what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back at w*rk this morning recovering from playing 5 hours of pickleball yesterday.

Had my first real lessons and learned that most of my mechanics are pretty good. Instructor changed my paddle grip though which put my game out of whack. Have a tournament in Arcadia, CA this weekend so need to be on the courts practicing rather than working!

My countdown to retirement is sitting at 5 months; 13 days; 13 hours; 13 minutes... very funny. Just happened to look up as I was writing and saw it.

Walked 3 miles at just above 19 min/mile.
Laundry washed/hung/put away.
Made beef stew in Crockpot.
Observed new bees.

Flushed the cooling system on the GMC pickup and put in new antifreeze. Read part of a book by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter "The Light of Other Days" that I picked up at the library.

Quiet morning putzing around the house.

Then some late spring planting in the backyard garden - turned in some fresh topsoil, planted cucumbers, beans, bell peppers and squash.

Made a run to the nursery for some bark/ground cover for the front yard flower beds.

The oldest son is back from his 1st year of college - so we tackled some pruning/trimming in the front.

Now relaxing before dinner with something cold on the back patio - enjoying the feeling of 'getting stuff done' before we munch on left overs from Sunday.

Finished my backup generator install. Fired it up and it works. Somewhat surprised. Then fired up the sprinkler system for the first time this year. Found a hairline crack in the suction line coming from the lake. Need to fix that someday. Then went kayaking, and then bought and planted some more flowers.

Put up and filled ten glass shelves in new home.
Can't say enough about how good "Invisible Glass" is. Beats Windex or anything else I've ever used by a mile. DW is equally a fan of this stuff.

Best part is I don't have to go to the auto supply store any more for it -- my local supermarket carries it now.

I took my stand-up paddle board out on the lake for the first time today. It's no coincidence that I waited for Monday morning when the weekenders are gone. I figure the fewer people around to see my inaugural attempt on the board, the better.

Balancing was easier than I thought it would be. I just (carefully) stepped off the dock onto the board when I launched and reversed the process when I returned. Only my feet got wet-- I expected a couple of splashdowns before I mastered the balance. Paddling the board was a little less efficient than I expected. I was out for an hour and improved as time went on, but I still need to figure out where to stand on the board and how to paddle/feather to keep a straighter track. I couldn't decide whether to paddle cross-handed and only switch hands occasionally, or to switch hands every 3-4 strokes.

Are there any SUPers here who wish to give me some tips?

I don't have any tips but I'm jealous you were out on the SUP already. I did some paddle boarding on vacation in February but it hasn't been warm enough here in CO to get out on the water yet. I can't wait!

I don't have any tips but I'm jealous you were out on the SUP already. I did some paddle boarding on vacation in February but it hasn't been warm enough here in CO to get out on the water yet. I can't wait!

It snowed up here in the mountains for about an hour this morning. :LOL:

New deep fryer got a workout! Made fish and chips for 10 of my favourite people. And we still have one big lingcod fillet left! I love the great PNW!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 19
Yesterday I went down to the city to get the oil changed and new tires for the Jeep. I got the oil changed, but the tires had to be ordered at Costco so I have an appointment on Friday to get them installed.

I also had a jammed nail gun that I could not get freed so I took the jammed parts to an authorized service center and they got it unstuck. I will put it back together today and make sure it works. If not, I have a new one from Amazon that is supposed to be delivered from this evening. Its worth the $200 to have a spare so I don't loose any more days for building than is caused by the weather.

It rained all night again last night and this morning it turned to snow. We had about 1.5 inches of very wet snow. The good news is the pond that has been dry for a few years is getting full. The bad news is the floor on my house is getting soaked unmercifully. I hope it will be OK when things finally dry out. Rain or thunderstorms forecast for the next 10 days.

Read an article in the NYT on a specialty pencil store in NYC so I wanted to find the pencils mentioned locally. I'm a supplies slut...was happy to find a satellite store of my favorite art supply shop (FLAX, San Francisco), in the next town so dragged myself out of bed, showered and went and spent $45. Then stopped to get cannoli filled and set for dessert tonight.

Went fishing in Stockton, came back with 1 two pound smallmouth bass. Not quite enough for dinner we'd brought two salmon filets with us so fresh bass with salmon, and grilled potatoes.

🐑

Very productive day. Took the kids to the bus, then the dog and I went to the beach for our early morning walk. Super low tide meant I cold go much further south and much further north. (High tide my walk is less than 1.5 miles... Low tide it's up to 4 miles... today was a 4 miler.)

Came home and spent 5 hours studying for my Italian 102 final tomorrow. Then picked up the boys from school. Took younger son to the orthodontist (and studied while he was getting rewired) then to the orthopedist where he got his cast off. He's now sporting a splint for 2 more weeks. That pretty much is the nail in the coffin for his baseball season. He missed the first month with his broken elbow.. played under 4 weeks then broke the other arm's wrist. Playoff games are next week and then the season is over... right when he'd be cleared to play.

Now I'm going back to studying Italian... Getting confused on the ci vs ne thing and mixing up imperfetto and futuro semplice... I think I've got the double object pronouns down though. I do not feel confident about this test.....

We're still on a decluttering streak. The project for today was taking old electronics to Staples for free recycling. We filled their counter then called it a day so they wouldn't get mad at us for bringing in too much stuff. I still have one more printer to go I'll take another day.

For dinner we went out to our favorite Thai restaurant.

Turned in my notice of retirement acknowledgment form. Last official shift should be 7-17-15. I am scheduled to be on vacation that day. Good timing if I say so myself. I'm feeling good though a bit of ambivalence is creeping in. I suppose that is natural, especially since it's been 28 years of literal blood, sweat, tears, and pride of the fire service. I am honored to have worked with some of the best of the best. Any advice or stories of dealing with the ambivalence of leaving a great organization welcomed.

Johnny - congrats! I worked for a city for over 25 years as a librarian and I loved the library and the city administration, but I couldn't stand my department head one moment longer than I had to. It's so sad that other people can make your life miserable in what was a really fun job.

As a firefighter, you have earned some relaxation!

Turned in my notice of retirement acknowledgment form. Last official shift should be 7-17-15. I am scheduled to be on vacation that day. Good timing if I say so myself. I'm feeling good though a bit of ambivalence is creeping in. I suppose that is natural, especially since it's been 28 years of literal blood, sweat, tears, and pride of the fire service. I am honored to have worked with some of the best of the best. Any advice or stories of dealing with the ambivalence of leaving a great organization welcomed.

Congrats, Johnny! Those are tough jobs when the action starts. I would guess you were on hand when 1/2 of Bastrop went up in flames about 2 years ago!

No advice, but just remember that you earned the privilege to retire. ;)

DH assembled delivered office chair. My back is no longer in danger.

I spent the day goofing off, recovering from an outing with my gardening buddy all day yesterday. Mr B had to study, so I decided that some cold beer and chicken wings was on my menu for the day. We hung out on a sunny open patio outside a dark basement bar (ratskeller type) until a cold front drove us indoors.
We ordered 20 garlic butter parmesan chicken wings and pigged out. I was reeking garlic all night and into today. :LOL:
I treated for the beers/food because my buddy spent his weekly budget on car repairs. He is always very grateful when I do that. I am always grateful when he helps me with heavy duty yard w*rk.

When I got home, I had to quickly move my containers full of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant inside my enclosed porch due to a possible patchy frost warning. I'm going to leave them inside the porch until the night time temps are safe to leave them outside overnight.

I slept in until noon today. It just feels so good to do that once in a while.

I spent today surfing while Mr B studies again. Red Sox game is on at 7 PM. :dance:

I planted some more flowers, but spent most of the day on the computer and napping after a busy day yesterday brewing beer and staying up past 1am watching the Blackhawks win a triple overtime game.

Still selling extra unused stuff in preparation for a move in one year. Today it was a Thule roof box.

In the past, I've priced stuff on Craigslist at a reasonable price only to have responders want to dicker downward. So, I priced the box at +$50 to what I wanted and the first person to call, paid the full price. :dance:

Yes, I did have a beer to celebrate. Now back to moving out the junk.

Spent the afternoon with friends and relatives celebrating my Aunt's 90 birthday.

Took my final exam in 2nd semester Italian at the local community college. I can now conjugate in various forms, know how to use pronouns and possessives... but can't understand when it's spoken to me unless they speak SLOWLY. Hopefully a few weeks in Italy will get me more used to the listening/speaking aspect.

That said - I'm pretty sure I got the highest score in the class... I had the highest score going into the final, and don't think I missed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom