told her long ago about how great it was. :facepalm::LOL:

Bought my first ever deep fryer - a high quality one. Doesn't seem all that compatible with my newfound fitness kick, but as a rare treat...why not?

Hope to catch a few fish (lingcod, halibut, or rockfish) this weekend, batter em' up, and have anunbelievably fresh fish n' chip feast! Reminds me, gotta find myself a great beer batter recipe...

First time ever, rented an RV for the week. Drove down to the Ozarks, Stockton Lake. Traffic wasn't near as busy as I expected. Just got hooked up had a few issues, a very nice gentlemen from Springfield came to the rescue twice. Gave me more education than the gal at the rental place did. Should be fun, no real plans except fishing and maybe reading. There's a couple of TV I hope not to use them!

🐑

Went to that place where they give me money every two weeks. After coming home, brewed 5 gallons of an English Dark Mild Ale. Now I'm enjoying the fruits of my previous brewing session.

Winding down a 4 day visit from Mr B's brother and GF. I am so looking forward to having my space back to myself, as is Mr B.
Good houseguests but it feels like I have to be "on" all the time. Cooking for 4 was the hardest part, but I kept it simple...ribs and yams, spaghetti and meatballs and sausage, take out fish fry and scallop dinners. Daytime eating was "open the fridge" and find something to knosh on.
The guys made eggs and fried linguica for breakfast for us chickies today. :D

I am transitioning my indoor grown plant babies, all now about 6 inches tall, to their Earthbox and large planter destinations. I have all sorts of spring crops up and growing in containers. It is now time for the summer kids (tomato, eggplant, pepper, bean) to get hardened off. Then it's just down to watering, fertilizing with Neptune fish and seaweed stuff (I call it something else of course :LOL:) and responding to pest/disease issues.
The best part is about a month away...eating the fruits of my labors.

Not much longer and then it will be boat launching time ! :dance:

It's been an adventure so far. Finding out where everything is located has been fun. One nice thing I've found is RV'ers are about the nicest folks I've met. Answering questions, finding stuff where stuff was at. Even had a nice conversation with a couple that recently found out what their FA was doing for them. We had a very nice conversation about Vanguard.

🐑

Went to a 50's street concert on Main Street in Canon City, CO last night. Flash Cadillac played. Also antique and custom cars. Its a "bring your lawn chair" kind of thing. They played from 7:00 to 10:00. The kids danced and did hula hoops from about 6:30 'til 7:30, then the older kids, moms & dads, and a whole lot of geezers danced the rest of the night away. A lot of fun.

This morning I gave blood; only took 5 minutes.
Drove there on my own using the GPS, first time I'd used it.

Bees were delivered to our new hives; and just in time as we are now having the usual afternoon deluge.

Coffee (with heavy cream, so good) this morning and reading the news, then a long walk with the dog and now eating blackberries while I watch the SF Giants play the Reds.

Went clothes shopping (again) today to take advantage of my coupons. Losing weight has its advantages, but the clothing budget will probably be exceeded this year.

Later on I found out Michael McDonald....

th

will be in my vicinity this summer, so I may have to fling my new bra at him...with me in it! :D

Packing to move into my dream house! I'm tired but happy, and almost done. I don't know exactly when the move will be, yet, but I am good at living out of a suitcase if necessary.

Oh good for you, W2R! I'm awaiting my name coming down on a waiting list for a co-op townhouse, though not my dream home, unfortunately. Don't know when but have lots packed and ready to go.

That's great, LinCella! I hope your name comes up on that waiting list really quickly. My "dream house" is only a dream house for me, because it happens to be exactly what I wanted and where I wanted to be. Somebody else would just see it as another old small 1950's house and not think it was a dream house at all, but for me it is. :D

This morning I packed a 73.7 pound laser printer by myself so I think that is more than enough for today. It's time to put my feet up and enjoy a tall, cool glass of ice water this afternoon.

The first interested person came by to look at the motorcycle for sale. He seemed interested, said it was in better shape than most he's seen. But he doesn't have his motorcycle license (asked if he could take it for a ride - um, no) and it is definitely not a beginner's bike.

So a sale to him seems unlikely.

Just got back from a weekend getaway to Northern Wisconsin with some Porsche enthusiast friends. Because is was still early in the year it wasn't at all 'touristy' yet, and we had an enjoyable time exploring the alphabet soup of county roads around Manitowish Waters. Saturday turned out to be a beautiful Spring day in the Northwoods!

Attachments

• Presque Isle.jpg
    Presque Isle.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 27
The first interested person came by to look at the motorcycle for sale. He seemed interested, said it was in better shape than most he's seen. But he doesn't have his motorcycle license (asked if he could take it for a ride - um, no) and it is definitely not a beginner's bike.

So a sale to him seems unlikely.

Take it there was no point in asking for insurance card?

When I sold my bike I made them show me both.

Take it there was no point in asking for insurance card?

When I sold my bike I made them show me both.

Correct on the insurance card. If he'd had the motorcycle endorsement I would then have asked to make a copy of his license and insurance card. But if the guy doesn't have the endorsement chances are he's never ridden anything heavier than a dirt bike and odds are good he'd get hurt, not to mention damaging my bike. The C90T weighs 800 lbs - it is not a lightweight bike. He came with his father, about 50 years old and he seemed to know bikes.

Actually at this point I wouldn't mind if someone did steal it - it's insured. I guess leaving it in a shopping center parking lot for a weekend with the key in it would be a bit over the top though.:)

Enjoyed a big Tstorm in the State Park. Woke up at 3 am when the wind started rocking the camper. Around 5am, DW went to use the restroom, did a faceplant just as I was going to tell her to watch the step. Banged up her left arm pretty well. NWS had issued a tornado warning till 2am, yikes! Talked with a friendly guy from Springfield he told me you can't hear any sirens here the Park Ranger will come to wake everyone.

Today 95% of the poor w#rking folks left only 3 campers around. Should be quite.

🐑

Last edited:
Woke up early and decided to skip the morning "soaking" session. "Soaking" means laying in bed awake, doing some all body stretching, and just plain enjoying the freedom to do so. :D

Thunderstorms are predicted for the next 2 days. I'm glad I got the lawn mowed yesterday. Next two days will be devoted to indoor projects, changing the lawn tractor oil and filter, watching baseball, and enjoying the AC indoors. Summer has arrived very early here. I love the warm weather but anything above 80F keeps me inside (hot flashes) so I don't get overheated. That happened yesterday when I was helping Mr B and my gardening buddy put a cover over Mr B's MGB convertible to keep the upcoming pouring rain out. He is going to sell it for sure this summer, versus storing it inside the garage.

Off to do my indoor chores...:dance:

I took my stand-up paddle board out on the lake for the first time today. It's no coincidence that I waited for Monday morning when the weekenders are gone. I figure the fewer people around to see my inaugural attempt on the board, the better.

Balancing was easier than I thought it would be. I just (carefully) stepped off the dock onto the board when I launched and reversed the process when I returned. Only my feet got wet-- I expected a couple of splashdowns before I mastered the balance. Paddling the board was a little less efficient than I expected. I was out for an hour and improved as time went on, but I still need to figure out where to stand on the board and how to paddle/feather to keep a straighter track. I couldn't decide whether to paddle cross-handed and only switch hands occasionally, or to switch hands every 3-4 strokes.

Are there any SUPers here who wish to give me some tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom